Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    True, this is not a fix.

From this anecdotal evidence, Palm's implementation forces admins to implement a password policy in the EAS profile in order for the Pre to connect. If no such policy existed before, the lack of one shouldn't be a roadblock to connecting the device.

THAT is a bug! It needs to be addressed by Palm.
    Agreed 100%

There needs to be a client side fix to this. Not everyone has access to their exchange server (or a nice IT dept that works with them), and not everyone wants to be forced to use a PIN on their Pre.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    If it was a simple pin enforcement, I wouldn't mind, but I don't get the option, and last time I dealt with 1and1.com's tech support, I had a moron who wouldn't escalate my request.

Sounds like Palm's implementation of the security lockdown is lacking. It should work as the server is set (hacks to work around it are a personal preference). I'm still jonesing for my digital information to be available...I've been spoiled!
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshue View Post
    So i think what everyone should learn from this, is that palm did their update correctly, forces your phone to accept the Exchange Servers Security Policy. Clearly they learned a bit from the Iphones latest unsecured sync issues.

You should be specifying if you are using one of those hosted exchange services, if you are a tech and have admin level access to your exchange server, or if you work for a company who has an admin for your exchange server.

You should be contacting your hosting company of your exchange server service if you need your policy to be changed. If they will not ( and i dont blame them for security reasons) change their security policy, you should find another unsecure service that suits you.

If your company's exchange server admin will not change the security policy (again dont blame them depending on the nature of the business) then you will have to follow the guidelines set forth in the security policy.

Lastly, if you work for a company who has a server admin, you should NOT be trying to set up your own device for account syc, that is what the IT department is for, contact them and stop complaining that you cant figure it out!!
    Some things you left out:

IF your hosting company DOES have a PIN policy in place, BUT your Pre can't connect to the server in order to receive the policy, who's responsibility is it to fix that?

IF your hosting company does NOT have a PIN policy in place, yet your Pre won't connect/verify BECAUSE of that fact, who is Palm to dictate to anyone (hosting company or its users) that they MUST put one in place in order to use the Pre?

I have no problem with having the ability to use a PIN on my phone, nor a problem with it being enforced by my provider (if that is their policy). What I DO have a problem with is my provider and me being forced to put something in place that wasn't required before, all because Palm hard-coded the requirement into their OS (whether erroneously or not). That part needs to be fixed on the client side (i.e. WebOS).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Well I have never been able to sync exchange yet.
    If I am in the office on the office wireless network and I use IMAP, I can see the e-mail.
    However when I get off the office network it will not sync, kind of been waiting on a vpn program.
    When I put the same information in the EAS, I get the cant connect error.
    My information for EAS is
    Email address
    email@work.com
    incoming mail
    https://mail.work.com
    domain
    work.com
    user name
    email
    password
    password
    Don’t understand the problem

If on the company wifi I can use IMAP
    And my mail shows up
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    you mobile already has the policy on the device, with 1.1 it just ignored the pin and probably some other security settings in order to sync. Try adding a screen lock pin and see if you can then sync with proper credentials.

You dont HAVE to have a pin policy in place on an exchange server, it is just good practice. People loose their phones all the time. If you work for a company with sensitive data, you would want to enforce that policy on every device that isn't hard wired to the building.

I say it is still an issue of the end user not understanding how ti works and blaming palm, instead of contacting their exchange admins and letting them show you how to do it correctly, is some instance the hosting company (which i think you pay for) would be your exchange admin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeder View Post
    If I am in the office on the office wireless network and I use IMAP, I can see the e-mail.
    However when I get off the office network it will not sync, kind of been waiting on a vpn program.
    Email address
    email@work.com
    incoming mail
    domain
    work.com
    user name
    email
    password
    password

And my mail shows up
    In your case, that's not something Palm can fix. Your company's IT department has locked down access to the local network. If they DO offer access via VPN, then you're right, a VPN client would be needed and could get you in (assuming that it is configurable enough to get past all of your company's security requirements--i.e. proper ports, encryption protocols, etc.).

At least your company allows WiFi access. Many do not.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeder View Post
    Email address
    email@work.com
    incoming mail
    domain
    work.com
    user name
    email
    password
    password

And my mail shows up
    Your company's security policy is probably set up as such that you do not need that pin from within the internal network, however from outside, it has no way of authenticating if you don't follow the it policy that is set on the exchange server.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    you mobile already has the policy on the device, with 1.1 it just ignored the pin and probably some other security settings in order to sync. Try adding a screen lock pin and see if you can then sync with proper credentials.

You dont HAVE to have a pin policy in place on an exchange server, it is just good practice. People loose their phones all the time. If you work for a company with sensitive data, you would want to enforce that policy on every device that isn't hard wired to the building.

I say it is still an issue of the end user not understanding how ti works and blaming palm, instead of contacting their exchange admins and letting them show you how to do it correctly, is some instance the hosting company (which i think you pay for) would be your exchange admin.
    NO, it's a broken palm implementation. For what it's worth, I've tried setting a pin - it doesn't help. (w/ 4smartphone.com)
    -m
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    So i think what everyone should learn from this, is that palm did their update correctly, forces your phone to accept the Exchange Servers Security Policy. Clearly they learned a bit from the Iphones latest unsecured sync issues.

You should be specifying if you are using one of those hosted exchange services, if you are a tech and have admin level access to your exchange server, or if you work for a company who has an admin for your exchange server.

You should be contacting your hosting company of your exchange server service if you need your policy to be changed. If they will not ( and i dont blame them for security reasons) change their security policy, you should find another unsecure service that suits you.

If your company's exchange server admin will not change the security policy (again dont blame them depending on the nature of the business) then you will have to follow the guidelines set forth in the security policy.

Lastly, if you work for a company who has a server admin, you should NOT be trying to set up your own device for account syc, that is what the IT department is for, contact them and stop complaining that you cant figure it out!!

Yeah, but what about the current issue of breaking EAS sync in WebOS 1.2. I work for a company with an IT department. They have Exchange admins no doubt. They don't officially support any particular mobile phone, but provide OWA (outlook web access) for access to email from remote locations and mobile devices.

Since the first day the Pre was launched on June 6th the sync with my corporate Exhange server has been working perfectly. Immediately following the WebOS update 1.2 syncing has failed. Even if I could submit a request to my Exchange admins and convince them to make some change, I don't even know what it is I am supposed to ask them to change! Palm has not published any details on what the root cause of this issue is.

Palm has clearly introduced a bug. It is not up to us users to fix, or to track down our Exchange admins (try doing that at a 3000+ employee company) to 'fix' some policy issue. We just want our sync to work like it did since day 1.

To make matters worse, the Palm Tech support folks are telling people who call in to delete their EAS profiles! That wipes all of the cached PIM info (contacts, email, calendar entries) from the device, making it virtually useless for PIM functionality.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by Deeder; 10/01/2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Yeah, but what about the current issue of breaking EAS sync in WebOS 1.2. I work for a company with an IT department. They have Exchange admins no doubt. They don't officially support any particular mobile phone, but provide OWA (outlook web access) for access to email from remote locations and mobile devices.

Since the first day the Pre was launched on June 6th the sync with my corporate Exhange server has been working perfectly. Immediately following the WebOS update 1.2 syncing has failed. Even if I could submit a request to my Exchange admins and convince them to make some change, I don't even know what it is I am supposed to ask them to change! Palm has not published any details on what the root cause of this issue is.

Palm has clearly introduced a bug. It is not up to us users to fix, or to track down our Exchange admins (try doing that at a 3000+ employee company) to 'fix' some policy issue. We just want our sync to work like it did since day 1.

To make matters worse, the Palm Tech support folks are telling people who call in to delete their EAS profiles! That wipes all of the cached PIM info (contacts, email, calendar entries) from the device, making it virtually useless for PIM functionality.

OWA is not the same as mobile exchange access, you can still access OWA with your pre's web browser. If you would like a sync with Exchange, then you have to follow the IT Policy sent to your phone from the exchange server.
    Seroiusly, if you are all with these large companies, call your IT department, i know they have one and report the issue, i guarantee one of the people working there, probably more, are the exchange admins and know exactly what you are talking about.

You do need to remove your existing account because it needs to remove that existing security policy that it has been ignoring. Go into the screen lock settings and either set pin/password whatever your policy is requiring, and then try to enter the exchange account information again.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    sorry Deeder, i dont know how these 3rd parting hosting companies work their policy's or even how they work behind the scenes in general, i only know Exchange 2007 from an admin side.

There is a thread that was started about this very topic way before the 1.2 update even occured re how the policy's were either not accepted correctly or ignored by the pre. The upadate forced the policy to be followed to a T.

If you have a good backup, snag webosdoctor for 1.1, wipe your phone, restore your profile and apps and junk, then upgrade to 1.2, then setup your exchange account is all i can recommend for those 3rd party companies.

Already tried putting a PIN on the phone. Having a PIN in place doesn't make a bit of difference. The phone rejects the server. Credentials get accepted by the server. I know this because if you use either the wrong password or wrong username, the Pre gives you a completely different error message. So it's making contact, but the Pre just doesn't like the answer it is getting from the server.

By the way, I've been a System and Exchange admin for years, so I know how these things work. I just don't agree with how Palm's software is handling the situation in this case.

Here's an interesting question that I haven't seen asked or answered:

Is there anyone using Exchange since WebOS 1.2 whose provider (work, commercial, or personally-owned server) does NOT have a PIN policy being enforced--and if so, are they still able to sync EAS without having to make a change to their server (putting a PIN policy in place)?

Thus far, the only people I've seen chime in on this, who got it to work, are folks that now have to enter a PIN. Anyone out there using EAS with 1.2 that does NOT have to use a PIN (and without hacking the phone to bypass the requirement)?

I ask this because if everyone that has gotten it to work has to have a PIN, and no one else is getting it to work without a PIN policy, this suggests that WebOS 1.2 won't EAS sync without one.

Can anyone chime in that is using EAS under WebOS 1.2 WITHOUT a PIN?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Already tried putting a PIN on the phone. Having a PIN in place doesn't make a bit of difference. The phone rejects the server. Credentials get accepted by the server. I know this because if you use either the wrong password or wrong username, the Pre gives you a completely different error message. So it's making contact, but the Pre just doesn't like the answer it is getting from the server.

By the way, I've been a System and Exchange admin for years, so I know how these things work. I just don't agree with how Palm's software is handling the situation in this case.

Is there anyone using Exchange since WebOS 1.2 whose provider (work, commercial, or personally-owned server) does NOT have a PIN policy being enforced--and if so, are they still able to sync EAS without having to make a change to their server (putting a PIN policy in place)?

Thus far, the only people I've seen chime in on this, who got it to work, are folks that now have to enter a PIN. Anyone out there using EAS with 1.2 that does NOT have to use a PIN (and without hacking the phone to bypass the requirement)?

I ask this because if everyone that has gotten it to work has to have a PIN, and no one else is getting it to work without a PIN policy, this suggests that WebOS 1.2 won't EAS sync without one.

Yes i can chime in, i disabled the pin policy for myself, and i get no issues with EAS and exchange 2007 on my pre.
    The owner of the company required this for his mobile as well even though i told him the security risks, so was also pin required disabled, but now has a blackberry on BES.

Glad to see other admins chime in here BTW, its nice to hold a convo without having to skim through thousands of users asking the same questions
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts

Nice suggestion. I just added a simple 4 digit PIN to the Pre, but it still wouldn't allow me to add my EAS account back. Thanks anyway. For a brief 5 minutes I had some hope :-)
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Yes i can chime in, i disabled the pin policy for myself, and i get no issues with EAS and exchange 2007 on my pre.
    The owner of the company required this for his mobile as well even though i told him the security risks, so was also pin required disabled, but now has a blackberry on BES.

Glad to see other admins chime in here BTW, its nice to hold a convo without having to skim through thousands of users asking the same questions
    Cool. So you disabled the PIN requirement for your particular EAS profile. Now, did you do this AFTER you got your Pre to connect, or prior to being ABLE to connect?

I ask this because if the Pre insists on having the PIN policy in place (right after upgrade to 1.2), but then won't validate the server if that policy is not being pushed, then that suggests that we essentially have to turn the switch on, let the Pre think it's won the PIN battle, and then turn the switch off.

In short, did your EAS profile have a PIN policy before the upgrade to 1.2 and did you have to turn it off in order to get your Pre to sync?

Oh, and are you working with the original account on your Pre or did you remove the account during troubleshooting and have problems putting it back?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

50 minutes on the phone with palm for them to tell me that they will have to call me back within 24 hours. Why can't the phone jockey say Ok, we are having issues with EAS and take a name and number. Instead we have to go through useless troubleshooting including giving my login credentials to someone in the middle east...
    Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> PPC6700 --> Treo 700WX --> Treo 800W --> Pre.
    I am starting to wonder why I am so loyal to Palm. My Apple iTouch works with EAS just fine.
    Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> PPC6700 --> Treo 700WX --> Treo 800W --> Pre.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts

I just emailed my company's Exchange Server admin this question. I will post their response as soon as I hear from them.
    I just sent this email to Palms management team, I wonder if we will see any outcome.

TO: jon.rubinstein@palm.com, jeff.devine@palm.com, katie.mitic@palm.com, jeff.zwerner@palm.com, michael.abbott@palm.com, mary.doyle@palm.com, way.ting@palm.com, mike.bell@palm.com, doug.jeffries@palm.com, dave.whalen@palm.com

Dear Palm Management Team,

Recently I contacted "Palm Phone Support" at 877-426-3777 and informed
    the representative that my EAS (Exchange Active Sync) stopped working
    after the latest update to my Palm Pre. After about one hour on the
    phone I was transferred to level 3 support and they told me that there
    was no fix for the issue currently and my information would be
    forwarded off to the engineering team.

My issue is that I rely on the Palm Pre for business email, contacts
    and calendar and right now the pre is nothing other than a basic phone
    for me. I asked if I could downgrade to the previous version of the
    software that worked fine and was told that it wasn't possible, then I
    asked if I could be provided with a device with working EAS for the
    time being until a fix was found for the issue, again I was told that
    it wasn't possible.

At this time I was becoming slightly agitated so I asked the location
    of the call center and if the person I was talking to was a Palm
    employee. I was told the call center is in the Philippines and
    because of privacy reasons he couldn't tell me if he was a Palm
    employee or not. So I asked to be connected to Palm corporate
    offices, at that time I was placed on hold and the call was
    disconnected.

A few minutes later I received a call from Tory from corporate
    customer relations. I explained the same information to him and was
    told that the engineers need time to look into the issue and there is
    no ETA for a fix. Then I asked if I could downgrade the software to
    the version that worked fine before and received the same answer that
    it wasn't possible to do so. I then asked for a device that would
    work with EAS until a fix could be provided, again the answer was no.

So at this point I am left with a Palm Pre that was advertised as
    having "Microsoft® Exchange email with Microsoft Direct Push
    Technology" that does not work as advertised.

I have been a loyal Palm customer since the Treo 300, I have owned the
    Treo 300, 600, 650, 700p, 700wx, 800, and the Pre. At this time I am
    wondering why I have been so loyal to Palm, I have an Apple device
    that has worked with EAS since they announced support with no issues.

I feel that if a fix cannot be provided within 24 hours I should
    receive a device that does work for the time being. Also I believe
    that compensation should be provided for all users affected with this
    issue. At the present time users depend on their mobile devices for
    email, contacts and calendar information in my opinion Palm is failing
    the loyal owners of its devices.

Below you will find a few links, the top one is a link to a forum on
    your website that states palm has logged the issue into its system.
    If the issue was logged into your system why did I have to spend over
    an hour of my time to be told the same thing by a representative of
    your company? The second link is to a post on PreCentral describing
    the issue.

webOS 1.2 and Exchange - Synergy (webOS) - Palm Support Community

http://www.precentral.net/webos-12-and-exchange-issues

Here is my case number incase you need it 1-51686458761.

Thanks in advance for your help