Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Hparsons...dude, Palm doesn't physically manufacture the Pre, either, yet they are held accountable for its integrity and quality.

Whether they farmed out the Facebook app to an outside developer or if Jon Rubinstein personally coded it every night between launch and now, it doesn't matter. They took five months to release a "dedicated" app that was no better than the mobile sites and mobile apps available beforehand.

Whatever their motivation was, whatever amount of time they personally put into it...it's irrelevant. I know you wanna hang onto to this tangent, but...there's nothing there. It's an inadequate, inexcusable misstep.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    don't you get it??? It doesn't matter who wrote the app. It is and will always be known as the official Palm pre Facebook app.
    Well, I think I'm beginning to. It will be "official" because a few Palm-haters on here have declared it so. Personally, I'd rather hear from Palm...
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Anyone who thinks this is unimportant does not grasp the fact that Facebook is as important in the mobile space as a good email client. Saying it can be accessed on the web is like saying that email can be accessed on the web and there is no need for a good client. Absurd!

Additionally, social networking is supposed to be the Pre's core competency. For many, Facebook IS social networking. If the Pre cannot offer best in class Facebook/social networking, then it has a HUGE public perception problem. iTunes gives a device instant credibility with consumers. A good Facebook client may be even more important. If Palm has an unreliable hack for one, and a poor effort for the other, they will not have another two years to get it right. Regardless of what you think about Facebook, this is a platform shaping issue.
    Well said!

How well a phone does in the market nowadays really have a lot to do with Facebook. Every time I see my friends get a new phone, the first app they would get is Facebook. If the phone has a bad Facebook app, mostly the users are not gonna like the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hparsons...dude, Palm doesn't physically manufacture the Pre, either, yet they are held accountable for its integrity and quality.
    Dude, they put their name on it though. Show me that on the App. I don't think you can...

They took five months to release a "dedicated" app that was no better than the mobile sites and mobile apps available beforehand.
    "They" who? It's a simple question, and for all your ranting and raving, you haven't answered it. I don't know the answer, it may even actually have been coded by Ruby himself. The difference between us is I'm asking because I don't know, and your insisting that you do, solely because the answer your giving fits the scenario you want.

You mentioned "facts" before, produce 'em...

Whatever their motivation was, whatever amount of time they personally put into it...it's irrelevant. I know you wanna hang onto to this tangent, but...there's nothing there. It's an inadequate, inexcusable misstep.
    Well, there you have it, you say so, it must be so (but, I suspect they'll somehow survive...)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiWo View Post
    Well said!

How well a phone does in the market nowadays really have a lot to do with Facebook. Every time I see my friends get a new phone, the first app they would get is Facebook. If the phone has a bad Facebook app, mostly the users are not gonna like the phone.
    Sigh... I know I'm going to be lambasted for this (imagine the nerve of actually asking questions...) but have you considered the possibility that it has more to do with who your friends are than with the general market? I have four daughters (including one who swears by her iPhone). One does all if her Facebook posting from her BB, another does about half and half from her iPhone, and the other 2 do zero from phones (and both have smartphones), posting from computers instead.

I do about 50/50 from my Pre (in spite of there not being any "official" Facebook app from Palm earlier, and only a crappy one now - if the riotous rants are to be believed). I don't use FB for chats much, there are too many better mediums for chatting, but I would sincerely like to see photo captioning improved for the Pre.

Wonder if it would help if I started demanding it NOW...
    Here's a little bit of insight and hope for you guys (I could care less as I now converted to Android -- but I still have the Pre around to watch it mature).

Joe Hewitt (@joehewitt on twitter) is an engineer at Facebook and is the lone individual responsible for developing the Facebook iPhone app. In the past day he's posted his disgust for Apple and the way they handle iPhone app submissions (walled garden).

He said he's getting back to his roots and wants to help improve the web (HTML/CSS/JavaScript). Now, here's the cool part: Twitter / Joe Hewitt: @jarinudom I have a Pre. ...

Yes. He owns a Pre .. does this mean we could see a Facebook app developed by him/Facebook (ala an "official" Facebook app).

Only time will tell!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Here's a little bit of insight and hope for you guys (I could care less as I now converted to Android -- but I still have the Pre around to watch it mature).
    Unfortunately, that rumor has already been floated by someone else, and the "experts" vetted it and informed us t'aint so.

(Seriously, sounds interesting, but you'll have a hard time being heard around here right now - some days are better than others though...)
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Joe Hewitt (@joehewitt on twitter) is an engineer at Facebook and is the lone individual responsible for developing the Facebook iPhone app. In the past day he's posted his disgust for Apple and the way they handle iPhone app submissions (walled garden).

He said he's getting back to his roots and wants to help improve the web (HTML/CSS/JavaScript). Now, here's the cool part: Twitter / Joe Hewitt: @jarinudom I have a Pre. ...

Yes. He owns a Pre .. does this mean we could see a Facebook app developed by him/Facebook (ala an "official" Facebook app).

Only time will tell!
    Actually, if you read his Q&A posted over on PIC, he says that webOS is his favorite platform overall but won't bother developing for it until he seems performance increases.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    And for the folks lambasting the forthcoming Facebook app, at least try it out before you crap your pants?

I'd be willing to bet that more than half the people posting updates and checking their news feed from their Cliqs and Heros are doing so from the widget, and not the full blown app.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dude, they put their name on it though. Show me that on the App. I don't think you can...
    This is your debate technique, it seems: When all goes south, find a meaningless tangent and keep pounding. So be it.

Whatever name is attached to this app when it hits the catalog is irrelevant. It's been explained to you by several people, but I will give it another go.

Palm has "officially" referred to this, and ONLY this, as the FB "dedicated" app. They didn't forget that FF and PalmBook existed. They didn't put the names of several FB apps in a hat and say "Whichever one we choose, we'll make OS-level integration for in the upcoming update and demo it with our next big thing, the Pixi." They didn't allow ONLY this app to be formally and officially called 'Facebook' on WebOS because it's NOT their app and they don't stand behind it.

It IS their app. Period.

"They" who? It's a simple question, and for all your ranting and raving, you haven't answered it. I don't know the answer, it may even actually have been coded by Ruby himself. The difference between us is I'm asking because I don't know, and your insisting that you do, solely because the answer your giving fits the scenario you want.
    I'm only insisting that it is their app that they have deemed official and attached their name to. That we BOTH know, though you wanna deny it with all of your might. Whatever app is formally called 'Facebook' on a mobile OS IS the "official" one. Facebook wouldn't allow the trademark to be used otherwise. Neither would Apple, Google, RIM, Microsoft or Palm.

Who coded it means nothing.

And if THIS is what Palm puts their name behind after five months, it is a joke.
    And of course if it was not developed from Palm directly then they may not have a whole lotta choice of how it turned out... but... you would think that its going on your phone that you do have some say in what you would like and how it would turn out otherwise you find a developer that will do it the way you want and put your name on that.

They have had a long time to come out with the best fb app. iphones and other platforms have already been out so not hard to one up anothers app when you know exactly what they have... guess people not happy that after this much time available that at worst you can copy them feature for feature and still they came up short. there are other phones like moto cliq or other lame phones with facebook integration and probably didnt take them this long to develop on their phones.

yes you have the web based ones still to compensate for those that know... but it is a little weak though because the new buyer will look at the phone and see the app and want/expect it to be full featured and not have to go with alternatives.

of course this is a 1.0 app so they can add the features missing soon afterwards.

And if THIS is what Palm puts their name behind after five months, it is a joke.
    It IS their app. Period.
    And none of your explanations have really said that. Until I see their their name one it, or a claim by them that this is their Facebook app, then it's just another app in their catalog, much like Pandora.
    Whatever app is formally called 'Facebook' on a mobile OS IS the "official" one. Facebook wouldn't allow the trademark to be used otherwise. Neither would Apple, Google, RIM, Microsoft or Palm.

Who coded it means nothing.

Then wouldn't that make it Facebook's app, not Palm's? Just like I said earlier that Pandora's app isn't to Palm's credit, it's to Pandora's. Sounds like Facebook put their name behind it, not Palm; and you'd like to blame Palm for it...

As far as your nonsense about "debate technique" and "all going south"... HUH???? I'd stated earlier that I don't really care about a Facebook app, to me it reflects very little on Palm one way or the other. I'd much rather see Sling Player or Docs to Go on it.

That said, I've seen some pretty silly things in this thread - Talk about Palm's Facebook ad (it was Sprint's ad, not Palm's, blame creepy girl on Palm), the notion that everyone should "riot" over this, then the same person saying "Your argument is that what is important to you MUST be important to me?" and now you insisting in post after post that the application that Facebook has (by your own assertion) put their name on is Palm's responsibility.

Does my "Official" Facebook app for Windows reflect poorly on Microsoft???? Oh wait a minute.... There is no official Facebook app for Windows... It's called Internet Explorer... Isn't that strange...
    Last edited by hparsons; 11/13/2009 at 08:33 AM.
    is the iphone app made by facebook or apple
    To be honest I use facebook everyday. Its still not that IMPORTANT to get a update everytime someone changes there status. I check it a few times a day only to be honest. The mobile web version of that page does its justice for me!
    And none of your explanations have really said that. Until I see their their name one it, or a claim by them that this is their Facebook app, then it's just another app in their catalog, much like Pandora.

Then wouldn't that make it Facebook's app, not Palm's? Just like I said earlier that Pandora's app isn't to Palm's credit, it's to Pandora's. Sounds like Facebook put their name behind it, not Palm; and you'd like to blame Palm for it...

As far as your nonsense about "debate technique" and "all going south"... HUH???? I'd stated earlier that I don't really care about a Facebook app, to me it reflects very little on Palm one way or the other. I'd much rather see Sling Player or Docs to Go on it.

That said, I've seen some pretty silly things in this thread - Talk about Palm's Facebook ad (it was Sprint's ad, not Palm's, blame creepy girl on Palm), the notion that everyone should "riot" over this, then the same person saying "Your argument is that what is important to you MUST be important to me?" and now you insisting in post of post that the application that Facebook has (by your own assertion) put their name on is Palm's responsibility.

Does my "Official" Facebook app for Windows reflect poorly on Microsoft???? Oh wait a minute.... There is no official Facebook app for Windows... It's called Internet Explorer... Isn't that strange...
    I'm wondering if you're just having fun or truly don't get this.

Facebook fans who own a Pre, download the Facebook app, see how limited it is, and feel ...what? Disappointed? Let down? And who at? Facebook? No way. They love Facebook. They know that other platform facebook apps offer more. Nope, they focus their disappointment on Palm, at their device.

Is it the end of world? Heck, I don't give a rat's you know what about facebook. But a great many do. Especially the Pixi's target market.

Palm should care more about certain apps. This is one of them. It's one that is actually worth Palm spending some resources on to ensure a quality app.

I wonder about Palm. They don't seem concerned that their Pixi camera blows. They don't seem concerned about users having a good experience. Having paid apps in an app store marked "beta." No wifi on a Pixi that chews up data and is useless if not in a good sprint area. An itunes sync that breaks every month. Hardware that requires multiple exchanges. And the list goes on.

My biggest concern about Palm isn't the competition, but Palm itself. All these things add up.
  16.    #116  

That said, I've seen some pretty silly things in this thread - Talk about Palm's Facebook ad (it was Sprint's ad, not Palm's, blame creepy girl on Palm), the notion that everyone should "riot" over this, then the same person saying "Your argument is that what is important to you MUST be important to me?" and now you insisting in post after post that the application that Facebook has (by your own assertion) put their name on is Palm's responsibility.

I see it now...truly you are Saint Palm...
    it doesn't matter how valid or invalid your points are, your unwavering support for palm nullifies them. And I'll say it again. It is the official app. I know that hurts you but it will be ok dude. Why can't you ever admit that palm could **** up? Not every bad decision by them is some zen like plot that us mere mortals are too stupid to understand.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts

Is it that hard for you to acknowledge/admit that the app sucks? Or will you only do that if you're sure Palm didn't develop it?

FWIW, here's part of the Engadget Pixi review:

Palm has also added a Facebook app for the phone, though in terms of functionality, this one ranks fairly low. It's essentially your feed of friend's status updates -- a kind of alternate Twitter really -- where you can also post your status along with links or photos. In our experience it worked well, but we would have loved some deeper interaction beyond updates, like full profile views, for instance. We imagine that Palm will build on what they have here, but if you're walking into this expecting the full experience you get on Android or the iPhone, you'll be disappointed.
    Palm Pixi review

From Palm's press release:

Complementing the phone's already rich Facebook integration with the contacts, phone, calendar and photo applications, a new Facebook application will be available with Palm Pixi so you can see and comment on all the latest news from your friends, as well as easily update your status.
    Palm, Inc. - Thin Palm Pixi Phone Puts Fast, Intuitive Communication at Fingertips

I know that's not certified in court or notarized like you seem to want, but the bottom line is that everybody but you seems to acknowledge that this is "the" webOS Facebook app. It's associated with Palm. That's the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm wondering if you're just having fun or truly don't get this.

Facebook fans who own a Pre, download the Facebook app, see how limited it is, and feel ...what? Disappointed? Let down? And who at? Facebook? No way. They love Facebook. They know that other platform facebook apps offer more. Nope, they focus their disappointment on Palm, at their device.

Is it the end of world? Heck, I don't give a rat's you know what about facebook. But a great many do. Especially the Pixi's target market.

Palm should care more about certain apps. This is one of them. It's one that is actually worth Palm spending some resources on to ensure a quality app.
    But did. they. put. their. name. on. it? HUH? That's what's important. Until we see Palm's name next to this app in the developer, who cares about any of this, right?
    Last edited by mikah912; 11/13/2009 at 09:23 AM.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I feel like there is a deeper integration between facebook and WebOS coming down the pipe. Sure, this is just a news feed app now. However, the talk of "underpinnings" makes me feel like there will is more coming. Perhaps universal search integration for wall posts and messages that utilize the app?

Sounds like you're unclear on how these are made.

Facebook has third party APIs available for stuff like the newsfeed, profiles, inbox, etc.

Any developer can make a wrapper for X.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com or what have you, and then call it an app. But then your app is subject to Facebook's mucking around behind the scenes, and you won't get truly accurate feeds. You have to access those APIs to do that.

While there may be one or two apps on a platform that can access these, only ONE can be called Facebook and use their intellectual property throughout the app to truly reflect the look and feel of their site. That app is the official app, and while Facebook's name is on each one, the only app they actually developed was iPhone's.

Every other platform had to primarily use their own development resources and access to those APIs. Thus, this is Palm's Facebook app.

...and now you insisting in post after post that the application that Facebook has (by your own assertion) put their name on is Palm's responsibility.
    Read above. Hopefully, it's illuminating.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast