1.    #1  
    My father-in-law activated his new phone yesterday.
    He's ready to get rid of it today.

Apparently the ability to have "groups" in his contacts is a make-or-break deal with him (which he didn't bring up before we ordered it...

He also wants to have his contacts listed Lastname, Firstname MI.

(And his battery lasts 2 hours...)

I can handle the battery life issue.
    Are there any work-arounds or patches out there (or that can be made) to deal with this?

I know there were a lot of people complaining about the lack of groups before the phone even came out.

Thanks.
    Last name, First name isn't a problem...that option is within the contacts application.

In my opinion, given the abilities of universal search, viewing contacts in Groups (by Business perhaps) is unnecessary. Just start typing the contacts name, phone number, e-mail address, company, wife's name, birthday or whatever into the phone from the main screen and after 1 to 3 clicks you have that persons contact info on your screen and are on the way to a new e-mail, text, IM or phone call. Universal search just plain works and it works well.

That said if you use the Company name field as your group field you can use the Company + first/last name option to list entries that way.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Last name, First name isn't a problem...that option is within the contacts application.
    If it is, I don't see it (and I've had the Pre since Day 1.

In my opinion, given the abilities of universal search, viewing contacts in Groups (by Business perhaps) is unnecessary. Just start typing the contacts name, phone number, e-mail address, company, wife's name, birthday or whatever into the phone from the main screen and after 1 to 3 clicks you have that persons contact info on your screen and are on the way to a new e-mail, text, IM or phone call. Universal search just plain works and it works well.

That said if you use the Company name field as your group field you can use the Company + first/last name option to list entries that way.
    Yes. I explained the wonder of Universal Search.

Apparently he wants to look up e-mail addresses for people whose names he doesn't remember.
    He also said he doesn't want to go into each of his contacts and add special terms under "business" to help him sort.

But thanks for the help.
    i am having problems syncing only facebook friends with the contacts i have in my phone. i get all the friends instead of what contacts are in my phone.
    the best work around that I have found, and its not that great, is to use the nickname catagory. for instance, everyone that you want to be in a group called "friends", you put the word "friends" into the nicknames catagory for each entry. when you use the universal search and type in the word "friends" all the contacts with that nickname will be listed. its not pretty but it does work, on hitch to that for me anyways is that after selecting the person to call, to bring up that specific list again, you have to type in the word "friends" and select the next name, if you where calling a specific list of people. This can be a little of a pain but it does make it easier then scrolling through a few hundred contacts. hope this helps, and I hope someone that knows how to program can create a simpiler way of catagorizing contacts.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    If it is, I don't see it (and I've had the Pre since Day 1.
    I just checked again.....I have this as an option along with 3 others. Really....I do:

First Name
    Last Name
    Company & First
    Company & Last

Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    Apparently he wants to look up e-mail addresses for people whose names he doesn't remember.
    He also said he doesn't want to go into each of his contacts and add special terms under "business" to help him sort.
    But thanks for the help.
    I'm not sure what can be said about that. How do you look up a person on a list if you don't know what there name is??? Sounds like your trying to please a case of "old fart" gets a smart phone. I don't wish to be you. Good luck.
    I just checked again.....I have this as an option along with 3 others. Really....I do:

First Name
    Last Name
    Company & First
    Company & Last
    What he meant to say to was that your contacts can sort by either "First Name" or by "Last Name" not display the list as "Last Name + First Name".

Does that Clarify?
    Does anyone know how or if there is a hack that allows the universal search to show not only the name but the company name under the name like it does if you touch on a contact and open the contact?

I have the following problems/concerns/missing features:
    Example 1: I have 4 contacts that list as the company - ABC Paver, Pavers, DEF Pavers, GHI Pavers - but when I search for pave only the Pavers one shows up, why not all of them?

Example 2: I have about a billion (ok - 20) contacts that have the name of Jim. No last name, I simply know them as Jim from different companies. When I search Jim. I get a complete list of all the Jims, but I dont know which is which unless I open each one of them so I can see the company name.

HELP.... so much wasted time for a smart phone.
    Last edited by startagl; 11/18/2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    the best work around that I have found, and its not that great, is to use the nickname catagory. for instance, everyone that you want to be in a group called "friends", you put the word "friends" into the nicknames catagory for each entry. when you use the universal search and type in the word "friends" all the contacts with that nickname will be listed. its not pretty but it does work, on hitch to that for me anyways is that after selecting the person to call, to bring up that specific list again, you have to type in the word "friends" and select the next name, if you where calling a specific list of people. This can be a little of a pain but it does make it easier then scrolling through a few hundred contacts. hope this helps, and I hope someone that knows how to program can create a simpiler way of catagorizing contacts.
    But the nickname can not sync with the google contact
    seems like people need this feature. WAKE UP PALM
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by startagl View Post
    Does anyone know how or if there is a hack that allows the universal search to show not only the name but the company name under the name like it does if you touch on a contact and open the contact?

I have the following problems/concerns/missing features:
    Example 1: I have 4 contacts that list as the company - ABC Paver, Pavers, DEF Pavers, GHI Pavers - but when I search for pave only the Pavers one shows up, why not all of them?

Example 2: I have about a billion (ok - 20) contacts that have the name of Jim. No last name, I simply know them as Jim from different companies. When I search Jim. I get a complete list of all the Jims, but I dont know which is which unless I open each one of them so I can see the company name.

HELP.... so much wasted time for a smart phone.
    If you have the company name in your contacts, search the company name and the contact(s) for that company should come up. With your "Jim" situation, you could search for the company name and "Jim" would be one of the entries that is found. As far as the "pavers" situation, I think it comes up with the "Pavers" company because it starts from the beginning of the search field... sure, the universal search is very effective but you may be asking it to do more than it can. I don't know if the good ol' asterisk (*) will help... maybe search for *pavers??? Again, I don't know if that'll work, just thinking out loud...
    Jefola - You are right I can just serch via the company name instead of the persons name. As a work around. Additional problem is that I have serveral contacts from same company and it is not as fast as searching on Jim. Also I dont always remember company name but I can remember that I worked with a guy named Jim on the job and one search leads to another. (The memory thing is my fault but I am blaming the phone)

You are right on the search for paver. The search algo returns the most accurate match. But close enough is sometimes better.

I know nothing is perfect. But if we dont put it out there Palm or hackers cant fix. :-)

Hello Hackers - any takers on fixing the company name under the contact name?
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. - A.E.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by scott healey View Post
    What he meant to say to was that your contacts can sort by either "First Name" or by "Last Name" not display the list as "Last Name + First Name".

Does that Clarify?
    Yes it does. That's what I assumed he meant, but wanted to be sure.

webOS Developer
  14.    #14  
    I'm not sure what can be said about that. How do you look up a person on a list if you don't know what there name is??? Sounds like your trying to please a case of "old fart" gets a smart phone. I don't wish to be you. Good luck.
    Exactly. Although I would never refer to my FIL that way, of course.

I asked him how he would do it pre-Pre.
    Apparently it involves digging through Yahoo! folders and subfolders until he's able to come across a relevant e-mail, and then he finds who he needs.
    I informed him that the chances of said e-mail being on ANY phone he might choose were slim.

I've also brought up the other workarounds and that even if he switched to a phone with groups, he'd still have to type them all in.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

webOS Developer