Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Rolled back and my exchange is syncing! Thanks Insp Gadget! You just saved me hours (that I didn't have) of standing around a Sprint store today.
    Thanks Trim 81. My IT team made the 3 changes and everything works great now!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had the following correspondence with 1and1.com. I hope they finally assist us:

Well, if you have been following the forums for the last five days, you would know that none of the 1and1 users who have Palm Pres have proper connectivity. After a forced software update by Palm, we are all dead in the water with Exchange. Palm issued this fix for the server side, and I sent it to you.

All of your customers with Palm Pres are non-functional until you perform that fix I sent. Please reconsider. AppRiver (your competitor) has already done this fix, and all of their clients are now happy. Please make the 1and1 users happy as well.

Chris

Christopher S. Walker
    President
    Channel 5! LLC
    Office: 301.358.1973
    Fax: 877.702.5285
    cwalker@channel-5.biz

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 02 October, 2009 02:54
    To: Walker, Christopher
    Subject: C143425185 - 1&1 Internet Support Re: ustechnical;exchange

Dear Christopher Walker, (Customer ID: 10135949)

Thank you for contacting us.

We are grateful for the information you have provided. However please be
    informed that 1&1's scope of support with regard to Exchange account
    setup in mobile devices is only connectivity. As long as you have the
    correct connection settings, then everything should work. Thank you for
    your understanding.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
    Sincerely,
    June Zacarnette Hornido
    Technical Support
    1&1 Internet

> MailType=Form-Mail
    > MailTypeFlag=Begin
    > KundeID=10135949
    > VertragID=8202742
    > TopicPath=ustechnical;exchange
    > MailTypeFlag=End
    >
    > text=
    > By now, you have probably received hundreds of calls regarding hosted
    exchange with the Palm Pre. Please refer to this guide for IT admins to
    help us with our problem:
    > Palm Support : Unable to access Exchange account after updating webOS 1.2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxers View Post
    Rolled back and my exchange is syncing! Thanks Insp Gadget! You just saved me hours (that I didn't have) of standing around a Sprint store today.
    Thank the PreCentral community. There is power in numbers. I can't help but think that Palm would have never realized the gravity of the situation for us Exchange users if it were not for everyone here.
    What I don't get, is why are people using 3rd-party Exchange services? 1and1 or whatnot. Why pay (assuming it costs money,) for this, when you can just use Gmail, or your company's Exchange server?
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Simple. Years ago I got my own domain name, and thus my own email address. It has remained constant over the years, and I like to keep it. I switched mine to an exchange account when I wanted to sync calendar, contacts, and email (so when I switched phones I didn't have to deal with trying to copy information over.

So how do I keep my domain, with an exchange account...via a hosted account. Forwarding is not an option, since I prefer the e-mail to come from the address I've owned for years.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Dear Christopher Walker, (Customer ID: 10135949)

Thank you for contacting us.

Yes, we do understand that one. However, this is not an issue on our end bu ton the software the palm updated that makes the connectivity and requirements for the exchange to work on your mobile device. But in order to compensate with you being our client and make sure that you are well satisfied with the products we offer and make sure it would work on your end. We will going to forward your case to our administrators and see if they can be able to do the neccessary adjustments and fix to resolved your case. They will be the one to email you back with an update if this is possible of doing. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
    Sincerely,
    Aubrey Anne Aranez
    Technical Support
    1&1 Internet

> Well, if you have been following the forums for the last five days,
    you would know that none of the 1and1 users who have Palm Pres have proper connectivity. After a forced software update by Palm, we are all dead in the water with Exchange. Palm issued this fix for the server side, and I sent it to you.
    >
    > All of your customers with Palm Pres are non-functional until you
    perform that fix I sent. Please reconsider. AppRiver (your competitor) has already done this fix, and all of their clients are now happy.
    Please make the 1and1 users happy as well.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > Christopher S. Walker
    > President
    > Channel 5! LLC
    > Office: 301.358.1973
    > Fax: 877.702.5285
    > cwalker@channel-5.biz
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: support@1and1.com [mailto:support@1and1.com]
    > Sent: 02 October, 2009 02:54
    > To: Walker, Christopher
    > Subject: C143425185 - 1&1 Internet Support Re: ustechnical;exchange
    >
    > Dear Christopher Walker, (Customer ID: 10135949)
    >
    > Thank you for contacting us.
    >
    > We are grateful for the information you have provided. However please
    be
    > informed that 1&1's scope of support with regard to Exchange account
    > setup in mobile devices is only connectivity. As long as you have the
    > correct connection settings, then everything should work. Thank you
    for
    > your understanding.
    >
    > If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact
    us.
    >
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    > June Zacarnette Hornido
    > Technical Support
    > 1&1 Internet
    >
    > > MailType=Form-Mail
    > > MailTypeFlag=Begin
    > > KundeID=10135949
    > > VertragID=8202742
    > > TopicPath=ustechnical;exchange
    > > MailTypeFlag=End
    > >
    > > text=
    > > By now, you have probably received hundreds of calls regarding
    hosted
    > exchange with the Palm Pre. Please refer to this guide for IT admins
    to
    > help us with our problem:
    >Palm Support : Unable to access Exchange account after updating webOS 1.2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiSin View Post
    Simple. Years ago I got my own domain name, and thus my own email address. It has remained constant over the years, and I like to keep it. I switched mine to an exchange account when I wanted to sync calendar, contacts, and email (so when I switched phones I didn't have to deal with trying to copy information over.

So how do I keep my domain, with an exchange account...via a hosted account. Forwarding is not an option, since I prefer the e-mail to come from the address I've owned for years.
    Host it yourself
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    What I don't get, is why are people using 3rd-party Exchange services? 1and1 or whatnot. Why pay (assuming it costs money,) for this, when you can just use Gmail, or your company's Exchange server?
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiSin View Post

Indeed, I'm in the same situation. There are many reasons. Some folks don't want the hassle of running their own server. Hosting companies provide a good service in that regard.

Further, I can't use my Pre on the corporate Exchange at work. It is against company policy. However, I want the functionality that Exchange provides for my personal e-mail.

Personally, I would rather NOT have my work e-mail on my personal phone. I don't want my personal phone to be at the mercy of company policies. I've seen more than once where employee Blackberries had to be remotely wiped because someone e-mailed something classified on the wrong network. I don't want my personal device to fall victim to something like that--even if it WAS allowed on the corporate network.

Gmail, while nice, is not quite there yet with the integration and capabilities of a full Exchange environment. Don't get me wrong, I also use Gmail on my Pre--along with Exchange. I have many e-mail addresses and use them for different purposes.

To each his own. Let's just say that it is worth it to some people to use hosted Exchange services.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    To each his own. Let's just say that it is worth it to some people to use hosted Exchange services.
    Not if you can't get them to set it up the way YOU want it. Sounds like everyone here is experiencing similar issues. They should be jumping through hoops for you guys, if you pay them to host your stuff.

Should have taken a 10 minute phone call, or an email+few hours, for your account to be fixed.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Not if you can't get them to set it up the way YOU want it. Sounds like everyone here is experiencing similar issues. They should be jumping through hoops for you guys, if you pay them to host your stuff.

Should have taken a 10 minute phone call, or an email+few hours, for your account to be fixed.
    You're point is well received. I agree.

Customer service seems like a lost art with some companies. Unfortunately, the larger a company gets, the more likely they are to be less flexible in making arbitrary changes to accommodate what they perceive as a small sub-set of users. That's not to say that they won't eventually do something (if enough people scream at them), but it takes longer than it should.

I have considered (and am still considering) hosting my own Exchange server. But it is a hassle and will require an investment in hardware, DNS registration hassles, security upgrades, etc. Not to mention TIME. For some folks, dealing with the occasional customer service headache outweighs the investment in infrastructure/system admin time and expense.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    According to an informal poll on precentral.net, as of this morning 13.6% of all Exchange users on 1.2 can no longer sync with Exchange. (source: http://www.precentral.net/server-sid...hange-webos-12)

I added up the number of users who said EAS works for them with the number of users who said EAS broke in 1.2. Calculated the % broken as a % of that total. I did not include the users who said it never worked for them either before or after 1.2 was released.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I called my Exchange admin this morning at my company. I explained the situation to him, showed him how innocuous the change on the server would be (he agreed it should not have any impact on all of the other mobile phones our fellow employees use), and he made the change right there on the spot. It worked like a charm. :-)

I am one of the lucky ones. If he had said no I would be on my fourth day without my contacts, email and calendar. Totally unacceptable. A client-side fix is needed.

Palm is definitely moving in the right direction. Please come out with a client-side fix within a few days. Moving back to 1.1 is very painful for many folks due to all of the effort in backing up of media, reinstalling homebrew apps, and reconfiguring official and homebrew apps alike.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    UPDATE: for my fix previous update, (3 checkboxes) worked for me Pre, but knocked off many Iphone users.

My hosted admin emailed me and said he disabled the changes for now. (far more iphone users than Pre) --this is a 3rd party host

can someone with iphone and pre eas support verify this??

edit: Admin setup a new group policy called "Pre" with those settings and it worked out fine. A-OK now

(let your Admin know to create a new group policy, so it will not affect others)
    Last edited by trim81; 10/02/2009 at 02:56 PM.
    You should be able to change the settings per-device/acount, correct?
    no 'Thanks'
    no, its a server policy...and it broke alot of iphone users.

Admin said once he hooked me up, many 'nastygrams' from his Iphone users started to flood his box.

....can someone please cofnrim? We need Palm to address this, if this is the case

edit: NVM it works. Admin setup a new group policy called "Pre" with those settings and it worked out fine. A-OK now

(let your Admin know to create a new group policy, so it will not affect others)
    Last edited by trim81; 10/02/2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post

Admin said once he hooked me up, many 'nastygrams' from his Iphone users started to flood his box.

....can someone please cofnrim? We need Palm to address this, if this is the case
    Wow! If this really is the case, then it looks like Palm isn't the only one doing some crappy programming. (But then we shouldn't be surprised that the same kind of policy-based problems would crop up for iPhones, given that many of the engineers that Palm now has came from Apple... Hmmm.)

I'll say it again... Changes on the server are only workarounds, not solutions.

But we do need for iPhone users to chime in and let us know if these changes are affecting them. Further, we need to know what provider this was done on so everyone can compare notes.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

ok any EAS Admins in the house?>

Does the workaround kill iphone users?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post

It didn't break any of our users's iPhones. We have 3000+ employees (not sure how many have iPhones but they seem to outnumber Pres 30:1). Our Exchange admin who made the change has an iPhone himself and he said it still worked fine.

Which change did your Admin make? The one where a password is required or the one where it is not required? Ours made the latter and it had no impact (since our existing policy is no password required). Our admin said he remembers there being issues with iPhones in the past with the password requirement setting, said Apple fixed it, but that it broke some other Exchange functionality. Sound familiar?
    Ok!! Based on this thread and others I was so apprehensive to perform the upgrade but I said what the heck once I saw there was a way to revert back to 1.1 because I desperately need my EAS sync. Well I'm happy to report that my sync is working but now just pulling up any email account is painfully slow (it just took 44 sec.) to bring up my email account. I'm not talking about going out and grab new emails where on version 1.1 it was near instantaneous.

What gives?? Is this issue listed any where??
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast