Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 258
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The reason I think the comment is absurd is because do we really honestly think that it takes a lot of cpu horsepower to run a facebook app? The CPU is the same as the iphone 3gs from a cpu perspective, i mean really? If people can make an emulator that runs a previous phone's os faster than the phone itself don't you think he can 'make do' with a 500mhz cpu and 8gigs of ram? I think his comment is silly.
    You're looking at it from too focused a perspective. His comments aren't about on how his Facebook app would run on WebOS, but rather how great an experience the OS itself is along with the reliability of the hardware that powers it.

    In other words, if I'm going to put in the effort, it better be on a top notch platform that's got their stuff together.
  2. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #82  
    ..Can we all just Post along?.....
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    Why does Palm have to come out with a facebook app that's to our liking. We can make a great one. I think these are things we could be doing. I understand people are mad about what Palm hasn't done, but they are deep in more important factors. A facebook app sounds so minor to me. Look at the Music (remix) app. They did something about it right off the bat. Those working on the video recording app are doing little complaining and a lot of figuring out. Palm is going to take a while. If the Blackberry and Iphone took 2 years to get it right, then this is going to take a while too. If those who want to switch to a different phone want to switch, then go ahead. You can either take the webos walk with us and make a little history or not. The less whiners the better.
    Am I buying an electronics device or joining a Southern Baptist church?

    It seems you're not quite clear on the difference between the two.

    You wanna know why Palm should come out with a great Facebook app instead of us developing one for them? How about...they don't give me a paycheck, and in fact, I paid THEM to use the device and to see them develop WebOS?

    You say Palm is "deep in more important factors" than Facebook. Ok. That begs a couple of questions.

    1) Why release an app at all then if you don't have the resources to do it properly?
    2) What are these "more important factors", and how do you know they are working on them?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The reason I think the comment is absurd is because do we really honestly think that it takes a lot of cpu horsepower to run a facebook app? The CPU is the same as the iphone 3gs from a cpu perspective, i mean really? If people can make an emulator that runs a previous phone's os faster than the phone itself don't you think he can 'make do' with a 500mhz cpu and 8gigs of ram? I think his comment is silly.
    What he's saying, and what jwz said, also to jeers on PreCentral, is that the performance of webOS makes for a poor user experience and therefore not worthy of developing for.

    With the launch of the Pixi, maybe Palm can take a breather from chasing new customers and finally attend to the needs of their existing ones to change that perception.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Whether palm had a hand in it or not, it's still known as palm's official version of a facebook app. The ultimate hand they have in it of course is approving it and throwing it in their store.

    In other words, it doesn't matter who made it. It reflects on Palm either way.

    Knowing how popular (and important) fb is, and Palm obviously does, this is a poor effort for a company that's had months to get it done.
    Why is it their "official" FaceBook App? I bought FriendFlow from the Apps Catalog a couple of weeks ago. Is that the "official" one.

    I don't think you're understanding my point. Is this just another App, like FriendFlow, is it released from Palm, is it licensed by Palm, is it released by FaceBook? There are way too many questions for folks to start proclaiming that Palm has somehow let everyone down with this release.

    I'm still disappointed they didn't have Angelina Jole deliver my Pre personally, but I think the company will still somehow survive...
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why is it their "official" FaceBook App? I bought FriendFlow from the Apps Catalog a couple of weeks ago. Is that the "official" one.

    I don't think you're understanding my point. Is this just another App, like FriendFlow, is it released from Palm, is it licensed by Palm, is it released by FaceBook? There are way too many questions for folks to start proclaiming that Palm has somehow let everyone down with this release.
    Because they actually have to change the operating system to support it, maybe? Have you not read on the main page that it won't even run on any version of WebOS earlier than 1.3.x? That only that version (and future ones) has the "underpinnings" for this very app?

    This is also the same app that Palm officially demonstrated when doing hands-on demos of the Pixi. I'm not sure how much more you need to accept this.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That begs a couple of questions.
    One of the most annoying misuses of the English language. To wit:

    Begging the question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #88  
    I stand corrected. So, that invites/prompts/suggests a couple of questions...
  9. #89  
    Anyone who thinks this is unimportant does not grasp the fact that Facebook is as important in the mobile space as a good email client. Saying it can be accessed on the web is like saying that email can be accessed on the web and there is no need for a good client. Absurd!

    Additionally, social networking is supposed to be the Pre's core competency. For many, Facebook IS social networking. If the Pre cannot offer best in class Facebook/social networking, then it has a HUGE public perception problem. iTunes gives a device instant credibility with consumers. A good Facebook client may be even more important. If Palm has an unreliable hack for one, and a poor effort for the other, they will not have another two years to get it right. Regardless of what you think about Facebook, this is a platform shaping issue.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I stand corrected. So, that invites/prompts/suggests a couple of questions...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. dustysa4's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    This thread is mind boggling...or is it mind bottling?
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Additionally, social networking is supposed to be the Pre's core competency. For many, Facebook IS social networking. If the Pre cannot offer best in class Facebook/social networking, then it has a HUGE public perception problem. iTunes gives a device instant credibility with consumers. A good Facebook client may be even more important. If Palm has an unreliable hack for one, and a poor effort for the other, they will not have another two years to get it right. Regardless of what you think about Facebook, this is a platform shaping issue.
    Sadly you're correct about this. Seems like everyone under 30 years of age has Facebook shoved completely up their rectum these days. If Palm wants that market they should have had Facebook right from the get go.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Because they actually have to change the operating system to support it, maybe? Have you not read on the main page that it won't even run on any version of WebOS earlier than 1.3.x? That only that version (and future ones) has the "underpinnings" for this very app?

    This is also the same app that Palm officially demonstrated when doing hands-on demos of the Pixi. I'm not sure how much more you need to accept this.
    Possibly something in the app store that shows that it's Palm's app. Sorry, but needing a change in the OS doesn't mean it's "official". There are HomeBrew apps that require a certain version of the OS. Pandora was shown on the Pre, but that's not Palm's app either.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Possibly something in the app store that shows that it's Palm's app. Sorry, but needing a change in the OS doesn't mean it's "official". There are HomeBrew apps that require a certain version of the OS. Pandora was shown on the Pre, but that's not Palm's app either.
    http://www.precentral.net/whats-new-webos-131

    "Palm has also told me that the 'underpinnings' necessary for the Facebook app are also in 1.3.1. That app is not included on the device by default (a mistake, in my opinion), but once you have a device that's been updated to 1.3.1, you can get it from the App Catalog."

    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pixi-...itations-video

    Palm rep repeatedly says it is a "dedicated" app.

    Again...what more do you need?
  15. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Possibly something in the app store that shows that it's Palm's app. Sorry, but needing a change in the OS doesn't mean it's "official". There are HomeBrew apps that require a certain version of the OS. Pandora was shown on the Pre, but that's not Palm's app either.

    I think I know the distinction you're driving at (did Palm create this POS, or did a third party, thereby relieving Saint Palm of blame?), and it doesn't matter. Palm is advocating and demoing this as *the* Facebook app for webOS, the one that has been shown on the Pixi and anticipated for months with the Pixi. It shows just how low their standards are right now. No way would I be touting this as any sort of showcase app. But hey, it is consistent with some of the other garbage out there, so that's a plus.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    [url]

    "Palm has also told me that the 'underpinnings' necessary for the Facebook app are also in 1.3.1. That app is not included on the device by default (a mistake, in my opinion), but once you have a device that's been updated to 1.3.1, you can get it from the App Catalog."

    [url]

    Palm rep repeatedly says it is a "dedicated" app.

    Again...what more do you need?
    Nothing in that quote says it's Palmls app, or "official". How about a screen shot of the catalog, where it shows the publisher?

    Doesn't much matter, we'll all know soon...
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I think I know the distinction you're driving at (did Palm create this POS, or did a third party, thereby relieving Saint Palm of blame?), and it doesn't matter. Palm is advocating and demoing this as *the* Facebook app for webOS, the one that has been shown on the Pixi and anticipated for months with the Pixi. It shows just how low their standards are right now. No way would I be touting this as any sort of showcase app. But hey, it is consistent with some of the other garbage out there, so that's a plus.
    Really? Palm said it was "*the* Facebook app for WeOS"? Where? I think you just made that up.
    As for the stupidity about "saint palm", the comment is just that - stupid. I don't give "credit" to Palm over Pandora, because it's Pandora's app, not Palm. No one can get the blme or credit for an app but the developer. I just think it's interesting all the balme boing pointed at Palm with no one showing whose app it is.
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Anyone who thinks this is unimportant does not grasp the fact that Facebook is as important in the mobile space as a good email client. Saying it can be accessed on the web is like saying that email can be accessed on the web and there is no need for a good client. Absurd!

    Additionally, social networking is supposed to be the Pre's core competency. For many, Facebook IS social networking. If the Pre cannot offer best in class Facebook/social networking, then it has a HUGE public perception problem. iTunes gives a device instant credibility with consumers. A good Facebook client may be even more important. If Palm has an unreliable hack for one, and a poor effort for the other, they will not have another two years to get it right. Regardless of what you think about Facebook, this is a platform shaping issue.
    +1.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really? Palm said it was "*the* Facebook app for WeOS"? Where? I think you just made that up.
    As for the stupidity about "saint palm", the comment is just that - stupid. I don't give "credit" to Palm over Pandora, because it's Pandora's app, not Palm. No one can get the blme or credit for an app but the developer. I just think it's interesting all the balme boing pointed at Palm with no one showing whose app it is.

    don't you get it??? It doesn't matter who wrote the app. It is and will always be known as the official Palm pre Facebook app.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    I still don't see the real need for a Facebook app. The mobile website works fine for me, and if I need more, I can always use the desktop version. I would rather see Palm focus on the bigger rocks...GPU support, Flash, calendar, etc.

    The mobile website would be a lot better if the feed wasn't so broken. Of course this does go along with the full website's feed being broken as well. But anything pulled from the API(as is for an app) doesn't seem as broken.

    Also Palm needs to get Facebook chat in messaging app.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions