Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 258
  1. csquare's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelwix View Post
    I normally don't add my two cents, REALLY?? I'm sick of comparing everything to the iphone!!! my wife has an iphone and I don't think its all that. So what if the facebook app is not that great. ITS VERSION .01 come on, it has to start somewhere. i know the blackberry facebook app started out like that and that was made by RIM. the iphone app is made by Facebook not apple. if you want one like that on the pre talk to Facebook and stop bashing palm. honestly id rather they foucus on making webos top of the line than work on a facebook app!!!.
    +1
    and adding that it took both RIM and Apple +2 years to get their Facebook apps to where they are now! Expecting Palm devs to release that caliber of app in 7 months is a little silly IMO. If your wanting the "full" blown Facebook experience, I would then suggest getting a 3G enabled Netbook for cheaper than the iPhone or Blackberry on contract and enjoy!!!
  2. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #62  
    I'm not a FB fan but I am a fan of applications rather than using the mobile version. It's easier to access plus you can parse the data faster. From what I've read ppl just want to be able to update status, possibly get notifications, look at pictures, upload pictures from their library. So why did it take so long for them to release such a let down?
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    *riot*

    *stands up and throws chair against the wall*
    Who is going to pay for that chair!?!?!?
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    ...
    So why did it take so long for them to release such a let down?
    Who is "them"? Who developed the app?
  5. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #65  
    It really comes down to management of expectations. Everyone who has been following this phone before it came out saw videos of a facebook app icon. The Pre arrives sans app and we are told it is coming 'soon'. So we wait on an app that, ostensibly, is already in the cooker.

    Finally, on another phone, the Pixi, the app seems to be coming, but, after so much time, it is incredibly bare bones--less facebook and more twitter-status-updates-from-facebook.

    I have complete faith that it will improve, as will it's overall integration into the WebOS as a whole. But, the syllogism that allows for the iphone argument of 'it took 3 years to get where they are' is meaningless if you don't put it into context. It did not take 3 years for the program to be constructed: it took three years for apple to realize what it had in the potential of apps, for facebook to put a stranglehold on personal blog-space marketshare, for facebook to begin allowing for programs to access its content through proper APIs, for facebook and apple to determine where they would shift their goals as companies, and for facebook and apple to see the benefit of a polished app.

    The actual writing of the app took some time, sure, but the provenance of a facebook app lie less in the software's creation and more in the nature of the construction of the app business model itself.

    A model that exists already.

    People are upset because the blueprints are there. No, I am not talking about porting programs over which is not going to happen exactly, but I am talking about the idea of what a more completed facebook app feels like.

    One of the important things to always remember about commentary on the Pre (and now, Pixi) and Palm is that everything depends on your time frame. If you have been following the phone from the beginning and know what was implied, you will have a different set of views than the day-one pixi recruits we get on this board. If you barely use the calendar enough for it to bother you, you will have a different opinion from someone who had a treo 650 then switched to a treo 800w then switched to...etc.

    What I am trying to say is that this issue isn't really about facebook at all.

    I barely check facebook-it is really not my thing, but I understand its use. In fact, every manufacturer does as a facebook program appears on every single phone these days; except the palm pre (by default).

    The Homebrew community has been rockstars from the very start, and it's almost a shame that a portion of Pre sales don't automatically go into a kitty that they divvy up amongst themselves. When an official dev demonstrates how they can make integral code in real time in front of a room of folks and have it be useful, you wonder "why not just do that in the first place?" If it is that easy, then why do we have 3 threads on the first page asking about text forwarding (yes, there is a patch, and, yes, I use it to great effect).

    I almost wish Preware came installed on all Pres and Pixis for the sake of both Palm and, most importantly, the consumer.

    The homebrew community has made tweak after patch after application, and you just wonder what is happening on the other end of things. Of course palm cannot send out a Pdf that says 'ok on this date we will have this and on that date we will have that' but when a dev says 'immediate future' in terms of speed updates, you tend to assume he means immediate future, such as a 1.3.1 patch that is due a month away.

    I would have absolutely no issues if the next patch had no changes, but gave dev's access to a boatload of APIs, to let them run wild. That would be fun, and I would be all for it, but after all this bluster about increased speed, a native facebook app, css transforms, and flash, I don't think anyone is in the wrong to feel a bit disappointed.

    I am. And while this isn't a 'How could you, Palm. Farewell.' post because this is clearly the best phone on the market, it does make you wonder.

    I almost wish I could skip this patch, so I don't have to be bothered into removing all my tweaks and patches and switching partitions and such. Ha, now that would be an interesting feature: crappy patch that isn't that impressive? Change the download date so by the time Palm releases a patch that is worth all the trouble, you can actually be impressed.
  6. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    It really comes down to management of expectations. Everyone who has been following this phone before it came out saw videos of a facebook app icon. The Pre arrives sans app and we are told it is coming 'soon'. So we wait on an app that, ostensibly, is already in the cooker.

    Finally, on another phone, the Pixi, the app seems to be coming, but, after so much time, it is incredibly bare bones--less facebook and more twitter-status-updates-from-facebook.

    I have complete faith that it will improve, as will it's overall integration into the WebOS as a whole. But, the syllogism that allows for the iphone argument of 'it took 3 years to get where they are' is meaningless if you don't put it into context. It did not take 3 years for the program to be constructed: it took three years for apple to realize what it had in the potential of apps, for facebook to put a stranglehold on personal blog-space marketshare, for facebook to begin allowing for programs to access its content through proper APIs, for facebook and apple to determine where they would shift their goals as companies, and for facebook and apple to see the benefit of a polished app.

    The actual writing of the app took some time, sure, but the provenance of a facebook app lie less in the software's creation and more in the nature of the construction of the app business model itself.

    A model that exists already.

    People are upset because the blueprints are there. No, I am not talking about porting programs over which is not going to happen exactly, but I am talking about the idea of what a more completed facebook app feels like.

    One of the important things to always remember about commentary on the Pre (and now, Pixi) and Palm is that everything depends on your time frame. If you have been following the phone from the beginning and know what was implied, you will have a different set of views than the day-one pixi recruits we get on this board. If you barely use the calendar enough for it to bother you, you will have a different opinion from someone who had a treo 650 then switched to a treo 800w then switched to...etc.

    What I am trying to say is that this issue isn't really about facebook at all.

    I barely check facebook-it is really not my thing, but I understand its use. In fact, every manufacturer does as a facebook program appears on every single phone these days; except the palm pre (by default).

    The Homebrew community has been rockstars from the very start, and it's almost a shame that a portion of Pre sales don't automatically go into a kitty that they divvy up amongst themselves. When an official dev demonstrates how they can make integral code in real time in front of a room of folks and have it be useful, you wonder "why not just do that in the first place?" If it is that easy, then why do we have 3 threads on the first page asking about text forwarding (yes, there is a patch, and, yes, I use it to great effect).

    I almost wish Preware came installed on all Pres and Pixis for the sake of both Palm and, most importantly, the consumer.

    The homebrew community has made tweak after patch after application, and you just wonder what is happening on the other end of things. Of course palm cannot send out a Pdf that says 'ok on this date we will have this and on that date we will have that' but when a dev says 'immediate future' in terms of speed updates, you tend to assume he means immediate future, such as a 1.3.1 patch that is due a month away.

    I would have absolutely no issues if the next patch had no changes, but gave dev's access to a boatload of APIs, to let them run wild. That would be fun, and I would be all for it, but after all this bluster about increased speed, a native facebook app, css transforms, and flash, I don't think anyone is in the wrong to feel a bit disappointed.

    I am. And while this isn't a 'How could you, Palm. Farewell.' post because this is clearly the best phone on the market, it does make you wonder.

    I almost wish I could skip this patch, so I don't have to be bothered into removing all my tweaks and patches and switching partitions and such. Ha, now that would be an interesting feature: crappy patch that isn't that impressive? Change the download date so by the time Palm releases a patch that is worth all the trouble, you can actually be impressed.
    DUDE! Perfect response down to the last sentence!!!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I think now we are entitled to whine, *****, complain and any other fitting adjective you can think of.

    [url]

    ** Palm and ** Facebook.

    Edit: Full page users and naysers need not post.
    meep! http://wbztv.com/local/meep.banned.danvers.2.1307139.html
    There are four lights.
  8. tejoe's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #68  
    i'm trying to get rid of sprint tv and nascar (not just hide) why would i want to add facebook to that list?
  9. #69  


    All these petty arguments over facebook and or how our phones can be android or Iphones
  10. tejoe's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #70  
    [QUOTE=
    All these petty arguments over facebook and or how our phones can be android or Iphones[/QUOTE]

    the truest statement ever written
  11. #71  
    I'm not going to start throwing things but I'm not too happy about the Facebook app either. I don't need to have the app but I believe it was a basic expectation of a lot of Pre users. I agree with the argument that Palm has the advantage of knowing what a good Facebook app looks like. I assume it's complicated to build an app like this but how many resources could a facebook app really take? I guess I was reading too much into the HUGE! Facebook set that Palm created for one of their early commercials. That probably took more effort than actually putting out an app and it was a little misleading imho.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    I'm not going to start throwing things but I'm not too happy about the Facebook app either. I don't need to have the app but I believe it was a basic expectation of a lot of Pre users. I agree with the argument that Palm has the advantage of knowing what a good Facebook app looks like. I assume it's complicated to build an app like this but how many resources could a facebook app really take? I guess I was reading too much into the HUGE! Facebook set that Palm created for one of their early commercials. That probably took more effort than actually putting out an app and it was a little misleading imho.
    agreed with the part about having the knowledge of what a facebook app looks like. true - it took the iphone 2 years to make what they have today.....but they made that from scratch. palm could look at that and at least have SOME ideas how to make a good app. apparently its not on their list of priorities tho. oh well. tis lame
  13. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There's really no way one can logically discount or dismiss what he is saying. The only question is whether or not other high-caliber developers feel the same way. And, does this explain what is/is not in the App Catalog right now?
    It does, and it's inline with the feelings in my small corner of the mobile developer world. A lot of developers remain disappointed by the SDK and are sitting on the sidelines. It's not so much "opinion" as Joe's statement makes it sound like, but rather, the simple reality that we can't develop the kind of stuff we want/need to. And we still have the big problem of no source code protection, which definitely scares off the pros.

    Now the new twist is that Joe is a well respected web developer with a true understanding of, and appreciation for, web apps. For someone like him to be so outspoken in this case says a lot. But I agree with him 100%.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Who is "them"? Who developed the app?
    Whether palm had a hand in it or not, it's still known as palm's official version of a facebook app. The ultimate hand they have in it of course is approving it and throwing it in their store.

    In other words, it doesn't matter who made it. It reflects on Palm either way.

    Knowing how popular (and important) fb is, and Palm obviously does, this is a poor effort for a company that's had months to get it done.
  15. #75  
    Why does Palm have to come out with a facebook app that's to our liking. We can make a great one. I think these are things we could be doing. I understand people are mad about what Palm hasn't done, but they are deep in more important factors. A facebook app sounds so minor to me. Look at the Music (remix) app. They did something about it right off the bat. Those working on the video recording app are doing little complaining and a lot of figuring out. Palm is going to take a while. If the Blackberry and Iphone took 2 years to get it right, then this is going to take a while too. If those who want to switch to a different phone want to switch, then go ahead. You can either take the webos walk with us and make a little history or not. The less whiners the better.
  16. jp22382's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #76  
    I would like Palm to spend their time working to improve the device and OS that I spent my money on and switched carriers for. Not create an app for a social networking site so I can obsessively mull over meaningless posts by people I should be talking to face to face instead of online.

    I don't care about iPhones or anything Android and what they can do. If I did, I would have bought one of those instead.

    Back to reality.
  17. chiwo's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #77  
    It would be totally awesome if Joe Hewitt would develop an official Facebook app for WebOS now he quitted making the app for iPhone.
    A Facebook app made by a third party would never be as good as an app made by Facebook engineers. Just take a look at the upcoming WebOS Facebook app, or the BlackBerry Facebook app, and then look at the iPhone Facebook app.
    Night and Day difference!
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    I would like Palm to spend their time working to improve the device and OS that I spent my money on and switched carriers for. Not create an app for a social networking site so I can obsessively mull over meaningless posts by people I should be talking to face to face instead of online.

    I don't care about iPhones or anything Android and what they can do. If I did, I would have bought one of those instead.

    Back to reality.
    different ppl are pleased in different ways. facebook may not be important for you but that doesnt mean others dont like it. to be 100% fair to everyone both should be taken care of.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    I would like Palm to spend their time working to improve the device and OS that I spent my money on and switched carriers for. Not create an app for a social networking site so I can obsessively mull over meaningless posts by people I should be talking to face to face instead of online.

    I don't care about iPhones or anything Android and what they can do. If I did, I would have bought one of those instead.

    Back to reality.
    and you say this while posting under an anonymous name on a web forum about a phone LOL
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There is no mystery here about what Joe Hewitt said. Obviously, he knows what he's talking about regarding Facebook and web development. He's no fan of the iPhone App Store although he developed one of the top 10 iPhone apps ever. He seems to understand WebOS pretty well. If he was at the Palm development meeting a month ago then I'm sure Palm was very interested in talking with him and giving him access to whatever he needs. He says that WebOS is his favorite mobile OS but the performance is "horrid" and needs to be optimized either with hardware or software updates.

    There's really no way one can logically discount or dismiss what he is saying. The only question is whether or not other high-caliber developers feel the same way. And, does this explain what is/is not in the App Catalog right now?
    The reason I think the comment is absurd is because do we really honestly think that it takes a lot of cpu horsepower to run a facebook app? The CPU is the same as the iphone 3gs from a cpu perspective, i mean really? If people can make an emulator that runs a previous phone's os faster than the phone itself don't you think he can 'make do' with a 500mhz cpu and 8gigs of ram? I think his comment is silly.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions