Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    This is getting silly but once Hparsons steps in it always does. First, if the Facebook app is not important to you, why are you posting on this thread? (and please don't twist this to ask me why am posting here). Second, no one said Palm will fail because of this one app. Where did you see that?
    I know, right?

Dude is just funny.

Look, hparsons...I know you wanna pass this off as no big deal, and the good news is...to many people, it ISN'T. That's great. But that doesn't change whether it reflects badly on Palm or not.

I never had a problem with an app limit (as I never installed enough apps to get there. After Pandora, Where, and a handful of others, who cares?) on my Pre. Whatever that arbitrary level was, it was never a big deal to me. But I didn't jump into threads of people angry and frustrated about it and go "Look, like many other people, I don't care about this. You guys just wanna see Palm fail blah blah woof woof". Something can objectively be a problem even if it isn't a problem for me or you.

This is a problem. It reflects badly on the company if their dedicated solution is inferior in features and usability to pretty much every other "non-dedicated" solution that's been available to Pre users for months. It's indicative of wasted effort, poor decision-making, and terrible timing.

So are many other things about the Pre that never bothered me personally one bit.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sounds like you're unclear on how these are made.

Facebook has third party APIs available for stuff like the newsfeed, profiles, inbox, etc.

Any developer can make a wrapper for X.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com or what have you, and then call it an app. But then your app is subject to Facebook's mucking around behind the scenes, and you won't get truly accurate feeds. You have to access those APIs to do that.

While there may be one or two apps on a platform that can access these, only ONE can be called Facebook and use their intellectual property throughout the app to truly reflect the look and feel of their site. That app is the official app, and while Facebook's name is on each one, the only app they actually developed was iPhone's.

Every other platform had to primarily use their own development resources and access to those APIs. Thus, this is Palm's Facebook app.
    Quote Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I feel like there is a deeper integration between facebook and WebOS coming down the pipe. Sure, this is just a news feed app now. However, the talk of "underpinnings" makes me feel like there will is more coming. Perhaps universal search integration for wall posts and messages that utilize the app?
    These two posts contain powerful information for the future of WebOS. You should all read them again.

Whether this is 'Palm's Facebook App' or Palm's Facebook App is an argument not worth entertaining. As I've hinted in my unduly behemoth previous post, 1. the groundwork and procedure for how an official Facebook app appears on a phone is a known factor and 2. this is the same Facebook App that Palm has touted since before the pre's commercial inception: it is de facto Facebook application of the device.

What has yet to be seen (and this is where it gets interesting) is whether this is the de facto Facebook integration with WebOS. Is this a sin of omission or does this sparse app actually display future WebOS design?

Downtown has touched on something that I have talked about in several threads.

We often get thread topics wherein you list your hopes for the WebOS as a platform. Most people seem to settle for updated calendar integration, or forwarding texts, or improved battery life--the low-hanging fruit of immediate need, which is fine. These are all valid 'consumer issues' and are triaged according by Palm. Many of these 'consumer issues' are, by the their very natures, due for either continued improvement or continued neglect. The calendar sucks now, but of course it will get better one day--it will because it must if Palm is to make serious inroads back into the business market. Text forwarding is going to come because it is a no brainer and all too obviously implemented. Battery life? Well, some things just wont change significantly and are best left ignored.

No one talks about Synergy though.

Sure, people talk about getting Yahoo integration, and I am happy for them (although I have never used the service), but Synergy is poised as something more than that. I've spoken a lot about Design Philosophy and Downtown3641 definitely gets it.

If I wanted all of my Facebook contacts on the iPhone, for instance, there is an app for that. I'm sure there is one for Yahoo as well. And if I wanted google calendar updates on the iPhone, I'm sure there is an app for that too.

But that was never all that Synergy was supposed to be about--the phone is supposed to think for you. If this Facebook App is Palm's way of saying 'we are going to change the very nature of how you use facebook and twitter and all of these networking sites' then I say YES! This is what I want from Synergy.

As it stands now, typing a search on the home screen brings up Wikipedia, Google, Google Maps, and Twitter. Even ignoring the slow speed at which this list appears, it's almost useless in practice. While I will take any extra method to get to google-search that I can, what are we to make of google maps? Is anyone likely to start a search in the home screen for an address, rather than open the google maps program, which gives them immediate access to their current location--basically more information, more quickly, and more visually? What about twitter search? How likely are you to need to search something on twitter specifically that does not relate to a person or topic you don't already follow--if you need to search it, chances are you will be doing so within a twitter client already.

There has got to be further use for this list, and I can see a day when Facebook is added to it. It's a no-brainer. But how will it tie into WebOS?

I am hoping that Palm has an innovation or two up their sleeve so that the consumer to access all of their information in a unified manner. Like those early Palm commercials with the creepy lady, I want a phone that thinks for me. I want a truly innovate phone--like a few other posters said earlier, if I wanted an iPhone then I would have just purchased one.

I want a phone that changes the game, much the way the iPhone changed the entire cell phone paradigm upon it's entry into the market. If this limited facebook app is a sign of things to come in terms of deeper WebOS integration in the future, then I'm all for it. If the app is merely a sign of a rush-job in order to help grab post-centro market share then I am severely disappointed.

It's too bad we just don't know.
    Last edited by Stihl; 11/13/2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post

I am hoping that Palm has an innovation or two up their sleeve so that the consumer to access all of their information in a unified manner. Like those early Palm commercials with the creepy lady, I want a phone that thinks for me. I want a truly innovate phone--like a few other posters said earlier, if I wanted an iPhone then I would have just purchased one.

I want a phone that changes the game, much the way the iPhone changed the entire cell phone paradigm upon it's entry into the market. If this limited facebook app is a sign of things to come in terms of deeper WebOS integration in the future, then I'm all for it. If the app is merely a sign of a rush-job in order to help grab post-centro market share then I am severely disappointed.

It's too bad we just don't know.
    When you say if you wanted an iphone you just would have bought an iphone, thats true. but so many ppl are set that the pre is supposed to be an iphone killer (ie. same as the iphone but better)

but yes i agree that i hope palm will do something with synergy. idk what they could do tho. it does what they advertised it as "it pulls contacts from multiple places and puts it in one list" - you can search the list all at once.
    Last edited by cnote1287; 11/13/2009 at 01:48 PM.
    First, if the Facebook app is not important to you, why are you posting on this thread? (and please don't twist this to ask me why am posting here).
    I found a thread encouraging us to "revolt" over an app that none of has seen to be interestin. I typically post where I find something of interest.

Second, no one said Palm will fail because of this one app. Where did you see that?
    The comparison was made to the Titanic sinking, as if this particular app was causing the disaster. I stated the comparison isn't valid, unless the person was making that assertion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I never had a problem with an app limit (as I never installed enough apps to get there. After Pandora, Where, and a handful of others, who cares?) on my Pre. Whatever that arbitrary level was, it was never a big deal to me. But I didn't jump into threads of people angry and frustrated about it and go "Look, like many other people, I don't care about this. You guys just wanna see Palm fail blah blah woof woof". Something can objectively be a problem even if it isn't a problem for me or you.
    Except, this thread started off with encouraging others to riot over this. Thus the replies (not only be me, I just tend to be a bit more persistent).

However, regardless of whether or not the Facebook app is relevant, I disagree completely with the notion that this app somehow reflects a failing company.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Here's the Facebbook app analysis that 90% of Pre or Pixi buyers will do:

1) "Cool phone. Does it do Facebook?"
    2) [download OTA if necessary]
    3) [try the app using their Facebook account]
    4) "OMG that sucks. Do you have another one that does it better?"
    90% ???!!! Are you sure?

C'mon now, there's got to be some phone salesfolk on here. Do 90% of your customers REALLY ask about Facebook as their first question.

This is the type of silliness that this thread represents. Everyone thinks their issue is the issue.

It's not. Trust me, the 90% listed above is a bit of an exaggeration.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    90% ???!!! Are you sure?

C'mon now, there's got to be some phone salesfolk on here. Do 90% of your customers REALLY ask about Facebook as their first question.

This is the type of silliness that this thread represents. Everyone thinks their issue is the issue.

It's not. Trust me, the 90% listed above is a bit of an exaggeration.
    i agree. however many ppl DO care about facebook these days. for example my friend was looking into buying a smart phone and had seen the iphones facebook app...so she asked me what kinda app my phone had for facebook....to which i was like "ummm its coming out soon..." true its not as big as ppl make it...but i believe there are some who will go to iphone or android because of the app. (ppl are SO addicted to facebook these days.)
    who cares about a dedicated app? just use x.facebook.com. i'd much rather see more core development and fixes to the webOS in updates.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    i agree. however many ppl DO care about facebook these days. for example my friend was looking into buying a smart phone and had seen the iphones facebook app...so she asked me what kinda app my phone had for facebook....to which i was like "ummm its coming out soon..." true its not as big as ppl make it...but i believe there are some who will go to iphone or android because of the app. (ppl are SO addicted to facebook these days.)
    And I contend that while not nearly as feature rich as the iPhone app, the "twitter-esque" Facebook client due this weekend for us webOS users will satisfy many. Really. Would I like to see an application on par with what's available for the iPhone? Sure I would. Does the lack of such an application in the App Catalog indicate a company that's going down the tubes, or one that "doesn't get" their customer base? Absolutely -- if you're bad at logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    And I contend that while not nearly as feature rich as the iPhone app, the "twitter-esque" Facebook client due this weekend for us webOS users will satisfy many. Really. Would I like to see an application on par with what's available for the iPhone? Sure I would. Does the lack of such an application in the App Catalog indicate a company that's going down the tubes, or one that "doesn't get" their customer base? Absolutely -- if you're bad at logic.
    if anything it just shows that its new compared to the iphones OS as it doesnt have as many developers making big named apps - however i still would like to have seen something that at LEAST lets you see other ppls profiles.....i mean comeon thats kinda basic
    I don’t understand why so many people who say they could care less about the Facebook app, and that they have “greater needs” are even reading OR replying in this forum! Why aren’t you in another thread complaining about these more important complaints you have?

I for one am disappointed in this pathetic excuse for an application. Palm used Facebook as one of their main marketing tools. And to be honest, I expected that my Pre would have a SWEET Facebook app on it the day I purchased it. But obviously that wasn’t the case.

So many, including myself, have waited patiently for it. And this is what they finally give us? Pretty sad…
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TDWilson75 View Post
    Why aren’t you in another thread complaining about these more important complaints you have?
    Because there are already a quadrillion threads on the subjects?

So many, including myself, have waited patiently for it. And this is what they finally give us? Pretty sad…
    Just curious but, did you by the Pre only for a facebook application or did you purchase the Pre for other reasons?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    honestly, does it matter?
    yea, a bit, I am thinking about iphone comparisons here, since its one of the market competitors.

I am just wondering if we are barking up the wrong tree.

IE if facebook makes the best facebook app for the iphone, we could try and stir up some development from facebook, that might give us more pleasing results.
    I am also less inclined to be upset with palm because I see it more as the responsibility of facebook to develop it. it changes my perspective a bit.

granted that means webos has to be wide spread enough to make it worth their (facebooks) time and effort, I don't know what that number actually is. I would also imagine it isn't based solely on number of WebOS phones, and includes mobile site traffic, as that is where there AD revenue would come from.

but lets say the best facebook app out there, the gold standard, is made by apple, then well, palm really should focus alot of effort into bringing there app up to par.

on the other hand, if facebook makes the iphone app, IE the gold standard, then perhaps we should be more forgiving of palm when they give us an interim solution until facebook develops there own app for webOS
    There are four lights.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don’t understand why so many people who say they could care less about the Facebook app, and that they have “greater needs” are even reading OR replying in this forum! Why aren’t you in another thread complaining about these more important complaints you have?

I for one am disappointed in this pathetic excuse for an application. Palm used Facebook as one of their main marketing tools. And to be honest, I expected that my Pre would have a SWEET Facebook app on it the day I purchased it. But obviously that wasn’t the case.

Maybe instead of the twitterpeek you should buy a facebookpeek?
  15.    #155  
    Ahhh I see. You offer nothing to substantiate a claim that this is somehow Palm's fault, you fail miserably in your effort to rally the troops to "riot" over your disappointment in a Facebook app, so you then offer up a pathetic personal attack.

Kinda sad...
    It isn't Palm's fault? Whos fault is it then? I failed at nothing, I make threads that interest me, or sometimes just to get ******* like you in a tizzy and i've succeeded. Your arguments are what fails. My personal attacks were highly successful.
  16.    #156  
    Here's the Facebbook app analysis that 90% of Pre or Pixi buyers will do:

1) "Cool phone. Does it do Facebook?"
    2) [download OTA if necessary]
    3) [try the app using their Facebook account]
    4) "OMG that sucks. Do you have another one that does it better?"
    Simple, but true. Anyone knocking facebook and ignoring this reality must really want their platform to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    It isn't Palm's fault? Whos fault is it then? I failed at nothing, I make threads that interest me, or sometimes just to get ******* like you in a tizzy and i've succeeded. Your arguments are what fails. My personal attacks were highly successful.
    Really? I'm in a tizzy? Hmmm, guess I forgot to start a thread encouraging folks to run out and defen Palm against the "revolt" you started.

How's that working for you there? Is the revolution almost complete, or barely begun?
    I meant 90% of the people who do a Facebook app analysis.

The iPhone Facebook App is and has been the #1 app in the Social Networking category, perhaps, since its inception.
    thanks for clarifying, cause i had a whole thing written up about how your original statement was wrong.

for people who are interested enough in Facebook to make analyzing the Facebook app one of the first steps in determining if the phone is for them, I would agree. such people are probably far more likely to be demanding of such an application (like this threads OP) than the majority of phone buyers are.

I am NOT saying that those are irrelevent people, just inccase someone interpreted this as a slight to those who use facebook with voracity.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    How's that working for you there?
    I'm guessing that it's not going to well as long as he thinks that "revolt" is an adjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Simple, but true. Anyone knocking facebook and ignoring this reality must really want their platform to fail.
    Just to be sure I understand this, you're really saying that "anyone knocking facebook and ignoring this reality must really want their platform to fail."

Anyone? Really??

Bill Gates Dumps Facebook: “Too Many Friends”

How's that little "revolution" of yours working?