Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What a lame comment. That guy is clueless.
    He's clueless because he wants to develop for WebOS and thinks it's his favorite of the current mobile OSes, iPhone included?
    meh I'm more interested in this Facebook app developer is through with the iPhone, blames App Store approval process

the pre can already access facebool chat through the full site. All it needs is for chat to be implemented into the m.facebook.com app. Now that the lead developer for the facebook app on the iphone is pursuing other things, I see facebook chat through the mobile site in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, he developed the native iPhone Facebook app that everyone here wants to have ported to WebOS. He's a web developer. His favorite mobile OS is WebOS. He works for Facebook (I think). So, he's probably not THAT useless.
    I agree he's not useless but to say WebOS his favorite mobile OS and then say he won't develop for it since he has issues with hardware and speed is kind of pointless. Its the only OS developed on web principles and it would make more sense for him to contribute to the success of his favorite OS rather than sit on the sidelines and wait till hardware issues are worked out. Its seems more like he is baiting Apple then really complimenting WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I agree he's not useless but to say WebOS his favorite mobile OS and then say he won't develop for it since he has issues with hardware and speed is kind of pointless. Its the only OS developed on web principles and it would make more sense for him to contribute to the success of his favorite OS rather than sit on the sidelines and wait till hardware issues are worked out. Its seems more like he is baiting Apple then really complimenting WebOS.
    Or like many of us initially enamored with the device and now disenchanted, he loves the concept of WebOS, cards, Synergy, and multitasking, but thinks Palm's current implementation of it is poor along with their shoddy, unreliable hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    It took what 5 posts for the tired "who needs a FB app" post.

What other apps that emulate the functionality of a website or other service is on your Pre? Your hatred for facebook is showing. If you even used the site you'd know what a lame argument that is. fail. end.
    I use FB all the time; however, I also wonder what functionality people demand from an app that they can't get from bookmarking the site.

And I'm not sure what the need is for the aggression - maybe try more fiber?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    lol@the facebook addicts, they are like crackheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I use FB all the time; however, I also wonder what functionality people demand from an app that they can't get from bookmarking the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Why do you need an application where you can use the website? I don't get it.
    - Text formatted specifically for your device
    - Notifications pushed to the notification area like email and Twitter
    - No memory sucked up if you leave it open like the full site
    - Integrated functionality with WebOS as development matures

These of no interest to you, eh? Let's just bookmark all of the sites and kill the apps altogether. Hit Pandora.com, Yelp.com, Fandango.com, Accuweather.com, Twitter.com, Craigslist.com, and aaaaaaaalllll those other sites, and let's just clear that junk from the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There is no mystery here about what Joe Hewitt said. Obviously, he knows what he's talking about regarding Facebook and web development. He's no fan of the iPhone App Store although he developed one of the top 10 iPhone apps ever. He seems to understand WebOS pretty well. If he was at the Palm development meeting a month ago then I'm sure Palm was very interested in talking with him and giving him access to whatever he needs. He says that WebOS is his favorite mobile OS but the performance is "horrid" and needs to be optimized either with hardware or software updates.

There's really no way one can logically discount or dismiss what he is saying. The only question is whether or not other high-caliber developers feel the same way. And, does this explain what is/is not in the App Catalog right now?
    And is one of several reasons why the Pixi was a bad idea..
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    - Text formatted specifically for your device
    - Notifications pushed to the notification area like email and Twitter
    - No memory sucked up if you leave it open like the full site
    - Integrated functionality with WebOS as development matures

These of no interest to you, eh? Let's just bookmark all of the sites and kill the apps altogether. Hit Pandora.com, Yelp.com, Fandango.com, Accuweather.com, Twitter.com, Craigslist.com, and aaaaaaaalllll those other sites, and let's just clear that junk from the app catalog.
    +1. Yet they still argue against progress. baffling.
    I admit to being on Facebook more than I should, but the revamped (a few months ago) version of x.facebook.com works fine for my Facebooking needs.

Would it be nice to have an iPhone-caliber app? Absolutely. But it's not like we're being completely screwed over on this front.
    Yet they still argue against progress. baffling.
    I don't think people are arguing against progress, simply asking

• what is the lack of functionality at the moment, which has been answered, and
    • why you're getting so worked up about it. Is the outrage really in proportion to the issue? Not every tiny thing in life requires a "revolt" - it'll just raise your blood pressure needlessly.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Problem is, this is indicative of what Palm achieves when they take time and "focus" on a problem. It's a feature-poor effort that homebrew developers with less resources were able to surpass in a fraction of the time.

How much confidence does that give you that Palm is going to address the "bigger rocks" any better?
    Good grief - so you've somehow determined that they "took time and focused on a problem", and you use this to (further) condemn their development processes?

How do you know they "focused" on the problem. Is it possible they said "give them something, so we can get back to serious stuff".

Maybe they just licensed it from someone else.

Maybe they determined that most users are like me (and a couple others over here), and don't want constant updates on our phones from everyone on Facebook. As a matter of fact, the biggest "synergy" complaint I've seen about the Pre is the overwhelming number of names that it pulls from Facebook accounts.

Feel free to dislike the app, but the notion that this app is somehow indicitive of a poor development process from Palm is just more of your "I hate Palm" nonsense.
    He's clueless because he wants to develop for WebOS and thinks it's his favorite of the current mobile OSes, iPhone included?
    The iphone OS is terrible. Havent you heard yet?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I admit to being on Facebook more than I should, but the revamped (a few months ago) version of x.facebook.com works fine for my Facebooking needs.

Would it be nice to have an iPhone-caliber app? Absolutely. But it's not like we're being completely screwed over on this front.
    Just out of curiosity, what would they have to "completely" screw Facebook enthusiasts over? Actively block all the mobile versions?

I mean, if your answer is "do nothing," then they have fulfilled that requirement. A Facebook app that can't match Touch.facebook.com or X.facebook.com is essentially nothing.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    *riot*

*stands up and throws chair against the wall*
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Good grief - so you've somehow determined that they "took time and focused on a problem", and you use this to (further) condemn their development processes?

How do you know they "focused" on the problem. Is it possible they said "give them something, so we can get back to serious stuff".
    Wait...is that supposed to indicate BETTER decision-making on their part?

"Hey, we know lots of people want this 'unserious' feature, so let's just throw some barebones crap at them and get back to syncing with iTunes"

It's funny that you inadvertently make Palm look worse than any criticism on my part ever could. I mean, hilarious...

Maybe they determined that most users are like me (and a couple others over here), and don't want constant updates on our phones from everyone on Facebook. As a matter of fact, the biggest "synergy" complaint I've seen about the Pre is the overwhelming number of names that it pulls from Facebook accounts.
    Synergy has NOTHING to do with a Facebook app. Zero.

The entire point of an app is you being able to interact natively with Facebook to the extent that you want to. If you just wanna read posts, great. Turn notifications off from inside the app. But lots of people want to interact natively with every possible function of Facebook on their device. They should be able to if other platforms can.

But again if Palm "determined" what you described above to me, you make them look far dumber than I would ever try to.
    Just out of curiosity, what would they have to "completely" screw Facebook enthusiasts over? Actively block all the mobile versions?

I mean, if your answer is "do nothing," then they have fulfilled that requirement. A Facebook app that can't match Touch.facebook.com or X.facebook.com is essentially nothing.
    Maybe completely screwing over wasn't the best choice of terms to use.

I was simply pointing out that there are a number of ways to access FB on webOS that allow us to get our fixes. None of them are perfect, but the outrage here makes it sound like there's absolutely no way to use FB on webOS which just isn't true any way you slice it.

You're right in that the barebones official app is a big disappointment. Considering FB is in the Pre's ad campaigns, I'd expect more. But given that I can do about 80% of what I want to on FB on my Pre without that app, I'm perfectly okay with that until an updated app comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    Maybe completely screwing over wasn't the best choice of terms to use.

I was simply pointing out that there are a number of ways to access FB on webOS that allow us to get our fixes. None of them are perfect, but the outrage here makes it sound like there's absolutely no way to use FB on webOS which just isn't true any way you slice it.

You're right in that the barebones official app is a big disappointment. Considering FB is in the Pre's ad campaigns, I'd expect more. But given that I can do about 80% of what I want to on FB on my Pre without that app, I'm perfectly okay with that until an updated app comes out.
    And that's fine that you're okay with it, and it's fine that anyone else is happy with what's available now.

But the "outrage" should tell that a LOT of people are NOT happy with what's available now. And they shouldn't be.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Wow..revolt over a Facebook app? Seriously? This is the best you could come up with concerning the Pre and WebOS? Surely you could have taken an extra min or two to come up with something more important than rioting over a FB app.

Hmm, app limit fixed yet?
    Notifications fixed yet?
    How about overall perfomance issues? That fixed yet?
    Oh how about the calendar? Have the numerous issues/complaints with the calendar been resolved yet?

Wow that took me all of 10 sec. Yet you want to revolt about FB.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Wow..revolt over a Facebook app? Seriously? This is the best you could come up with concerning the Pre and WebOS? Surely you could have taken an extra min or two to come up with something more important than rioting over a FB app.

Hmm, app limit fixed yet?
    Notifications fixed yet?
    How about overall perfomance issues? That fixed yet?
    Oh how about the calendar? Have the numerous issues/complaints with the calendar been resolved yet?

Wow that took me all of 10 sec. Yet you want to revolt about FB.

Your argument = FAIL

Your argument is that what is important to you MUST be important to me?

Do i have to make a thread about the app limit? personally i've never hit it so it doesnt bother me, YET

Do i have to make a thread about performance issues, no.

Do i care enough about the calendar to make a thread. no. it serves my purposes for now and i hope they improve it but if they dont i could care less.

Your argument and your post Fails miserably on all points.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast