1.    #1  
    Dear (soon to become) fellow PrPrPr&#$275$; $users$!

I'm expecting my unlocked GSM PrPrPr&#$275$; $to$ $come$ $in$ $from$ $Germany$ $every$ $next$ $day$, $and$ $meanwhile$ $I$ $grow$ $more$ $and$ $more$ $suspicious$ $on$ $migrating$ $my$ $data$ $from$ $my$ $Tr$&#$275$;$o$ $650$ $to$ $Pr$&#$275$; $in$ $two$ $particular$ $concerns$ ($note$: $my$ $desktop$ $is$ $Kubuntu$ $9$.$10$):

1. how can I get my data off my Trēo 650 into a form, that can be further sent to PrPrPr&#$275$;, $given$ $the$ $fact$ $that$ $I$ $can$ $not$ $manage$ $to$ $put$ $kPilot$ $to$ $work$ ($jPilot$ $works$ $just$ $fine$!), $_and_$

2. I do not find any confirming clue(s) neither in this forum, nor anywhere else that I could possibly sync my PrPrPr&#$275$; $with$ $akonadi$ $data$ $sources$ - $even$ $in$ $case$ $I$ $resolve$ $issue$ #$1$.

Am I alone with this problem, or can anybody suggest some workaround?

Thnx,
    Erix (a.k.a. Rednex)
    IBM WorkPad 20x-> IBM WorkPad 30x -> Palm V -> Treo 180g -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650
  2.    #2  
    Some of my own findings in this respect:
    1. KPilot 5.3.0 + pilot-link 0.12.4 + KDE 4.3.2 + Qt 4.5.2 can be made to work, but set-up is unstable on Karmic: syncing sometimes looses records, etc...
    2. as jPilot works all-right, one can export jPilot files to vCard and iCal (or vCal) files, which then can be used by KDE PIM application Kontact as contacts (address book), calendar (date book) and to-do (tasks) repositories - so that data can be re-used.

Ideas for next steps:
    1. it is said Kontact can be set-up to work with gmail calendar and contacts
    ---> and this works for me
    2. it is said Kontact can sync internally between its own repositories
    ---> could not make it work so far, have found no documental evidence that akonadi concept or Kontact application itself actually support such idea
    3. @ google one can import vCard and iCalendar files
    ---> for me worked with vCard, no success with iCalendar

So the plan is to set up google account, sync to there my desk-top data from Kontact, and then sync to google account my new baby

I still would expect some nicer solution - where I can directly sync my PrPrPr&#$275$; $w$ $desktop$, $and$ $aft$ $that$ $decide$, $what$ $of$ $it$ $I$ $want$ $to$ $make$ $live$ $in$ $cloud$ $as$ $well$.
    Last edited by Rednexx; 11/23/2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Ideas tested in real life...
    Erix (a.k.a. Rednex)
    IBM WorkPad 20x-> IBM WorkPad 30x -> Palm V -> Trēo 180g -> Trēo 270 -> Trēo 600 -> Trēo 650 -> Palm Prē
  3.    #3  
    Managed to make it work - somewhat, not satisfactory, but - at least it is something.

Shame on you, Palm! U're completely ruining your image of 'quick and easy' + 'bullet-proof reliable' PDA <=> PC synchronisation!

This my 7th or 8th Palm device, and this is 1st time I have such issues of migration!
    Erix (a.k.a. Rednex)
    IBM WorkPad 20x-> IBM WorkPad 30x -> Palm V -> Trēo 180g -> Trēo 270 -> Trēo 600 -> Trēo 650 -> Palm Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednexx View Post
    Shame on you, Palm! U're completely ruining your image of 'quick and easy' + 'bullet-proof reliable' PDA <=> PC synchronisation!
    Yes, but in their defense, when Palm talked about syncing easily to PC's it was never any of the non-Windows OS's that they were referring to...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Yes, but in their defense, when Palm talked about syncing easily to PC's it was never any of the non-Windows OS's that they were referring to...
    But then again: platform was popular (not only) because of points I mentioned regarding syncing. And that made open source community come up with as good sync with open source desktops as Palm's own.
    In case of PrPrPr&#$275$; $I$'$m$ $very$ $cautions$ $with$ $expectations$ $in$ $regard$ $of$ $general$ $open$ $source$ $community$ $being$ $interested$. $Especially$, $when$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $build$ $something$ $new$, $instead$ $of$ $cloning$ $something$ $that$ $exists$...

So my point is: Palm, make something worth cloning, and you will be loved by open source community!
    Erix (a.k.a. Rednex)