1.    #1  
    I used to have a Centro and when I would enter a birthday for one of my contacts, that date would pop up in my calendar and send me a notification when that day rolled around. I have noticed with the pre, you can enter a birthday for a contact, but then what? The phone doesnt think it would be helpful to alert you of this event when it comes around? PS, I dont use google contacts or facebook. I just manually enter all my contacts. I would really love to have this feature back. It just seems silly to me that the entering of all my contatcs birthdays is in vain if I am then not notified on that date!
  2.    #3  
    Thank you. I read this. This article is what got me thinking about it. But, I purposfully mentioned in my post that I dont use google or facebook. I manually enter all my contacts. I'm behind that ball, I know and also besides the point right now.
    Ya I noticed that....I was attempting to nudge you in the cloud direction. Using Google really adds a lot to the functionally of the phone and also gives you the ability to manage all the data on the computer (any computer) as well. I can't see any reason not to embrace it personally.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Ya I noticed that....I was attempting to nudge you in the cloud direction. Using Google really adds a lot to the functionally of the phone and also gives you the ability to manage all the data on the computer (any computer) as well. I can't see any reason not to embrace it personally.
    Well, thanks for the nudge. I'll get there eventually, but for now I have to take one thing at a time and using Google is waaay down the list Any other suggestions?
    The only other thing I can think of is to create recurring calendar events and an accompanying reminder.....but this isn't going to pull this data from your contacts.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I really don't have anything to say about the birthdays issue (I use Google), but I want to chime in on the "using Google is waaay down the list" comment. You -- and others who might read your thread -- can put off using Google (or Yahoo which appears to supported in 1.3.1) as long as you like, but please have an alternative backup for your contacts if you're using the Palm Profile. I'm sure you've seen the posts by people disappointed when they discovered that they were unable to retrieve their contacts from their Palm Profile after an update, doctoring, or switch to a new Pre.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    I really don't have anything to say about the birthdays issue (I use Google), but I want to chime in on the "using Google is waaay down the list" comment. You -- and others who might read your thread -- can put off using Google (or Yahoo which appears to supported in 1.3.1) as long as you like, but please have an alternative backup for your contacts if you're using the Palm Profile. I'm sure you've seen the posts by people disappointed when they discovered that they were unable to retrieve their contacts from their Palm Profile after an update, doctoring, or switch to a new Pre.
    Theyre all written down on a note pad. I know, I know..........I just dont have the time to figure it all out. Im sure its not too hard but as a matter of fact, i just spent the last 2 hours setting up a Gmail account when I had already had an Igoogle account for the sole purpose of a google voice #. But, now I have the 2 google accounts, 1 email and one for the google voice ***** and I cant figure out how to link the 2 accounts. When I set up the Igoogle for the google voice, I used my aol address bcuz thats what i already had and am familiar with. So, I wanted to take everyones advise, set up a google email/contact source and now Im more frustrated than ever because I just want ONE account and I have two. Dont have time for this.
  8.    #9  
    The only other thing I can think of is to create recurring calendar events and an accompanying reminder.....but this isn't going to pull this data from your contacts.
    Best idea yet...I woudl really like to eventually see the info pull directly from the contact info into my calendar. Less steps
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaidan6453 View Post
    Theyre all written down on a note pad.
    Paper is better than nothin'. (Some poor folks had nothin'.)
    It will if you use Google :-)

Best idea yet...I woudl really like to eventually see the info pull directly from the contact info into my calendar. Less steps
    There is no linking. Google does not require (or asume you would use) separate accounts for each Google service (Gvoice, iGoogle, Gmail....). One account logs you into all of them. Just pick an account (perhaps the one you created for Gmail and then delete the others. Setup should be a matter of minutes not hours. This will naturally have some consequences for you so plan accordingly.

No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Theyre all written down on a note pad. I know, I know..........I just dont have the time to figure it all out. Im sure its not too hard but as a matter of fact, i just spent the last 2 hours setting up a Gmail account when I had already had an Igoogle account for the sole purpose of a google voice #. But, now I have the 2 google accounts, 1 email and one for the google voice ***** and I cant figure out how to link the 2 accounts. When I set up the Igoogle for the google voice, I used my aol address bcuz thats what i already had and am familiar with. So, I wanted to take everyones advise, set up a google email/contact source and now Im more frustrated than ever because I just want ONE account and I have two. Dont have time for this.
  12.    #13  
    There is no linking. Google does not require (or asume you would use) separate accounts for each Google service (Gvoice, iGoogle, Gmail....). One account logs you into all of them. Just pick an account (perhaps the one you created for Gmail and then delete the others. Setup should be a matter of minutes not hours. This will naturally have some consequences for you so plan accordingly.

No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.
    I woudl like to delete the account I used to create the Igoogle but my fear in doing so was that I would lose all my Google voice info. Youre telling me that that is not the case? Google will somehow know that the two accounts are the same person? Currently I have to sign into 2 separate accounts to get Gmail with one and Voice with the other. I dont see how it would automatically know that the two accounts are the same user. They were set up with 2 different email addresses becuz when I set up the Igoogle for my Gvoice, I didnt have the gmail address. Does this make sense what Im trying to say? I just dont see how without 'linking' them, it would automatically know they are the same user. Why wouldnt it then think my sisters account is mine?
  13. k8e
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I had the pleasure of losing all of my contact information in the 1.3.1 upgrade, so I've decided to go the route of using Google to store my contacts' information and birthdays.

Here's my small issue: the birthdays and nicknames don't transfer to my Pre from my Google account. Phone number and addresses do, so at least I have the important info I need. Any ideas of why the rest doesn't transfer?

btw...thanks for letting me know how to get the birthdays on my Google calendar!
    whenever I put a bday into a contact on my phone it doesn't sync to the google accnt & vice versa. So the birthday calendar in google calendars didn't work for me. Any ideas? Facebook import did, but maybe 1 4th of my contacts actually use facebook