Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    In my case, my office uses GroupWise, which is not supported on the Pre. So, I'd like to use the Pre to be able to send messages, via Gmail, but have them appear as if they came from my office e-mail address.

GMail has the ability to send e-mail, as if it was coming from another address. When I send a message via the Gmail web interface, it looks like it came from my office (e.g., "squeff@myoffice.com" <-- not the actual address).

However, this doesn't work when mail is sent from the Pre. When I send a message through this account (e.g., squeff-office@gmail.com <-- not the actual address), it arrives as coming from "squeff-office@gmail.com." However, the reply-to is correct (because the Pre has a setting for ReplyTo) as "squeff@myoffice.com."

I don't mind if someone sees the gmail address it they look carefully at the headers, but I'd like the "from" to look correct.

This tells me that when e-mail is sent from the Pre, the Pre is setting the headers. Gmail isn't able to apply it's own settings, like the alternate "from."

Any way around this?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    In my case, my office uses GroupWise, which is not supported on the Pre. So, I'd like to use the Pre to be able to send messages, via Gmail, but have them appear as if they came from my office e-mail address.

GMail has the ability to send e-mail, as if it was coming from another address. When I send a message via the Gmail web interface, it looks like it came from my office (e.g., "squeff@myoffice.com" <-- not the actual address).

However, this doesn't work when mail is sent from the Pre. When I send a message through this account (e.g., squeff-office@gmail.com <-- not the actual address), it arrives as coming from "squeff-office@gmail.com." However, the reply-to is correct (because the Pre has a setting for ReplyTo) as "squeff@myoffice.com."

I don't mind if someone sees the gmail address it they look carefully at the headers, but I'd like the "from" to look correct.

This tells me that when e-mail is sent from the Pre, the Pre is setting the headers. Gmail isn't able to apply it's own settings, like the alternate "from."

Any way around this?
    When you add the email account to your Pre and it asks for the email address, input your "squeff@myoffice.com" address. And then use your gmail info for all the rest, including the domain settings. This will show that email comes from your office email, care of the gmail address. If you want to do away with the gmail address all-together, change the outgoing email settings to an alternate SMTP server. So if your work has outgoing email capabilities, just use those credentials and the only "from" address that will be shown will be from your work.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    When you add the email account to your Pre and it asks for the email address, input your "squeff@myoffice.com" address. And then use your gmail info for all the rest, including the domain settings. This will show that email comes from your office email, care of the gmail address. If you want to do away with the gmail address all-together, change the outgoing email settings to an alternate SMTP server. So if your work has outgoing email capabilities, just use those credentials and the only "from" address that will be shown will be from your work.
    Thank you very much. This does what I want!
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Thank you very much. This does what I want!
    No problem
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Not exactly the same question, but I've discovered a different mail issue with this same Gmail account.

If I forward a message from GroupWise and then try to retrieve that message on my Pre, the header info (from, subject, etc.) is fine, but the body of the message cannot be retrieved. I keep getting the "dancing circle" and then eventually it says that it can't retrieve the text and will try again later.

Here's what the message looks like in the web interface:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    To: <squeff@office.com>
    Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:25:35 -0400
    Subject: This message
    This message should come from wife@hotmail.com, but then be forwarded.
    So far as I can tell, there's nothing odd about this that would prohibit it from being retrieved.

Any thoughts?

If I "delegate" the e-mail (GroupWise people will know what I mean) instead of forwarding it, the Pre can retrieve. However, because of the way we have GroupWise setup, this doesn't tell me who sent the original message (it looks like it came from me).