1.    #1  
    FYI from NYT Techonology page online,
    "The skirmish between Apple and Palm over whether owners of Palm devices can sync them up with their iTunes libraries has come to something of a resolution ó though maybe not the one Palm had hoped for.

Earlier this summer, Palm filed a complaint with the USB Implementers Forum, an industry group that oversees standards for USB connections, claiming that Apple was restraining trade by only allowing Apple devices to access iTunes, its popular media management software.

On Wednesday, the group replied to the letter, dismissing Palmís assertion that Apple was in violation of its policies. It also said that Palmís strategy of having its Pre phone masquerade as an iPod so it would work with iTunes was a violation of the groupís membership agreement. "
    Quote Originally Posted by hilljilly View Post
    FYI from NYT Techonology page online,
    "The skirmish between Apple and Palm over whether owners of Palm devices can sync them up with their iTunes libraries has come to something of a resolution ó though maybe not the one Palm had hoped for.

Earlier this summer, Palm filed a complaint with the USB Implementers Forum, an industry group that oversees standards for USB connections, claiming that Apple was restraining trade by only allowing Apple devices to access iTunes, its popular media management software.

On Wednesday, the group replied to the letter, dismissing Palmís assertion that Apple was in violation of its policies. It also said that Palmís strategy of having its Pre phone masquerade as an iPod so it would work with iTunes was a violation of the groupís membership agreement. "

Plenty of threads on already covering this. Not a big deal really. Palm isn't the only one accessing itunes (*cough *cough RIM).

Plenty of alternatives though not as easy and widely available as itunes, they'll come around eventually to duplicate the functionality.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Eh, it doesn't really mean much, technically if what USB Implementers Forum said is true, that Software implementation is none of their concern, then there is quite a bit of grey area any company could sink into.

If a device were to connect using it's true developer and product id, then the software were to identify it as a new device, maybe Apple's iPod....

There's defiantly ways to get around the standard, in fact you could ignore it altogether, but the purpose is to allow universal access of devices, and Apple's denying of the Pre is against that ideal. I'm sure Apple wouldn't be too happy if Microsoft just blocked all their devices, and I wouldn't call it fair if Apple were to block all Sandisk USB drives...

My guess is neither company will feel the wrath of the USB Implementers Forum anytime soon.
    if i hear "itunes" one more time...