1.    #1  
    my university uses hotmail basically but it has its own domain. @knights.ucf.edu

the pre wont automatically sync with it but my instinct did. is there any way i can get this to work? its really important. so that i can keep up with professors.
    You may be able to configure gmail to grab your school mail. Then use gmail on your Pre. I use gmail to aggregate a half dozen email accounts. (This assumes you can POP or IMAP your mail from outside the campus network.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    What kind of e-mail server is your school running?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    You may be able to configure gmail to grab your school mail. Then use gmail on your Pre. I use gmail to aggregate a half dozen email accounts. (This assumes you can POP or IMAP your mail from outside the campus network.)
    wouldnt it be easier with hotmail?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    What kind of e-mail server is your school running?
    it just got upgraded from some 1980's thing lol. Its basically IS windows live/hotmail. same look, same everything, you even go to msn.com to log in. Microsoft just customized the logo and set the domain aside for them. I figured it works exactly the same as hotmail considering my instinct could sync and push email.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    wouldnt it be easier with hotmail?

it just got upgraded from some 1980's thing lol. Its basically IS windows live/hotmail. same look, same everything, you even go to msn.com to log in. Microsoft just customized the logo and set the domain aside for them. I figured it works exactly the same as hotmail considering my instinct could sync and push email.
    then you should be able to add your school account as a POP. have you tryed to manually install your account? if you know your incoming and outgoing server info you should be good to go.
    can you login via outlook.com?

If so yes..
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    then you should be able to add your school account as a POP. have you tryed to manually install your account? if you know your incoming and outgoing server info you should be good to go.
    how do I find out what the servers areN
  8.    #8  
    ok for others who maybe in my situation using a windows live based email but it wont sync with the pre. I got it to sync by using the windows live incoming and outgoing servers in the manual. here is what you do.

1. enter the email address. The phone should have already kept it from the failed automatic attempt.
    2. make sure its set to "POP"
    3. For the incoming server enter "pop3.live.com"
    4. For the username use your email address in question
    5. For the password....use your password.
    6. Switch the incoming port to "995"
    7. use "SSL" encryption

For the outgoing server
    1. put "smtp.live.com" for the outgoing server
    2. leave the port at "25"

and you should be good to get your sync on like normal hotmail with the pre.
    I'm having issues with my Windows Live sync issues. I have tried all morning but I still can't get my Pre to connect to the POP. I'm using the following settings:

mail type - POP
    Incoming mail server - pop3.live.com
    username -
    password -
    encryption - SSL
    PORT # - 995

Outgoing mail server -smtp.live.com
    use authentication - on
    username -
    password -
    encryption - TLS
    port - 587 or 25 (I've tried both)

I keep getting an "Unable to Sign In: mailbox could not be opened" error. Anybody else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by e_vision View Post
    I'm having issues with my Windows Live sync issues. I have tried all morning but I still can't get my Pre to connect to the POP. I'm using the following settings:

mail type - POP
    Incoming mail server - pop3.live.com
    username -
    password -
    encryption - SSL
    PORT # - 995

Outgoing mail server -smtp.live.com
    use authentication - on
    username -
    password -
    encryption - TLS
    port - 587 or 25 (I've tried both)

I keep getting an "Unable to Sign In: mailbox could not be opened" error. Anybody else having this problem?
    Windows live supports EAS, don't use POP servers, use:
    Incoming: m.outlook.com or outlook.com

If it asks for an outgoing then: login to your server from a computer and then look at the URL it could be something like
    Outgoing: pod1500 blah blah
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    My Pre "syncs" just fine with my school's email system. They, too, are using Windows Live/Hotmail. Through the email app, I added a new account, inserted my email address and password. It automatically started setting up a Pop account. I told it to duplicate deletes, and to check every 30 min. Of course, contacts and calendars do not sync.

FYI, Hotmail DOES NOT have Activesync support. However, this will change soon.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    THANK YOU! i've been looking all over the web and I should've known that my answer would've come from precentral.. thanks MLJones8.. for anyone who has a University/College email through livemail.. (my email address is xxxxx@live.longwood.edu) MLJones8 has the exact setup you need. Just to note: my setup didn't ask me for an outgoing server, which surprised me. Thanks again