Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    I just upgraded to webOS 1.2.1 this morning and realized the PIN was still enforced!

    I tried removing the acct, restarting, taking batt out, and then adding it again and it said I still needed to set a pin.

    I'm concerned to go to my IT people and ask them to make the adjustments Palm suggested just for little ole me. I work for a very well known news org and they employ a TON of people and most of them use blackberries. I'm probably one of VERY few who use the Pre and don't want them thinking I'm trying to be shady by asking them for all this crap when it should be as easy as it was BEFORE 1.2.1 and 1.2.

    I have been debating on downgrading, but do not know how to do it, can anyone help me out??
  2. #2  
    Um. So yeah that is set on the server side and has nothing to do with the phone. 1.2 added support for this policy in order to cater to business use. Some businesses do not allow 'non-provisional phones' at all which would mean that the Pre because it did not support this function wouldn't have worked at all prior. This was not one of the problems that folks were having 1.2 it is most certainly by design. If your company requires a PIN then you have to use one. The only way they can change this would be to change their company activesync policy or make a different one for you specifically which unless you've got an in with the IT folks I doubt they would do. It's a very good idea to use a PIN on any phone IMHO. Not sure why it is such a big deal for people.
  3. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #3  
    I use Timepiece to keep my Pre from falling asleep on the touchstone or while in the car. You can just run this app in the background and it will stay alive so long as it is open. So long as it doesn't go to sleep it won't force you to enter the PIN. Just don't do this much while on the battery, as it will drain faster than normal.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  4. #4  
    It's definitely a server setting and has nothing to do with your phone. By default at my company, I disable all activesync's connections unless approved which is very few since our company uses blackberries which use the BES.
  5. #5  
    I have got to be the only one who can't post a linkback link in this forum, it always adds a URL to the URL Anyway, look a few posts down, to the thread titled "Exchange email / disable PIN requirement" and your solution is there.
  6.    #6  
    Will do, THANKS!....
  7. TJude's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBrknSystm View Post
    Not sure why it is such a big deal for people.
    Because it's a PITA. If I'm on the phone and referring to the pre every once in a while, I'm CONSTANTLY typing in the pin - wasting time. I get the value of the PIN, but every time my screen blanks??? This is highly inappropriate. I get setting the pin once a day, after 20 minutes or so, after every mail check, or after some sensible time, but the way they do it is counter productive.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJude View Post
    Because it's a PITA. If I'm on the phone and referring to the pre every once in a while, I'm CONSTANTLY typing in the pin - wasting time. I get the value of the PIN, but every time my screen blanks??? This is highly inappropriate. I get setting the pin once a day, after 20 minutes or so, after every mail check, or after some sensible time, but the way they do it is counter productive.
    From what I've seen, the Pre doesn't fully support the EAS server policies. There is a policy on exchange servers to say "Require PIN every xx Minutes" I'm an exchange admin, and this policy works fine on iPhones and other devices that fully support it. However, there is no option for a "grace period" on the Pre once you sleep your phone.

    I personally feel 20 minutes is a good compromise between security and usability. If only Palm would put in a setting called "Require pin after..."
  9. murmler's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    From what I've seen, the Pre doesn't fully support the EAS server policies. There is a policy on exchange servers to say "Require PIN every xx Minutes" I'm an exchange admin, and this policy works fine on iPhones and other devices that fully support it. However, there is no option for a "grace period" on the Pre once you sleep your phone.

    I personally feel 20 minutes is a good compromise between security and usability. If only Palm would put in a setting called "Require pin after..."
    Right. WebOS in this Version uses only a small part of EAS capabilities. Inactivity Timeout (explained above), length of PIN, lack of Push Synchronisation for subfolders, no Certificate Based authentication (?), no invitations for meetings and so on.

    Hopefully Palm will close these issues soon in one of the next versions of WebOS. At present, the Pre, for professional use, is no alternative to Win Mobile Handhelds nor even the iPhone.
  10. #10  
    I have a suggestion. Try to refrain from ever using that alluring capslock key. And maybe stick to just one punctuation mark at a time.
  11. yasuro's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by murmler View Post
    Right. WebOS in this Version uses only a small part of EAS capabilities. Inactivity Timeout (explained above), length of PIN, lack of Push Synchronisation for subfolders, no Certificate Based authentication (?), no invitations for meetings and so on.

    Hopefully Palm will close these issues soon in one of the next versions of WebOS. At present, the Pre, for professional use, is no alternative to Win Mobile Handhelds nor even the iPhone.
    what do you mean, "no invitations for meetings"? do you mean you can't initiate an invitation when creating a meeting in the pre?
  12. yasuro's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #12  
    also doesn't this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ate-issue.html

    imply that certificates are supported in webOS 1.2.1?
  13. #13  
    Before i believe 1.2 an SSL certificate was required for EAS on the Pre. They made it less secure by not requiring one, but more accessible to people who don't want to shell out the money for an SSL cert.

    The post you referenced was on how to install a self signed certificate. A self signed certificate is one that you generate locally, and does not come from a 3rd party trusted source like verisign.
  14. murmler's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by yasuro View Post
    what do you mean, "no invitations for meetings"? do you mean you can't initiate an invitation when creating a meeting in the pre?
    Yes, exactly. Excuse my poor english, i'm from germany and unfortunately have far too less practice ;-)
  15. yasuro's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    Before i believe 1.2 an SSL certificate was required for EAS on the Pre. They made it less secure by not requiring one, but more accessible to people who don't want to shell out the money for an SSL cert.

    The post you referenced was on how to install a self signed certificate. A self signed certificate is one that you generate locally, and does not come from a 3rd party trusted source like verisign.
    public cert or not is immaterial as they must be installed for EAS to work either way. my work uses a self-signed cert and it had to be installed to work.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by yasuro View Post
    public cert or not is immaterial as they must be installed for EAS to work either way. my work uses a self-signed cert and it had to be installed to work.
    If you have a self signed cert, you must copy it to your pre and install it.

    If you have a 3rd party trusted cert, you do not have to copy it to your pre and install it. Perhaps it's better to say you do not need to take the extra step of copying your certificate to your pre in USB mode.

    Certificates have been supported since day one.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by murmler View Post
    Right. WebOS in this Version uses only a small part of EAS capabilities. Inactivity Timeout (explained above), length of PIN, lack of Push Synchronisation for subfolders, no Certificate Based authentication (?), no invitations for meetings and so on.

    Hopefully Palm will close these issues soon in one of the next versions of WebOS. At present, the Pre, for professional use, is no alternative to Win Mobile Handhelds nor even the iPhone.
    Yeah - really need the timeout options. Way too much typing in PIN right now each time the screen blacks. (Have to have it black out to save battery)
  18. AMR-1's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #18  
    Patch has been added to webos-patch feed.

    BypassPINLock

Posting Permissions