1.    #1  
    I have a palm pre. I desperately want it to work with my exchange server the way my blackberry did. The trouble is my IT department says it only supports it's devices. I am dubious about this because my bb was not their device and I was able to get it to work just fine. Does anyone know ways around the IT? Where I can get the neccesary information to get my palm working with eas? Right now I am having all my email forwarded to my gmail account where I lose a lot of functionality and it looks funny when I reply from a gmail.

Things that may help:

I am able to log on and retrieve mail remotely from my browser.

I said things but that's all I got.

Thanks for the help!
    I am my IT department and right now I can't sync directly to my Pre, but have set up the forwarding to the GMail account. If you want to make it look like you're sending from your work account from Gmail, sign in to your account through the web interface, click on Settings, Accounts and Imports, and go to the Send Mail As area. Add your work email address and you will receive a verification email to your work account before it will let you send mail as that address. I'd also change the default address to be your work account and select the option to always reply from the default account.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Have you tried to add the account yet? We can't "go around" your IT, but if you are getting an error after setting up your account we can go from there.
    LOL, I hope neither of you work for the company I work for. That would be pretty much grounds for dismissal.

Think hard on this before doing it, know your company policy and rules about this stuff.

Having a job > having mail on your personal phone.
    I'm allowed to have email on my phone, they even give me an allowance to cover my data plan. I just happened to upgrade to a phone that isn't directly compatible yet with my system, and I got it approved as soon as I made the work around.
    Sweet. Must be nice. I have a locked down corporate crackberry which I never use......
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    click on Settings, Accounts and Imports, and go to the Send Mail As area. Add your work email address and you will receive a verification email to your work account before it will let you send mail as that address. I'd also change the default address to be your work account and select the option to always reply from the default account.
    I did this and did a couple test runs to another gmail account and keeps coming from my gmail, not work address.
    Quote Originally Posted by naropa8 View Post
    I did this and did a couple test runs to another gmail account and keeps coming from my gmail, not work address.
    OK, I apologize, this appears to partially work but I can't tell you with 100% certainty when it will work. I've been using this method to send to several of my colleagues, and their reply has gone back to my work account, and then forwarded to the Pre. I've tried sending test messages back to my work account, which if I reply from my inbox will try to reply back to my gmail account. I have also sent to several of my other "dummy" email accounts which will receive the message as ""Joe Smith" <gmail address>" but do work correctly with the reply and reply back to the corporate account.

I wonder if it has something to do with the email server platform and support for a Reply-to header. I'll check in to this and post anything worth while. I do know that I've had replies from coworkers commenting about how I had the Sent from Pre signature, so it was working at one point.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    you have really provided no info at all other than you had a blackberry syncing ( which specify's that your company has a bes server) but no info about what kind of mail server your company may have.
    All that the blackbery enterprise server does is act as a middle man between your device and your mail server and is as easy to set up for the end user as entering a password.

If your company is using exchange (most likely you have outlook as your pc mail client) then you could set it up as an exchange account in your pre, using your domain login credentials(the stuff you log into windows network with) for the account.

If that it policy requires mobile devices to have a pin to unlock the screen , you will not be able to sync correctly until you enable that on your pre regardless of if you have the correct setup or not.

If you use lotus notes or something like that for email, it will get a bit different, but still do-able.
  10.    #10  
    Here is a link that explains how to do this. To the IT guys out there.....stop being so ITish about everything!

Redirect emails from Outlook to Gmail or Hotmail
    Quote Originally Posted by naropa8 View Post
    To the IT guys out there.....stop being so ITish about everything!
    Speaking as an IT guy who, among other things, maintains an e-mail system, 99.9% of the time we don't set company policy. In fact, we generally have very little to do with setting company policy. What we do get to do is to enforce the policy that others set. Unfortunately that also means that we get blamed for whatever the policy is simply because we're closest to the people that are affected by the policies. The point being, the next time you ask for something from your IT department and you get denied or you get something other than what you were asking for, please thank whomever you're talking to for the rather arduous job they have. It's no fun having to deliver bad news and enforcing policies that you know the users aren't going to like. It's also no fun having to repair and rebuild everything, working days on end without a break, because someone used a non-approved device on the company network.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Speaking as an IT guy who, among other things, maintains an e-mail system, 99.9% of the time we don't set company policy. In fact, we generally have very little to do with setting company policy. What we do get to do is to enforce the policy that others set. Unfortunately that also means that we get blamed for whatever the policy is simply because we're closest to the people that are affected by the policies.
    Ditto what trodecke said, with an added point that certain businesses in the USA are regulated by silly federal laws like Sarb-Ox where the decision isn't even made at the company level in most cases. Even something as simple as turning on the feature to automatically save all sent e-mails opens up a whole can of worms with the lawyers, and trust me your employment future will not be very bright if you cause the compliance violation when the policy is in place.

As a senior IT person with 25 years in the field, I find myself repeating the following quite often. Knowing what button to push or command to type is 1% of an IT person's job. Knowing *why* they should/shouldn't do it is the other 99%.....
    Don't fwd your e-mails to GMAIL... import them... go to mail.google.com click settings (top right) click the Accounts and Import tab then setup your work e-mail as an account Gmail Checks via the "add pop3 e-mail account" button. After that is setup click the "send mail from another address" button. Once that is setup, when you compose mail there is an option to click which address it comes from. Alternatively you can set your work as default address to e-mail from.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I convinced one of our IT guy's to buy Pre, now magically my org supports email/exchange with Pre. He is the greatest.
    If your company's exchange server isn't set up to use EAS, your are hosed. You can use OWA on your phone's browser, but that's about it.

You can't work around corporate policy if the services aren't running.
    It was nice how Chatteremail on PalmOS could access your emails just like over EAS by using some trick with OWA. Since Palm bought the software, I wish they would incorporate that functionality.
    Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 700p, Treo 755, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    EAS will only work on your Palm if your company is running Exchange 2003 or later on their domain. We just upgraded from 2000 to 2003, which allows us to use OWA. We used my PalmPre to test this using the OWA address as the incoming mail server (https://mail.mycompany.org).
    Our company is now talking about using NotifyLink so they can ditch the BB server and allow more phones to sync email and calendars. I work in IT at a hospital and all the Doctors use (personal) iPhones so I suspect that is what is driving this decision.
    I'm in IT at a law firm. The key is to find out if the allow iPhones or Windows Mobile devices in as well as Blackberries. If so, simply ask them for instructions for connecting those devices, and adapt them.

If they don't allow anything but BBs, you're likely hosed. Find out, though, if it is a matter of laziness (not wanting to setup the service) or a conscious decision by someone. Enlist your iPhone-toting coworkers to campaign with you, as the IT effort is the same for both.
    If you cannot access using EAS, then try IMAP. You won't get calendars or to-do's but the email sync will work pretty much the same.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!