Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Pretending iTunes is out of the picture for syncing. Considering its support is unreliable at this point.

This is a big one for me. I'd like to replace my iPod nano with the Pre. What is the best method for syncing music playlists and podcasts? Is it a convoluted multi-step method I'm never going to take the time to do, or is it as easy as putting my nano in the dock every night and having everything sync automatically?

Currently on my Centro I have some music I haven't change in a year. Because it's just too much of a pain compared to my ipod and it doesn't support podcasts easily.

I'm using windows, possibly a mac.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Doubletwist works for me. Also, download Music (remix). It's way better than Palms failed attempt at a music player.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm not sure I really understand how doubletwist works. Is it a player itself like iTunes? Does it grab your itunes playlists? What about your subscribed podcasts on itunes?

Is it a multi-step process or can I just plug the pre in and have it pop up and start syncing?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand how doubletwist works. Is it a player itself like iTunes? Does it grab your itunes playlists? What about your subscribed podcasts on itunes?

Is it a multi-step process or can I just plug the pre in and have it pop up and start syncing?
    It is a player. Check out this link: Table of Contents - FAQ - doubleTwist Community

Also, lots of good info here: doubleTwist Community

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    Doubletwist works for me. Also, download Music (remix). It's way better than Palms failed attempt at a music player.
    Well, you can not use DoubleTwist if album art is important to you. I downloaded and installed, synced a playlist or two to my Pre and guess what? No album art. Admin says they are having issues with album art and that the next update of Doubletwist will not fix it. Yikes. That's important to me. I had to use Salling Sync, which was just fine. A little slow on the sync, but it is important to me to be able to synciTunes playlists and this does it. Stay away from DoubleTwist if you like your album art to appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    Pretending iTunes is out of the picture for syncing. Considering its support is unreliable at this point.

This is a big one for me. I'd like to replace my iPod nano with the Pre. What is the best method for syncing music playlists and podcasts? Is it a convoluted multi-step method I'm never going to take the time to do, or is it as easy as putting my nano in the dock every night and having everything sync automatically?

Currently on my Centro I have some music I haven't change in a year. Because it's just too much of a pain compared to my ipod and it doesn't support podcasts easily.

I'm using windows, possibly a mac.
    Just use an older version of itunes. 8.2.x
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Drag and drop in USB mode is super simple.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    J River Media Center or Jukebox is very easy and will do everything you require.
    Does anybody know of anything for the Pre that would let me connect to a serve on my home network and sync music?

I guess it doesn't have to be for music, specifically. Just thinking that it might be nice to have the ability to sync against even the contents of a specific network path. It would be great to have an app that does this from the Pre, on demand, over WiFi.
    Well, "easiest" is in the eye of the user ... and also depends on what desktop you're using. There's already a lot of threads devoted to this, so a little searching might give some more opinions.

I've tried Itunes (very bloated and slow on my PC), DoubleTwist (seemed confusing and dependent in iTunes, but just my opinion), and SongBird (also slow IMO).

I've just switched to J. Rivers Media Jukebox, and that seems lightning fast and pretty easy to me. I've removed iTunes from my PC and don't intend to load it again (even if Palm "fixes" the sync again).
    I use Allway sync to automatically transfer pictures and music to my Pre. It seems to work well for backup also.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVA_Guy View Post
    Does anybody know of anything for the Pre that would let me connect to a serve on my home network and sync music?

I guess it doesn't have to be for music, specifically. Just thinking that it might be nice to have the ability to sync against even the contents of a specific network path. It would be great to have an app that does this from the Pre, on demand, over WiFi.
    Amen brother ... I would *love* to never plug in that USB cable again. But there's nothing at the moment that does media sync over the network ... although you apparently can hack an FTP connection if you're brave enough and have the time.

I believe The Missing Sync does contacts and calendar over WiFi, but media requires a USB connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork27 View Post
    I quickly lost interest in using iTunes and just use USB as well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    The missing sync claims to transfer music and videos among other things. I have not tried it but just saw those options.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I personally like Windows Media Player. It's the easiest way I have found to drag songs from my library to my Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA_Guy View Post

Before the Pre was even released, I thought this was something Palm would do. The way Roger McNamee was talking, I thought the Pre would sense it was on the touchstone and automagically sync photos, songs, videos, maps, etc. that you configured through the cloud.

I'm sure it's possible for someone with a lot of programming experience. It could work like Windows Live Sync or Mesh, where you select files on one or more PCs to sync to the Pre, and a program on the Pre would connect to the service to find the path to each file and sync it when idle or on the touchstone. That way you could use any Web browser to sign into the service and add/remove files for the next sync.

IMO, this would be a killer app for Palm to provide and would really use the power of the cloud.
    What folder do you drop the files into? I used to do it this way on my old phone, but have forgotten as I didn't do it much.

I think it'd be cool if we could sink via bluetooth instead of USB.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I use Songbird. Its a cool music player, just a little quirky. However media sync has been a mixed bag for me. Initially I used itunes but even when it worked it never brought the artwork. I tried Salling and Missing Sync but they never worked consistently, they had this terrible habit of just quitting in the middle of the sync process and would only sync half the songs or randomly remove songs. It might be because I use a mac, but the only way I could sync consistently without drag and drop is through Songbird. All I can say is good luck, a lot of "average" solutions out there you'll just need to find one that works for you.
    Missing Sync works, but in my experience has trouble with songlists that contain DRM'd songs. They say they're working on a fix, but I've gone back to iTunes 8.21 so I don't know if they've done it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork27 View Post
    Yes this way is simple but no album art. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast