Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Why would anyone want to sync with itunes? I do NOT understand that at all. I never synced with itunes and I HATE itunes. Can someone explain that? And how does the iphone have better media options? I've heard that too. And yes I've owned all 3 top of the line OS's now. Iphone G1 and Pre.
  2. #2  
    you hate iTunes and have never used its synch function. And so why are you asking all these questions??? Move on...
  3. #3  
    It's simple and readily available. I don't like itunes either but it's too simple to sync a playlist along with all of it's album art. One touch and you're done, not mention sync'ing video/movies just as easily.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #4  
    Achill3s is right. I listen to my music in playlist, not by albums or artist and while I too dislike the whole itunes set up, its still one of the easiest options for syncing playlist. I currently use Songbirds folder sync to get the songs from the playlist on the pre then use flylist in music(remix). But I can't deny the truth, its just simpler to do in itunes.
  5. #5  
    Is everyone here a Mac user? Windows Media Player already syncs playlists etc with the Pre by choosing USB rather than MediaSync. Is it because you just absolutely have to use MediaSync to feel you're doing it right?
  6. #6  
    This thread would make a great commercial for Apple; not so good for Palm.
  7. #7  
    i synced my pre to itunes when i got it. Put about 6 gigs of music on. now my pre no longer syncs to itunes. also when i do usb drive or media sync, and then go to my palm there are no music files anywhere, other than the ringtones. any ideas on how to remove all the music i have on here?
  8. #8  
    The music should be stored in the hidden ipod folder as a subfolder. You may need to change your viewing settings in Windows to allow you to see hidden files/folders. If you no longer plan to use iTunes you can delete the entire ipod folder.
  9. psvillars's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #9  
    I, like a few others like how it just organizes everything for you and being able to plug your phone in and have the software do everything for you is just nice. At some point we will probably lose that function entirely at least a direct sync with itunes, at that point maybe a 3rd party program like what blackberry has done with it's media sync would be just as nice. But if not then which ever version is the last to work with this phone will be the last i download lmao
  10. #10  
    Some folks seem too quick to dismiss the key factors: market share, and convenience. The iPod has been the market leader in digital media players for years, and iTunes as such has built up a significant market share. People who have been buying music from the iTunes store for all those years are unlikely to switch without a significant benefit.

    And like it or not, the iTunes store process flow from purchase to distribution to loading onto your iPod/iPhone is convenient - it all just works. Sure, you can jump through hoops (see the posts above about bypassing media sync or using Flylist) but why bother? Sometimes "good enough" really is good enough.
  11. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #11  
    rare should also note my solution pertains to Macs. The reason I am so staunchly against itunes is on the pre it puts music in some hidden folder and puts the artwork in a seperate folder and not with the music. Thus, Apple is saying in very plan terms that if you've used Itunes in the past we will make it a headache for you to use a non-apple product for your Music, so you might as well just buy an Apple product (it just works). I'm uncomfortable with this kind of influence so after using itunes for nearly six years I have decided to move on.
  12. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    rare should also note my solution pertains to Macs. The reason I am so staunchly against itunes is on the pre it puts music in some hidden folder and puts the artwork in a seperate folder and not with the music. Thus, Apple is saying in very plan terms that if you've used Itunes in the past we will make it a headache for you to use a non-apple product for your Music, so you might as well just buy an Apple product (it just works). I'm uncomfortable with this kind of influence so after using itunes for nearly six years I have decided to move on.


    Not to pick on you specifically, but this is an example of how screwed up things get with the whole iTunes sync. We have people here defending Palm's hack, saying it's OK to masquerade the Pre as an iPod to use iTunes sync, but then also have people complaining when that hack results in the iPod file structure on their Pre. You can't have your cake and eat it too in this case.

    The iPod file system structure is meant to store/catalog music on an iPod in a way that is compact. It's strictly there for iPod access. It's not meant for a Pre owner to have a nice readable/browsable file structure on their device. So I don't think it's fair to complain about this. If you want to masquerade as an iPod, you end up with the iPod file structure. It's that simple. Nobody is making you or Palm do that.

    On your computer, the iTunes Music library is organized in a readable/browsable structure, and is accompanied by a plain text XML catalog file that can be used by any app to access the entire library. To me, this is evidence that Apple wanted to keep the library format open and readable on the computer, whether or not you even have the iTunes app installed anymore. If you or Palm want that same nice format on the Pre, you're welcome to read the XML catalog file and use that to transfer music over to the device.
  13. mikekey's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #13  
    To be honest, I could only get my Palm to show up in itunes about 40% of the time anyways. I'd plug it in over and over and it would never show up. I haven't upgraded my itunes yet, and last week it sync'd with my pre finally and today, I've plugged this thing in 5 times and it still won't show up.
  14. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #14  
    @S219
    Why would you be picking on me? I made a choice to go with itunes in the past. I made the choice to buy an apple computer. I knew before the Pre's launch that itunes sync would be a hack. I still made the choice to buy a pre. I have no problem accepting the results of my decisions. I also have no problem in finding my own way to proceed forward. My choice. So if that means my next computer is not an Apple so be it. Vote with your money.

    I'm not complaining. I'm simply stating the fact that apple's system of music management was NOT just a matter of making its files compact, but also a matter of locking customers in for the long term. If that's ok with you, so be it, but you are fooling yourself if you don't admit to that aspect of their motive. I can't fault them for acting in a way that represents the best interest of their company, however the Pre has made me recognize that Apple's interest are no longer mine.
  15. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    'm not complaining. I'm simply stating the fact that apple's system of music management was NOT just a matter of making its files compact, but also a matter of locking customers in for the long term. If that's ok with you, so be it, but you are fooling yourself if you don't admit to that aspect of their motive. I can't fault them for acting in a way that represents the best interest of their company, however the Pre has made me recognize that Apple's interest are no longer mine.
    How are they locking you in? I don't see how that is the case at all. The file system structure they put on the iPod is only intended to allow the device itself to browse and access the music by using their binary catalog file. It's not meant for people to look at or to serve as a USB drive. But regardless, it does not lock anyone into anything. iTunes music is intended to be managed on the computer where it *does* have an open and readable catalog format that allows access from any person or app.

    If Apple wanted to lock you in, they would not make the iTunes music catalog on your computer so open or accessible.
  16.    #16  
    You guys dont make any sense. All my music is in my MUSIC folder on my PC. You know what I did to put it on my pre? I dropped that whole folder on my Pre. WOW thats something Itunes took a lot longer to do. I really dont understand it. I HATED having to start up and sync itunes everytime I needed to use my iphone. I just wanted one song I'd have to sync it up let it do its thing for like 3 minutes and then I'd have my song. Thats dumb as ****. I never willingly used itunes and I never will and dont understand why anyone would. My songs are all in my music folder no where else. Same with my videos too.
  17. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    How are they locking you in? I don't see how that is the case at all. The file system structure they put on the iPod is only intended to allow the device itself to browse and access the music by using their binary catalog file. It's not meant for people to look at or to serve as a USB drive. But regardless, it does not lock anyone into anything. iTunes music is intended to be managed on the computer where it *does* have an open and readable catalog format that allows access from any person or app.

    If Apple wanted to lock you in, they would not make the iTunes music catalog on your computer so open or accessible.
    I respect your opinion, but we will not see this the same way. It was interesting to hear your perspective though.
  18.    #18  
    I still dont understand how its more convenient though. It takes longer and it has to sync if you just want to do one song.
  19. jacr91's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #19  
    Just download double twist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! N **** itunes and all apples products!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
  20. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    You guys dont make any sense. All my music is in my MUSIC folder on my PC. You know what I did to put it on my pre? I dropped that whole folder on my Pre. WOW thats something Itunes took a lot longer to do. I really dont understand it. I HATED having to start up and sync itunes everytime I needed to use my iphone. I just wanted one song I'd have to sync it up let it do its thing for like 3 minutes and then I'd have my song. Thats dumb as ****. I never willingly used itunes and I never will and dont understand why anyone would. My songs are all in my music folder no where else. Same with my videos too.
    You can fine tune the syncs options to avoid this issue if you want. Sounds like you had a blanket sync turned on, which is probably the default.

Posting Permissions