Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Here is how I want my email set up:

I use Outlook to access my Gmail, I want to be able to have both Outlook and my Palm Pre independently download my email messages. What I mean by this is if my computer is off but my Pre is on, if Pre downloads the email to the phone, I still want Outlook to download the same message when I turn my computer on. Further, I want both to be set up via Pop and not IMAP so that I can delete messages locally on the respective email client while keeping a copy of the message on gmail acting as a back up.

What has happened when I have attempted to have both set up via Pop is if Outlook gets the email first, the email does not come to the phone at all, regardless of me having chosen in my outlook settings to leave a copy of the email on the server. The same thing happens if my Pre gets the email first, it then never shows up on Outlook. I have tried to do it where I have my outlook setup on Pop and my Pre set up on IMAP. This solves the above mentioned problem, however, when I delete messages from my phone they delete from Gmail as well, and then they won't download to Outlook.

I am attempting to be able to delete emails on my phone so that I can keep my phone's mailbox clean and only keep messages I want to keep on the phone, but I still need these messages to come into Outlook.

I used to have my gmail set up with my blackberry and had no problems having it set up this way. On an intuitive level, I really don't understand why this does not work like I want it to. Gmail has an option under it's pop settings to keep gmail's copy in the mail box even when a message is downloaded via pop. Messages remain as new if you log into gmail, which therefore makes me believe the same message should be able to be downloaded multiple times by different email clients. With my blackberry it worked this way, if a message was first downloaded by my blackberry, when I opened outlook later another copy of the message would download to outlook as well. If I had outlook open and it downloaded the messages first, blackberry would still download it's own copy of the message. I have tried everything, including speaking with tech support. I am very frustrated, and what I am attempting to do should be very simple!

Please email me if this doesn't make sense, I hope it does. HELP!!
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Again, I'm not really sure why this doesn't work because if you log into WebGmail messages which have come into either client show up as being new since I have chosen the option within Gmail do keep Gmail's copy. When it was set up like this before, when my blackberry then accessed gmail, it would download the same message again. I really don't understand how the respective email clients are being told that a message was already downloaded.
    I found that the only way I could get mail to come to outlook and to my pre was to use IMAP on BOTH. After a short while...I simply dumped outlook...I use gmail on my computer and the mail app on the pre...the gmail online on the computer is great...I have folder and everything....works great!
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    If you are still interest in POP I found something on gmail that says to set your username on the second device as "recent:username@gmail.com" I have done this with the username on my phone, and so far it actually seems to be working the way I want it to!