Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm Pre Outlook Sync Solution - PocketMirror Standard by Chapura

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can now sync all my notes to my Pre.

Enjoy!
    Have they indicated when they will sync Task? Once that's done, all of the PIMs will be taken care of.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yes! their website has a preview of what the Tasks sync app will look like (will not be the default WebOS app).
    Quote Originally Posted by apron View Post
    Yes! their website has a preview of what the Tasks sync app will look like (will not be the default WebOS app).
    Tks, I'll check it out.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by apron View Post
    Tks, I'll check it out.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    What do you think of the new Pocket Notes apps? How many lists can you see at one time? Does the scroll have the momentum feature?
    Not many users of this product?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    Not many users of this product?
    OK guy's, help me out here.

How reliable is this method of syncing ?

Currently I use Outlook Express for my emails, and Palm Desktop for all my PIM's.

I'm struggling to find a way to sync between PD and my Pre. CompanionLink USB was looking good, but it does not play well at the 2-way sync game.

I've always held off Outlook, even though it's bunded in with my Office package, as historically OE and PD worked ok for me.

So 3 questions.

1) Are you REALLY happy with PocketMirror for 2 way syncs.
    2) Is it easy for me to transfer my data from Palm Desktop to Outlook.
    3) Will I find Outlook an easy replacement for my OE & PD.

PS I'm still using my Treo680 to 'maintain' a safe backup, and I good at tinkering with software setup
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Another question for you, as I'm on a roll

Within PalmDeskTop I have my Contacts set up with Categories, friends/family/work etc.

When I transfer these over to my Pre, the Categories are not used. I almost need to use the Company box as a way to group Contacts together.

Does PocketMirror carry over Categories into the Pre at all ?
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    3) Will I find Outlook an easy replacement for my OE & PD.
    ChasT,

I waited years before moving from OE and PD to Outlook. Once I went to Outlook I was sorry I didn't do it sooner.

Having all the PIMs and emails on one screen is great. If fact, syncing directly to Outlook is the main reason I haven't embraced the cloud and the Pre.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    @ChasT

Chapura's Echo is a different software package that is designed to sync between the Palm Desktop app and the Pre.

Link: Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre

It looks like Echo only syncs Calendar (Date Book) and Contacts (Address Book) at this time. It appears that udpates to sync Notes and Tasks are on their roadmap. For instance, they just added Notes syncing for PocketMirror in November. Quite frankly, Chapura is the only game in town for a complete PIM syncing package (once Tasks are added!) for the Pre.

You should send an e-mail to Chapura regarding your categories question.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    ChasT,

I waited years before moving from OE and PD to Outlook. Once I went to Outlook I was sorry I didn't do it sooner.
    Thanks, I'm seriously looking into it
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    @ChasT

Chapura's Echo is a different software package that is designed to sync between the Palm Desktop app and the Pre.
    Thanks, I had assumed that they would only be doing solutions for Outlook, not OE as well.

Tossing up between Echo or Pocket Mirror, see post above

Currently having to wait for Palm to update me from 1.1.3, so that I can then try the WiFi solution
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    OK guy's, help me out here.

How reliable is this method of syncing ?
    1) Are you REALLY happy with PocketMirror for 2 way syncs.
    Any answers on this one, as it's the important factor if I'm to change over to this method.
    Thought of the day :
    I'm a heavy Outlook user and very happy with PocketMirror and it's 2-way sync with Outlook for Calendar, Contacts and now even more so with their own Notes app.

Does it sync every field and all the categories? No. But I believe that is simply because of limitations with the Palm provided Calendar and Contacts apps. Chapura pretty much proved that with their version of Notes, which is a different app, not the Palm Memos app. It looks like they are doing the same for the Tasks which is coming soon.

Personally, I would prefer it if Chapura created a version of KeySuite for the Pre to replace the major Palm apps altogether like they did for the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    I'm a heavy Outlook user and very happy with PocketMirror and it's 2-way sync with Outlook for Calendar, Contacts and now even more so with their own Notes app.

Does it sync every field and all the categories? No. But I believe that is simply because of limitations with the Palm provided Calendar and Contacts apps. Chapura pretty much proved that with their version of Notes, which is a different app, not the Palm Memos app. It looks like they are doing the same for the Tasks which is coming soon.

Personally, I would prefer it if Chapura created a version of KeySuite for the Pre to replace the major Palm apps altogether like they did for the Treo.
    WoodWulf,
    Can you expand on PocketMiirror not syncing all fields? Which ones does it not sync? How about the note attached to contacts and calendar?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Well, the Pre Contacts app doesn't have all the fields Outlook does, and it doesn't even have categories yet. Without spending too much time on this, all the major fields sync:
    Name (First, Middle, Last, Prefix and Suffix)
    Job Title
    Company
    Multiple Phone numbers
    Multiple E-mail Addresses
    IM Address
    Multiple Addresses
    Web Page Address
    Birthday
    Spouse
    Nickname
    Notes

The Pre can't tag the phone numbers to the degree that Outlook can. Pre only allows Home, Work, Mobile, Fax and Other (2,3,4..). So it looks like Chapura had to come up with a mapping during sync.

Outlook Fields that do not appear to sync:
    Anniversary
    Manager's name
    Assistant's name
    Department
    Office
    Profession
    ...too many other to mention that most people probably don't use...

Pre fields that do not sync:
    Picture
    Children

I'll try to post later on the Calendar, but yes, the Calendar note syncs as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Well, the Pre Contacts app doesn't have all the fields Outlook does, and it doesn't even have categories yet. Without spending too much time on this, all the major fields sync:
    Name (First, Middle, Last, Prefix and Suffix)
    Job Title
    Company
    Multiple Phone numbers
    Multiple E-mail Addresses
    IM Address
    Multiple Addresses
    Web Page Address
    Birthday
    Spouse
    Nickname
    Notes

The Pre can't tag the phone numbers to the degree that Outlook can. Pre only allows Home, Work, Mobile, Fax and Other (2,3,4..). So it looks like Chapura had to come up with a mapping during sync.

Outlook Fields that do not appear to sync:
    Anniversary
    Manager's name
    Assistant's name
    Department
    Office
    Profession
    ...too many other to mention that most people probably don't use...

Pre fields that do not sync:
    Picture
    Children

I'll try to post later on the Calendar, but yes, the Calendar note syncs as well...
    WoodWulf

Tks for all of the details.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I just started using PocketMirror, and I'm thrilled to have all my notes back on board and in sync with Outlook, and easily accessible for reference.

However...
    The biggest disappointment is that for creating and editing notes, it is basically unusable. The problem is that for when you use the WebOS "trackball" mode for moving the cursor, it jumps around so much that it is impossible. (By "trackball" I mean holding down either "orange" or shift and touching the screen to move the cursor or select text.) It starts going the way you move, but then suddenly jumps to a different part of the screen.

So for now, I'm back to using WebOS memos to create and edit notes, but using select all/copy/paste to update them in PocketMirror.

I opened a support issue on Chapura's web site.

I'm a little disappointed that Chapura doesn't have a dedicated forum here in Precentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    ChasT,

Having all the PIMs and emails on one screen is great. If fact, syncing directly to Outlook is the main reason I haven't embraced the cloud and the Pre.

Good Luck
    Done it now.

Wish I had done it years ago too
    Thought of the day :
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast