Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Looking at the story on 1.3.1 on the PreCentral homepage, it looks like Palm has finally fixed the Google My Contact Sync problem.

• If you set up Contacts to synchronize with a Google account, the account synchronizes only entries in Google's My Contacts, not all contacts.

Looks like I can officially retire my NuevaSync workaround.

I'll post back after I download and test.
    Last edited by acterry; 11/14/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Finally! This update brings a lot of little things that i appreciate!
    Update is still downloading... do you have to remove and re-add your Google account in contacts or will it automatically purge the extra contacts?
    Update - I had to delete and re-add Google from my contacts accounts to get rid of the extra contacts. Took a while to delete them, and I only had about 430 from all contacts.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Update is still downloading... do you have to remove and re-add your Google account in contacts or will it automatically purge the extra contacts?

I forced a manual sync a few times and it did not remove the extra contacts.
    So yeah, looks like you have to delete the contacts account and then re-add it.
    Thats weird i just did a manual sync and it seemed to work fine but i only had about 5 - 8 extra contacts because of my constant cleaning.
    So the question is, without removing and readding a gmail account, even if some of the all contacts are in there, will all subsequent contacts sync correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    So the question is, without removing and readding a gmail account, even if some of the all contacts are in there, will all subsequent contacts sync correctly?
    It would surprise me if it cleans them out without you deleting and re-adding google to contacts. It only takes a couple minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It would surprise me if it cleans them out without you deleting and re-adding google to contacts. It only takes a couple minutes.
    What I meant was, if I currently have some contacts on my phone from all contacts and I don't readd my google to contacts, if a new contact gets added to all contacts will it sync or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    What I meant was, if I currently have some contacts on my phone from all contacts and I don't readd my google to contacts, if a new contact gets added to all contacts will it sync or not.
    Gotcha. I would think not, but now I can't test the theory.
    First of all, I can confirm that I had to delete my google contacts account and re-add it to get the "My Contacts" sync functionality working. (Previously, I had kept all of my contacts in 'groups' and none of them were actually in "My Contacts"....

However, this identified a new twist in this issue:

As mentioned just above, a while back I selected "All contacts" and then "Remove from My Contacts" for all of the contacts that had been imported from outlook into Google by CSV file. I did this becuase I had already categoried every contact I imported by assigning them to a google group. (and I didn't really understand the distinction of google's My Contacts).

However, now that google has implemented My-Contacts-only sync in 1.3.1, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Google's 'suggestion' of folks to add to My contacts is limited to a list of about 20 or so of the people you email that most. I've done that, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to add all of my other legitimate contacts into My Contacts... In my case, all of my legit contacts are in groups, so they would be easy to distinguish from Google's useless auto-add All contact.

Does anyone have a workaround for this other than exporting and then reimporting my entire contact list? (which would require me to manually filter out the non-legit entries?)
    Upon some further investigation (for anyone else who might be in this predicament), G Contacts will not allow you to select Groups or individual entries listed as part of a group list and then show the "Move to My Contacts" button.

However, G Contacts WILL allow you select All Conacts, then select all (or individually), and then it WILL show the "Move to My Contacts" button. In my case, this will be the easier approach to bring all 750 or so contacts over to My Contacts and then select the 20-40 or so individually and then choose "Remove from My Contacts" for those I don't want on the Pre.

I guess this solves my issue, but I wanted to let others know and see if anyone had a better way to do this?
    I had the same issue... had to remove the contacts account, move all contacts to "my contacts" within gmail and then add my google account again on the phone and magically it all worked again
    Timely thread. Me likey.

I currently have a Treo 800w and will be upgrading to a Pixi.

I already have a Google mail (GMail) account. How is that different from a regular Google account for this sync service?

For instance, with GMail, have (send and receive), tons of e-mails and contacts that I don't have on my basic PIM info via my 800w. I hardly ever sync with Outlook. I'm afraid that if I use this service, all of those e-mail addresses from Gmail will port over to the Pixi.

If I read this thread correctly, can I create a Google Account strictly for my 800w contacts? What about other PIM info like notepad and calendar?

After this, and once I'm on WebOS, I might go with Companion Link for ease of use and less muss and fuss. More importanly, as a backup to WebOS's cloud-based sync service.
    my question is without removing and readding the acct again, will the pre just start pulling from "my contacts" going forward?
    btw: here's a tip.

use google chrome to manage google contacts if you have a lot of contacts (I have over 2000). Firefox really bogs down with that many users. Ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    my question is without removing and readding the acct again, will the pre just start pulling from "my contacts" going forward?
    My personal experience as noted above would be no. In my case though, I had My Contacts = 0 so maybe it didnt know how to kick into gear. All 700+ contacts stayed on the phone and I know for sure at least 2 who were deleted on GContacts in the past few days for which the deletion did not propogate to the phone (before I deleted and added the GContacts account back).

Now that I have deleted / re-added my GContacts account and moved my real contacts into "My Contacts", I can definitively state that the GContacts sync is working as it is supposed to and changes are being propogated in both directions.