1.    #1  
    I use Enterprise Exchange with required PIN every 15 mins. I have seen some reports that after the 1.2 update sync gets broken. Is this true for everyone, or only for people using their own servers or some unusual arrangement for Exchange? I'm going to hold up updating the OS as long as I can until this gets fixed. At what point will the phone automatically update itself?
    EAS is still working just fine for me post 1.2
    mine broke
    Mine works fine still. Only thing new is I have to enter the 4 digit pin (more related to our server side i suppose).
    Having to enter a pin is not a bug in sync/EAS... It's doing exactly what your Exchange Administrator has setup and intended
    I have no problem with mine since the upgrade. I'm using EAS with a strict policy before and still. And anyone who has a smartphone WITHOUT a pin is a dumbperson using a smartphone. Protect your stuff! These people are the first to ***** that they lost their phone or got it stolen and wonder if anyone can read there stuff. If I was in your contacts lists and you weren't protecting your phone, I'd be pretty ****ed. I don't need strangers getting my home address and phone number just becuase you are too lazy to punch in a PIN when you use your phone.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Before 1.2, PIN was not being enforced on my phone. Now (after 1.2) it is. I agree with PIN enforcement, but believe it is still a little broken on the Pre.

The only problem I have with PIN is the fact that I can not find a way to set the amount of time of inactivity to enforce PIN. On my BB, my WinMo phone, iPod Touch, and laptop, I can set all to an hour of inactivity before they will enforce the PIN. On the Pre, as soon as the screen turns off, you need to enter a PIN to use the phone again. This really needs to be fixed.
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    I had a pin with 1.1 and 1.2. As a previous poster said, the timeout function has never worked. I have to enter my pin every time I wake up the phone. With WinMo, I had an hour before I had to enter it again.

Please fix this Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpohl View Post
    Before 1.2, PIN was not being enforced on my phone. Now (after 1.2) it is. I agree with PIN enforcement, but believe it is still a little broken on the Pre.

The only problem I have with PIN is the fact that I can not find a way to set the amount of time of inactivity to enforce PIN. On my BB, my WinMo phone, iPod Touch, and laptop, I can set all to an hour of inactivity before they will enforce the PIN. On the Pre, as soon as the screen turns off, you need to enter a PIN to use the phone again. This really needs to be fixed.
    It is setup in EAS policy in Exchange, not the phone... If the policy is set to enforce the pin after the screen goes inactive, then set your inactive time out higher

Attached Images Attached Images
    I had to delete my Exchange account from my phone ... entering a PIN every time the screen goes off is a little too much for me to handle right now. I was already annoyed with pressing the top button and then swiping up on the screen, now I have to enter a PIN? I know the PIN isn't Palm's fault, doesn't make it any less annoying. Maybe a homebrew will come out to take people like me back to the old 1.1 way.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Maybe a homebrew will come out to take people like me back to the old 1.1 way.
    highly unlikely as the EAS enforcement is built into the email core

instead of whining like a baby on the forums, how about you ask your IT department to change/alter the policy or create a different one for you

As an IT admin I would be much more impressed by an employee that came to me and explained the situation v.s. a back-handed one that attempts to subvert my policies and gives me just cause to disable EAS and remote wipe the phone
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have the same issue with enterng the pin every time the screen goes off and its annoying. All my other devices I set it to 15 mins of inactivity. I was hoping palm would fix this in the 1.2 update along with the notification LED
    You know, I *am* really concerned with impressing the IT admin, I may just take your suggestion and run with it ............ I've dealt with IT before. The minute they discover you're a programmer, they instantly get ****y and difficult to deal with because the ability to change settings is the only power they have over you I'm 99.99% sure they would not change my policy out of the thousands of employees we have.

Locking down an entire phone instead of locking down just the Exchange piece is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, but that is definitely typical of most Microsoft "solutions." No, I'll just keep Exchange off my phone, and any sort of work communication will have to wait until I get to a computer -- this phone wasn't bought for me by my company, having Exchange on it was a favor to them to help keep in contact with me.
    Locking down an entire phone instead of locking down just the Exchange piece is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, but that is definitely typical of most Microsoft "solutions."
    It's a decision each person needs to make. Do they want the convenience of having their e-mail/calendar/contacts on their phone and the inconvenience of the security side of things, or do they forgo the convenience of having the data at their fingertips because the inconvenience of the security is too much.

Just so you know though, just about any application that allows for corporate e-mail on a mobile device and enforces security (i.e. the PIN requirement), does it for the entire phone. It can get worse though. We used to use Goodlink with their Good Mobile Defense. Our senior management asked that we enforce a PIN not only for unlocking the phone but to enter any application that synced with our e-mail servers. The effect was that you'd have to enter your PIN to unlock the phone, enter it a second time to check your e-mail, a third time to check your calendar, etc, etc, etc. We did allow users to make phone calls while the phone was locked but since the lookup required access to the contacts app, for each letter you typed in, you were required to enter your PIN. So it's not just a Microsoft thing. It's a Microsoft/Blackberry/Goodlink/whatever sync software issue.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    EAS worked before 1.2 and after 1.2 install it stopped working.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    It's a decision each person needs to make. Do they want the convenience of having their e-mail/calendar/contacts on their phone and the inconvenience of the security side of things, or do they forgo the convenience of having the data at their fingertips because the inconvenience of the security is too much.
    Well, I wouldn't mind it so much if the time period was 30 minutes to an hour. And maybe our policy DOES allow for a longer time frame, and maybe the Pre isn't implementing it properly. The main thing I'll miss is the calendar -- I don't really call anyone from work on my phone, and most of my emails require a response that requires me to be in front of my computer, so that part won't be missed.

I may relent and give it a chance -- maybe it's something I can get used to. Doubt it, but it's worth a try.
    I am fortunate enough to work at a company that doesn't enforce a PIN policy, though they could change their minds some day. We run Exchange 2007, and I've experienced no problems with webOS 1.2.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You know, I *am* really concerned with impressing the IT admin, I may just take your suggestion and run with it ............ I've dealt with IT before. The minute they discover you're a programmer, they instantly get ****y and difficult to deal with because the ability to change settings is the only power they have over you I'm 99.99% sure they would not change my policy out of the thousands of employees we have.

Locking down an entire phone instead of locking down just the Exchange piece is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, but that is definitely typical of most Microsoft "solutions." No, I'll just keep Exchange off my phone, and any sort of work communication will have to wait until I get to a computer -- this phone wasn't bought for me by my company, having Exchange on it was a favor to them to help keep in contact with me.
    This is why we get ****y... most employees act like they are owed something and developers are no different...

Our #1 job is security and if taking people down a peg ensures I don't get my *** chewed out due to lax minded employees then so be it...

If your company needs to be in touch with you, they undoubtedly have your cell number and or home... Giving YOU access to exchange via EAS is the favor, not the other way around
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    If your company needs to be in touch with you, they undoubtedly have your cell number and or home... Giving YOU access to exchange via EAS is the favor, not the other way around
    Haha ummm ... no. When I step out of this building, my work day is over unless I'm contacted, which is via email 99% of the time. If I get a meeting request after 5pm, then it won't get accepted until I get in the next morning. Same thing goes for emails. Adding the ability to extend my job's reach outside of the building is a favor to THEM, I couldn't care less.

Now, my VPN access that allows me to work from home from time to time, that's a favor to me and I appreciate it. The ability for my work to follow me everywhere in my pocket? Not so much.
    Lock defeated

Bypass Lock Screen