1.    #1  
    This is getting annoying. If Palm is going to advertise all the wonderfulness of 'synergy', they damned well better fix the basic issues with syncing.

Specifically:

1) google contacts: Use "my contacts" not "all contacts". Google grabs info about everyone you've ever sent a message to. That doesn't mean I want them all in my address book. Also, deleting contacts from one place never reflects in the other. Sometimes edits don't work either. This is unacceptable. People rely on their address books being correct and up to date.

2) calendar. Too many issues to name here, but mostly centered around calendars updated in one place not being updated in the other. The kludge workaround for disappearing events on the web page when you edit on the pre is a bit unacceptable as well.

Palm needs to address these basic things, and address them soon. Contacts and calendars have always been the core of any palm device, and they are absolutely unreliable on the Pre.
    Odd, and not to dismiss your issues, but I've never had either of the problems you mention.

The "all contacts" thing is a pain, but that is just the way it was set up, and not technically a problem.
    I guess I've been one of the lucky ones, so far on the calendar, I haven't had that issue. I sync up about five google calendars with my Pre and outlook, and when I make a change in one it does replicate to the others.. Contacts as well.. I don't use that account for email, so I guess that explains why I don't have the issue of it adding everyone to my contacts. So I'll definately agree with you on that.
    Wow, sorry you're having issues, but I have to say I've had good luck with the Google sync and think it's pretty awesome over all. Way better than desktop sync IMHO (and we won't even mention the problems with Palm Profile).
    I think knobbysideup has a good point. There are serious synking issues with both the calendar and the contact list, but especially with the calendar.

If nothing else, you should have options on how to sync. Do you want calendar entries to go from Google to the Pre and then to your Palm Desktop? Do you only want contacts to whom you have sent mail in the past, say, month?

And my pet peeve--the calendar does not recognize time zones, so a flight that leaves Boston at noon and arrives in SF at 3 looks like it took 3 hours on the Pre, when it was a 6 hour flight. Not having time zones makes it especially difficult to schedule teleconferences and overseas calls.

As I have said before, the Pre's calendar and contact list need some serious fixin' if the Pre is to be a serious business tool.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    The "all contacts" thing is a pain, but that is just the way it was set up, and not technically a problem.
    It is a problem. All other phones using Google Sync pull their contacts from "My Contacts" and it makes much more sense that way. Google could fix it on their end by letting me disable it automatically adding people but it's equally Palm's problem for not implementing it properly. I really hope it gets addressed at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    It is a problem. All other phones using Google Sync pull their contacts from "My Contacts" and it makes much more sense that way. Google could fix it on their end by letting me disable it automatically adding people but it's equally Palm's problem for not implementing it properly. I really hope it gets addressed at some point.

Just configure your Pre to use "My Contacts" and not All contacts.

As far as calendar issues, I've really not had the issues that the OP is stating. My calendar runs great, on my Pre and at two different desktops.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Just configure your Pre to use "My Contacts" and not All contacts.
    Everything I have read says you can't do that. Care to educate us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Everything I have read says you can't do that. Care to educate us?
    Sure.. let me find the steps and I'll post here in a bit...

*Edit

Credit goes to Hardbeatz over at the Palm forums:

- Setup up Gmail normally in Messaging. It'll add Gmail as the Contact source also
    - Go into Contacts and remove the Gmail contact source (this only removes it from Contacts, not from messaging).
    - Add a new account to Contacts (menu > preferences & accounts > add account)
    - Add an Exchange account (Gmail has an Exchange protocol open for iPhones)
    - Since the Pre will show an error if you try to use the same email address, add a "." somewhere in the address. Gmail ignores periods in email addresses but it will fool the Pre into thinking it's a 2nd email address
    - Use "Exchange (EAS)" for the mail type
    - Use your email address with a "." in it (ex. "u.ser@gmail.com" rather than "user@gmail.com")
    - Use "https://m.google.com" for incoming mail server
    - Leave domain blank
    - Use your normal user name without the periods (ex. "user")
    - Hit "Sign In"

Done!

The iPhone Exchange protocol uses "My Contacts" rather than "All Contacts" so you'll only see the ones you want.

Hope this helps. Some users have found duplicate calendar entries when using this method so take caution. I don't use this method but I've known about it for quite some time (ALL my contacts sync and that's ok with me).

If you want to read the thread:

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...thread.id=4737
    Last edited by Achill3s; 11/10/2009 at 04:48 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Yeah. *that's* a reasonable solution to the problem (not). The entire reason google has a standard 'my contacts' is for syncing to other devices. Not sure why palm ignores it. As stated above, every other platform gets this right.

I'd like the option to have google not store every single contact, but the best solution is for "My Contacts" to be used by the pre as intended.

Sure.. let me find the steps and I'll post here in a bit...

*Edit

Credit goes to Hardbeatz over at the Palm forums:

- Setup up Gmail normally in Messaging. It'll add Gmail as the Contact source also
    - Go into Contacts and remove the Gmail contact source (this only removes it from Contacts, not from messaging).
    - Add a new account to Contacts (menu > preferences & accounts > add account)
    - Add an Exchange account (Gmail has an Exchange protocol open for iPhones)
    - Since the Pre will show an error if you try to use the same email address, add a "." somewhere in the address. Gmail ignores periods in email addresses but it will fool the Pre into thinking it's a 2nd email address
    - Use "Exchange (EAS)" for the mail type
    - Use your email address with a "." in it (ex. "u.ser@gmail.com" rather than "user@gmail.com")
    - Use "https://m.google.com" for incoming mail server
    - Leave domain blank
    - Use your normal user name without the periods (ex. "user")
    - Hit "Sign In"

Done!

The iPhone Exchange protocol uses "My Contacts" rather than "All Contacts" so you'll only see the ones you want.

Hope this helps. Some users have found duplicate calendar entries when using this method so take caution. I don't use this method but I've known about it for quite some time (ALL my contacts sync and that's ok with me).

If you want to read the thread:

Syncing My Contacts versus All Contacts - Synergy (webOS) - Palm Support Community
  11.    #11  
    Another problem with this solution is that EAS links email account with contacts. I don't use gmail as my primary mail account, only forward to it so I can check at work where I'm not allowed to hit my own imap server. The problem is that if I delete the EAS email account, which I have no use for, the contacts account goes with it. With the gmail protocol, you can keep the contact sync, but remove gmail for email.
    Its is simple. just set up gmail as an EAS account and it only syncs "My Contacts". Done & Done, easy-peasy.

No need to do all the extra email renaming stuff.
  13.    #13  
    If you can't do EAS (see my post above), here is at least an easy way to keep your contact list trimmed (methinks I'm going to put some google apps API code in a cron job when I get home tonight):

Solution: how to tell which contacts in ALL CONTACTS are not in MY CONTACTS - Gmail Help
    My Google e-mail address contains a "." right in the middle of it (and it has worked for years) so this can't be right!?

Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Another problem with this solution is that EAS links email account with contacts. I don't use gmail as my primary mail account, only forward to it so I can check at work where I'm not allowed to hit my own imap server. The problem is that if I delete the EAS email account, which I have no use for, the contacts account goes with it. With the gmail protocol, you can keep the contact sync, but remove gmail for email.
    It's not a solution, it's a work-around. The only solution can come from Palm. Read the thread from the Palm forums (if you want more info). I do hope Palm is working on adding the "My Contacts" functionality to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    My Google e-mail address contains a "." right in the middle of it (and it has worked for years) so this can't be right!?
    Has it been setup as an EAS account for years or the usual IMAP? I believe the difference is in the setup (IMAP vs EAS).
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    My brother has a period in the middle of his email, too. I wonder if sending him an email (without the period in his username) will still make it to him.
    webOS 1.3.1 now pulls contact information from My Contacts instead of All Contacts per the release notes.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    What I would like to know is if 1.3.1 fixed the reoccurring appointments problem that causes the pre to go offline and essentially be a brick.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre