1.    #1  
    Hey,

I didn't know where else to post this. Everytime I add my University E-mail account to the Pre (an @mail.usf.edu account), I get a message about auto sync failing, and I get an option to manually sync. I'm not too tech savvy, so I don't know how to go about manually syncing. If anybody could help me, that'd be great.

Sorry for the n00b question.
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffedMojo View Post
    Hey,

I didn't know where else to post this. Everytime I add my University E-mail account to the Pre (an @mail.usf.edu account), I get a message about auto sync failing, and I get an option to manually sync. I'm not too tech savvy, so I don't know how to go about manually syncing. If anybody could help me, that'd be great.

Sorry for the n00b question.

I mean this in the most helpful way possible. If that's all the more you know about email syncing, I would recommend that you start by talking to your school's IT department.

You'll need to know all sorts of things, like whether they have POP3, IMAP or Exchange mail, whether or not they even have support for any kind of external sync, server names, domains, all kinds of stuff.

If all that sounded like greek, save yourself some headache and just ask IT.
    You'll need to configure the account manually. Get the IT help desk on the phone, manually configure the account, and ask them for the information required by each field in the email account preferences card.

IMO, you want to use EAS if they support it (they won't), then IMAP, and finally POP3 as a last option. Any of these protocols will get the job done, but POP3 has more issues than the others when accessing the same account from multiple devices. That said, the Pre handles it well.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    USF is among the schools that have chosen to outsource their student e-mail services through Google Apps for Education. A quick trip to my search engine du jour turned up this USF page providing more info than you probably wanted to know about your school's e-mail system and setting up various clients:

Email Setup

With that said, I'm going to add that I'm the network admin at another college, and was evaluating Google Apps for .edu just last week to possibly outsource our own student e-mail into the cloud. If my counterpart at USF set up their Google Apps choosing the same options that I did, getting your Pre to sync up is actually rather simple!

1) Go into the CALENDAR app on your Pre. (Yes, I said calendar!)

2) Tap the word Calendar on the top left corner of the screen, then tap "Preferences & Accounts".

3) Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and then tap the "Add An Account" button.

4) Tap the "Google" button for your account type.

5) For your e-mail address, type in your USF e-mail address (id@mail.usf.edu) or whatever the format from the USF link above says.

6) Type in your USF password, and tap the "Sign In" button.

If your local Sprint data coverage isn't down like mine is right now (hence not being able to finish this in detail), you should be notified that your calendar is syncing.

If I recall correctly, the Pre automagically creates your Google mailbox in it's e-mail application, based on the calendar account setup. Just open up the mail app, and you'll see your USF Gmail mailbox without any input at all from you.

Of course, like I said, all bets are off if USF didn't set up their Google Apps site the same way that I did when I was testing it.....
  5.    #5  
    Wow, thank you so much! Looks like that worked.