Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Whelp, VickyMack, looks like this whole facebook thing has you so upset that maybe you should just buy an iPhone to get that coveted app you so seek.
    Sounds like the response of someone who knows palm won't..
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    making assumptions much?

I own an ipod touch and have access to facebook for iphone. Were you supposed to be making some sort of point? Please advise.
    Absolutely. Contrary to your constant assertions, the lack of the end all be all of Facebook clients on webOS isn't going to sink the ship that is Palm. Hell, I doubt it'll even impact sales. The forthcoming application will be plenty useful to most, and I'm positive that we can expect enhanced functionality in this app and in other third party apps as time goes on.

And quite honestly, you and your cohorts in this thread have blown this... what do they call it... completely out of proportion.
  3.    #183  
    Absolutely. Contrary to your constant assertions, the lack of the end all be all of Facebook clients on webOS isn't going to sink the ship that is Palm. Hell, I doubt it'll even impact sales. The forthcoming application will be plenty useful to most, and I'm positive that we can expect enhanced functionality in this app and in other third party apps as time goes on.

And quite honestly, you and your cohorts in this thread have blown this... what do they call it... completely out of proportion.
    disagree. And I've whined no more than the whiners wanting a better calendar, or the whiners wanting notification sounds, or the whiners that want txt forwarding. Your point fails. And you don't think a crappy facebook app will affect sales? Wow you are wrong again.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    disagree. And I've whined no more than the whiners wanting a better calendar, or the whiners wanting notification sounds, or the whiners that want txt forwarding. Your point fails. And you don't think a crappy facebook app will affect sales? Wow you are wrong again.
    How do the first three things you've mentioned make my "point fail"? Are you even sure what my point was?
    Another one of those assertions that can neither be proven, nor disproved.

The fact is that I already have a not one, but two very usable Facebook apps for the Pre, not counting the web browser.

As far as the success of the whining, you didn't just whine, you attempted to recruit to your "cause". And you saw the resounding results, several folks agreeing with you. The same folks that spend most of their time on Pre Central whining about the Pre.
  6.    #186  
    How do the first three things you've mentioned make my "point fail"? Are you even sure what my point was?
    your point is that I'm whining and blowing this matter out of proportion. My prior post pointed out that that simply wasn't the case. Read it again.
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Another one of those assertions that can neither be proven, nor disproved.

The fact is that I already have a not one, but two very usable Facebook apps for the Pre, not counting the web browser.

As far as the success of the whining, you didn't just whine, you attempted to recruit to your "cause". And you saw the resounding results, several folks agreeing with you. The same folks that spend most of their time on Pre Central whining about the Pre.
    happy for you, then my need for a more robust app shoudnt bother you then eh?
    It does not matter if you care about Facebook or twitter or email for that matter. Palm does, and so does the target market they are going after. It also does not matter who made the Facebook app. The only thing that matters is how good it is compared to the competition. If it is not very good, there are only two conclusions one can draw. WebOS is deficient and a better app can't be made, or a better app can be made but Palm is unable to attract better developers. In terms of public perception, I am not sure which problem is worse. Either way, it is most definitely a problem.

Compounding the problem is that the app was delayed for so long and highly anticipated. It is a key application for a social networking phone. Palm wanted to put their best foot forward. This Facebook app represents the best they could do. That probably scares people more than the app, itself.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    your point is that I'm whining and blowing this matter out of proportion. My prior post pointed out that that simply wasn't the case. Read it again.
    Now you're catching on. And watch this: Sorry MickVackey, you're simply wrong about this whole Facebook thing. Really. Tell me, what metric do you plan on using to measure how the lack of a Facebook app designed by jesus himself will affect sales going forward?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sounds like the response of someone who knows palm won't..
    hahaha ns
    Now you're catching on. And watch this: Sorry MickVackey, you're simply wrong about this whole Facebook thing. Really. Tell me, what metric do you plan on using to measure how the lack of a Facebook app designed by jesus himself will affect sales going forward?
    Alright. To borrow from hparsons, only "some" users want a good Facebook app, and only "some" users want a good Calendar, and only "some" users care about the Music app and podcasts, and so on.

Is there anything at all that's actually important in webOS, or is it just a mishmash of stuff no one really cares about?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It does not matter if you care about Facebook or twitter or email for that matter. Palm does, and so does the target market they are going after. It also does not matter who made the Facebook app. The only thing that matters is how good it is compared to the competition. If it is not very good, there are only two conclusions one can draw. WebOS is deficient and a better app can't be made, or a better app can be made but Palm is unable to attract better developers. In terms of public perception, I am not sure which problem is worse. Either way, it is most definitely a problem.

Compounding the problem is that the app was delayed for so long and highly anticipated. It is a key application for a social networking phone. Palm wanted to put their best foot forward. This Facebook app represents the best they could do. That probably scares people more than the app, itself.
    And you're confusing the target market you perceive Palm to be going after with people who actually spend time trolling forums and dicking around on Engadget (hint: they're probably mutually exclusive) . Really, the folks who are going to be buying the Pixi might read CNet's review or that of PCMagazine, and that's about it. Further, the perception shared by a small subset of users in the forum does not equate to that of the general population.

Third parties will fill these voids, sales will go full steam ahead (hello, $30 Pixi), and debating with MickVackey is like arguing with an AOL bot.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Alright. To borrow from hparsons, only "some" users want a good Facebook app, and only "some" users want a good Calendar, and only "some" users care about the Music app and podcasts, and so on.

Is there anything at all that's actually important in webOS, or is it just a mishmash of stuff no one really cares about?
    Okay. To borrow from myself, "The forthcoming Facebook app is likely to be adequate for most people". I'm not debating that some folks really want a Facebook app. What I am saying is for those folks who find the utility of this entry lacking, there will be more solutions in the future.
    And you're confusing the target market you perceive Palm to be going after with people who actually spend time trolling forums and dicking around on Engadget...
    No, I'm confusing the target market with those who Palm designed their ad campaign for, and those for whom Synergy was made. It sounds like you may not be the target market, but just someone who found other uses for the phone. That's great. But the Pre, based on Palm's advertising and features they promote, is a social networking phone. That's the target market.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Third parties will fill these voids, sales will go full steam ahead (hello, $30 Pixi), and debating with MickVackey is like arguing with an AOL bot.
    Wait, he's NOT an AOL bot? (sorry, couldn't resist)
  16.    #196  
    Okay. To borrow from myself, "The forthcoming Facebook app is likely to be adequate for most people". I'm not debating that some folks really want a Facebook app. What I am saying is for those folks who find the utility of this entry lacking, there will be more solutions in the future.
    disagree. If you used facebook you'd realize what a letdown the pre app is and most users will not be satisfied with it. By your logic, most users will read a cnet review, facebook app sucks? Android good? Iphone good? Hey I'll go with them. So again, a crappy app of the biggest social networking site will likely affect not only sales, but perception of the platform.

The forthcoming application will be "plenty useful to most", eh?

Well, according to Dieter, the app has JUST the following features:

- Read a list of your friends' status updates
    - Comment on their status updates and make them as "liked."
    - Update your own status
    - When a friend updates a photo album, you can view the album within the Facebook app.
    - Comment on a friend's photo album

Yet, by directing your Pre browser to touch.facebook.com, you can do all of that AND:

- View profiles
    - View your inbox
    - View and respond to invites
    - View anyone's photo album you're allowed to, not just people in your news feed
    - See all your friends

That's available NOW. Has been for sometime. Free. No app to install. Look and feel is formatted for Pre/iPhone/Android resolution, and is arguably more attractive than the Pre app look and feel. Takes up no memory against the app limit.

So, how would this barebones mess be "plenty useful" to anybody again?
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    disagree. If you used facebook you'd realize what a letdown the pre app is and most users will not be satisfied with it. By your logic, most users will read a cnet review, facebook app sucks? Android good? Iphone good? Hey I'll go with them. So again, a crappy app of the biggest social networking site will likely affect not only sales, but perception of the platform.
    Psssst guess what... I do use Facebook. And often. And usually when I am using my phone to check Facebook, I'm more interested in a quick look at my news feed than I am anything else. Am I disappointed that there isn't going to be more functionality in this app off the bat? Sure. But I have a feeling most people interface with Facebook on their mobiles in manner similar to me. Even ask Joe Hewitt himself.
    Psssst guess what... I do use Facebook. And often. And usually when I am using my phone to check Facebook, I'm more interested in a quick look at my news feed than I am anything else. Am I disappointed that there isn't going to be more functionality in this app off the bat? Sure. But I have a feeling most people interface with Facebook on their mobiles in manner similar to me. Even ask Joe Hewitt himself.
    Which brings us back to square one...why have an app that just duplicates the mobile site in a different skin if that's all "most people" use anyway?

People aren't asking for an app because it is such a frickin' hassle to type touch.facebook.com into your Pre browser once and bookmark it. They want an app because they want to do MORE, not less.
    i am impressed the video was taken using a blackberry... pretty sharp and decent sound.