Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    I had a Samsung Alias. Old school QWERTY CDMA phone. My contacts in that phone have phone numbers.

I also have a Gmail account that I use religiously. My contacts in Gmail have email addresses.

I also have a Yahoo account, an MSN Messenger account, an AIM account, and people sometimes like to talk to me through Google Talk.

I also probably have addresses somewhere...

Let's not even take into consideration my Exchange server stuff at work...

Now, Synergy is supposed to group them all together into one contacts list so that I only have one list, right? I think this sounds good on paper, but how is this not going to get completely bloated and require a lot of effort to clean up? For example, I now have about 200 email address "contacts" in my Palm Pre because we once-upon-a-time sent an email or two to each other.

Take the following example: I have a friend named "Bill." My contact info for Bill across the various areas all have different names and would look like this:

Phone:
    Bill's Cell - 800 555 1212

Gmail:
    Bill Smith - bill@bill.com

AIM:
    Bill - billsmith

Address:
    123 Main St
    Los Angeles, CA 90048

...Isn't this really just going to create 3 contacts for the same person until I take the time to clean up all of the data? Where would I do this? Should I just go to my Contacts in Gmail and work through all of this?
    Last edited by etnpnys; 10/21/2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    If there isn't anything common amongst the 3 entries for bill, then yes it will show separate entries.

But, you can link those 3 entries together so it shows one entry for bill with all of the information from the 3 entries.

The more work you put in ahead of time to make sure that your different contact directories all have the contact name the same all around, the less 'cleanup' work you'll have to do later by linking profiles together on your Pre because your Pre will see those 3 entries with the name of "Bill Smith" and link them together automatically. There will still be 3 entries, but that's ok. The Pre will know that all 3 belong as that one "Bill Smith"
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    How do I link them?

And is there a desktop way to do this or do I need to hunch over my Pre for a few hours?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    How do I link them?

And is there a desktop way to do this or do I need to hunch over my Pre for a few hours?
    I hunched over my pre for about 2 hrs cleaning up my contacts to one name...

on a side note (not to thread jack), but is there a way to delete AIM contacts in the contacts list, other than going to AIM and deleting? Because, when I synced my gmail to my pre, it brought over everything...AIM, emails, etc... now when i look at my contact list, it's obsurdly long. i have aim contacts in my contacts list when trying to find a person to call...anyway to just show contacts with phone number when about to call someone?
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    First of all, I figured out how to link them. Second of all...

Quote Originally Posted by shinto View Post
    ...when I synced my gmail to my pre, it brought over everything...AIM, emails, etc... now when i look at my contact list, it's obsurdly long.
    That's exactly my point! It's like every contact that I've ever said "Hi" to now shows up in my contacts list.

...And I like your idea about only showing contacts with phone numbers when you're trying to make a call... That would widdle my enormous list down to a manageable size even if I don't re-work it.
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    bring up the phone dialer, open the keyboard, and type the first couple of letters from a name, or the innitials of a name, and bingo you've got a short list of phone numbers that match what you typed.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    You don't even need to bring up the dialer. Just type in card view.