Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Just to be sure I understand this, you're really saying that "anyone knocking facebook and ignoring this reality must really want their platform to fail."

Anyone? Really??

Bill Gates Dumps Facebook: “Too Many Friends”

How's that little "revolution" of yours working?
    ok so - what are you guys trying to accomplish? are one of you trying to get the other to say "yes the app is going to destroy palm" and the other one of you wants to get the other to say "no the app isnt important." ???? i just dont know what going back and forth like this is going to accomplish. these forums are great if im learning bout this thing or discussing something, but arguing back and forth like a bunch of teens......not so much.
  2.    #162  
    Just to be sure I understand this, you're really saying that "anyone knocking facebook and ignoring this reality must really want their platform to fail."

Anyone? Really??

Bill Gates Dumps Facebook: “Too Many Friends”

How's that little "revolution" of yours working?
    MEH, have u seen windows mobile lately? What's their mind share/market-share? And Gates isn't running windows mobile, and yes they have now finally added an official facebook app to their market place. Wow.Your argument fails again.

And really, i didn't know ****** was a banned word on this board. Wow. Parental much Precentral??
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I think the real issue, what's got people upset it this....

The last few weeks has been an ongoing struggle between people complaining on one side that Palm's updates were slow, that there were obvious design holes that needed patching, and how the OS was getting passed over by Android.

This was matched by people advising the complainers to calm down, that Palm's webOS team was young, but that when updates came they would be worth the wait.

Both these groups, in my opinion, were the minority of the forum. The majority would complain a bit, lament a missing feature, but not threaten to leave the forum/device and were willing to wait for updates. Mostly, this group was just waiting for news of the next update.

When news finally came it included very little information about features that many were looking for, primarily the calendar and speed. (I frankly want wireless file transfer more than anything and don't understand the clamoring for video recording, but that's preference).

My point, though, is that when information finally came down the pipeline, the biggest visible addition to the update is a dedicated facebook application and how it was generally lackluster and feature-poor. Is a facebook app the biggest deal in the world? Of course not. I don't think that even the people who are most upset in this thread think it's some sort of killer app. I think the point is that we're seeing this as a sign up things to come. If this is the kind of product we can expect from Palm in the future for the other features that are missing or need updating, than a lot of people are going to be more disappointed than they are now. And I think that's what people are expressing. If Palm can't put out a decent facebook app on par with what's available on other devices, what is a calendar update going to look like? It means that I, for one, thought that the webOS team...even if they weren't as fast as I would have liked....had an understanding of what kind of integration and ease of use I was looking for in a smartphone. The facebook app seems to be a warning this might not be the case.
    Well said, sir.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    And there you go. You just hit the nail on the head. Like I've been saying, this whole argument about 'Facebook' isnt about Facebook at all. Not at its core.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    I think the real issue, what's got people upset it this....

The last few weeks has been an ongoing struggle between people complaining on one side that Palm's updates were slow, that there were obvious design holes that needed patching, and how the OS was getting passed over by Android.

This was matched by people advising the complainers to calm down, that Palm's webOS team was young, but that when updates came they would be worth the wait.

Both these groups, in my opinion, were the minority of the forum. The majority would complain a bit, lament a missing feature, but not threaten to leave the forum/device and were willing to wait for updates. Mostly, this group was just waiting for news of the next update.

When news finally came it included very little information about features that many were looking for, primarily the calendar and speed. (I frankly want wireless file transfer more than anything and don't understand the clamoring for video recording, but that's preference).

My point, though, is that when information finally came down the pipeline, the biggest visible addition to the update is a dedicated facebook application and how it was generally lackluster and feature-poor. Is a facebook app the biggest deal in the world? Of course not. I don't think that even the people who are most upset in this thread think it's some sort of killer app. I think the point is that we're seeing this as a sign up things to come. If this is the kind of product we can expect from Palm in the future for the other features that are missing or need updating, than a lot of people are going to be more disappointed than they are now. And I think that's what people are expressing. If Palm can't put out a decent facebook app on par with what's available on other devices, what is a calendar update going to look like? It means that I, for one, thought that the webOS team...even if they weren't as fast as I would have liked....had an understanding of what kind of integration and ease of use I was looking for in a smartphone. The facebook app seems to be a warning this might not be the case.
    This makes tons of sense.....after thinking about it, I'd have to agree.
    This is my first palm device. now, i had been warned by a few ppl how palm was slowly dying and that getting their phone was dumb because i could much rather get a phone of a thriving company. However, I gave palm the benefit of the doubt. WebOS - great foundation if the bugs are worked out. I am giving them another year and a half til my contract was up. If i dont see any major improvements to webos (everything so far has been meh - aside from a little speed boost) then I might not stick around. but thats a year and a half away. Palm HOPEFULLY will "wow" us by then. - Actually i hope to have a noticeable difference by webos 1.5. Halfway thru a revision there should be at least SOMETHING to show for it. Kinda like android 1.5. If theres nothing big by then, I'm probably going to have some bad thoughts bout it
    Last edited by cnote1287; 11/13/2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Sorry to say this but I think that any phone that has a bad "official" Facebook app deserves the higher than average return rate. Facebook at this point is HUGE selling point for smartphone buyers. You can deny this all of you want but the reality is that the majority of smartphone users out there have installed some type of Facebook app (officiall or 3rd party) onto their phones.

Sure, yea...it's JUST Facebook. Now call Palm and tell them that the Palm Pre and Pixi is JUST a phone.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    this whole argument about 'Facebook' isnt about Facebook at all. Not at its core.
    It is for at least one person lol.
    The pre is great don't think i will give it up until the next BIG Webos device but i do agree that its not just about a Facebook app.
    Its about holding palm to a higher standard, saying we wont accept sub par apps anymore
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I think now we are entitled to whine, *****, complain and any other fitting adjective you can think of.

http://www.precentral.net/review-facebook-app-webos

** Palm and ** Facebook.

Edit: Full page users and naysers need not post.

Life....meet Vick. Vick.....meet Life.

Not a naysayer....just a realist.

bj
    Just going by what we have in webOS so far, looking at the app it seems to me that the missing features really belong is other parts of webOS and not in a dedicated app.

Facebook chat should be in the Messaging app. Inbox in email. Profiles in synergy contact. Invites...not sure. Maybe that's what Palm has in mind but it's not ready.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Shouldn't facebook make a mobile facebook app? Why would you say "OMG, some one needs to make a CNN app, their mobile page sucks!"
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The comparison was made to the Titanic sinking, as if this particular app was causing the disaster. I stated the comparison isn't valid, unless the person was making that assertion.
    The reference was directed at you, as in, you're "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" trying to figure out if Palm made the app or not. In other words, that is somewhat unimportant compared to the real issue of the app being lousy yet being promoted by Palm.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    The pre is great don't think i will give it up until the next BIG Webos device but i do agree that its not just about a Facebook app.
    Its about holding palm to a higher standard, saying we wont accept sub par apps anymore
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    The reference was directed at you, as in, you're "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" trying to figure out if Palm made the app or not. In other words, that is somewhat unimportant compared to the real issue of the app being lousy yet being promoted by Palm.
    Even the interpretation of the Titanic metaphor as Palm going down is intentional by hparsons. Anything to derail the argument and send the opponent chasing their own tail.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    in a few days my xbox going to have a better facebook app then my pre
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Sorry to say this but I think that any phone that has a bad "official" Facebook app deserves the higher than average return rate. Facebook at this point is HUGE selling point for smartphone buyers. You can deny this all of you want but the reality is that the majority of smartphone users out there have installed some type of Facebook app (officiall or 3rd party) onto their phones.

Sure, yea...it's JUST Facebook. Now call Palm and tell them that the Palm Pre and Pixi is JUST a phone.
    well said sir/madam, well said
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    in a few days my xbox going to have a better facebook app then my pre
    haha, mine too! Its pathetic when my gaming system trumps this supposed "facebook phone". Have you watched the preview videos? Now that's integration...
  19. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    haha, mine too! Its pathetic when my gaming system trumps this supposed "facebook phone". Have you watched the preview videos? Now that's integration...
    Whelp, VickyMack, looks like this whole facebook thing has you so upset that maybe you should just buy an iPhone to get that coveted app you so seek.
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Whelp, VickyMack, looks like this whole facebook thing has you so upset that maybe you should just buy an iPhone to get that coveted app you so seek.
    making assumptions much?

I own an ipod touch and have access to facebook for iphone. Were you supposed to be making some sort of point? Please advise.