Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I suspect that you're right that the "official" facebook app will be free. But I'm highly skeptical that you know that with certainty.
    Kinda see where your going with this. Take for example the official twitter app, is free on all platforms but they have different versions. Especially for iPhone OS, I own an iTouch and there are so may twitter apps it's unbelievable, free and paid versions.

So there is a possibility that there may be paid version of facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    VickMackey saw the absurdity in this thread and the idea behind it. It makes NO sense. No officially licensed Facebook app has ever been anything but free, why would you ever think Palm would put one out people had to pay for?
    If you go back far enough *ALL* software was free. In fact, the culture of sharing software was so prevalent that Bill Gates wrote a famous letter discouraging the practice.

In short, past performance is not an indicator of future returns.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    If you go back far enough *ALL* software was free. In fact, the culture of sharing software was so prevalent that Bill Gates wrote a famous letter discouraging the practice.

In short, past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

That is irrelevant. What indication from Palm or Facebook lends to the idea that a paid app would be released on the Pre when it's free on:

iPhone
    Android
    Blackberry
    Windows Mobile
    PalmOS

It would make absolutely NO sense.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    if you can go to m.facebook.com or www. facebook. com for free, why would you need to pay for a facebook app>?
    Because a properly planned app is optimized for use on a smaller screen, doesn't require constant sign-ins and will offer phone specific features and hardware integration that aren't available on the web/desktop version.

Since the guy who did the iPhone versions said he won't be doing the Pre one then there will probably be a few developers giving it a shot. I'm sure there will be a free app but that doesn't mean we won't get someone trying to make a few bucks on their hard work either.
    What indication from Palm or Facebook lends to the idea that a paid app would be released on the Pre when it's free on:
    How about the fact that it's not available yet on the Pre while it's clearly created and working on the pre-release Pixi? Are they waiting for it to release w/the App Catalog that supports paid apps?

Ultimately, I do suspect that it will be free. But I am highly skeptical that *anyone* in this thread can know that with certainty.
    How about the fact that it's not available yet on the Pre while it's clearly created and working on the pre-release Pixi? Are they waiting for it to release w/the App Catalog that supports paid apps?

Ultimately, I do suspect that it will be free. But I am highly skeptical that *anyone* in this thread can know that with certainty.
    Ever hear of Beta? The Palm rep in the video being questioned by Engadget (i think) said it wasn't fully functioning, they're still working on it.

That is the reason, nothing more.

Edit: The outcry if Facebook came out as a paid app would be tremendous and make absolutely no sense when EVERY major smartphone platform has an officially licensed free app. Palm, trying it's hardest to establish itself would not want to polarize a MAJOR part of the smartphone customer base by saying they have to pay for something that can be found free everywhere else.
  7.    #27  
    Absurd? You folks seem to not have the ability to connect the dots or look at things on a larger scale.

Okay...let's look at some other products, shall we?

Remember when Google's Gmail was "free"? Sure, yea...you got that 1 gig, then it went up a couple of more gigs and now if you haven't noticed, if you want more space, you pay.

Evernote use to be completely free and so was Flickr. But now there's "premium" memberships with more "perks".

And remember when Twitter was completely free - for personal and business accounts? Now they charge business to Tweet.

So I ask you this: If there's so many people using Facebook and they know that they are THE social site, what is to keep them from saying "Hey...you know what? Starting 2010, we're going to charge a dollar for every download or upgrade people make on their mobile phones".

And if you still call me absurd, Facebook has been performing analysis on whether or not they should charge members for having a membership to Facebook.

Sure, I'm *pretty* sure the Facebook app for the Palm Pre will be free but considering Palm's lack of finances and they are the smallest mobile phone developer out of everyone else, it wouldn't fully surprise me if they did charge

Absurd? Really? I'm still holding my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Absurd? You folks seem to not have the ability to connect the dots or look at things on a larger scale.

Okay...let's look at some other products, shall we?

Remember when Google's Gmail was "free"? Sure, yea...you got that 1 gig, then it went up a couple of more gigs and now if you haven't noticed, if you want more space, you pay.

Evernote use to be completely free and so was Flickr. But now there's "premium" memberships with more "perks".

And remember when Twitter was completely free - for personal and business accounts? Now they charge business to Tweet.

So I ask you this: If there's so many people using Facebook and they know that they are THE social site, what is to keep them from saying "Hey...you know what? Starting 2010, we're going to charge a dollar for every download or upgrade people make on their mobile phones".

And if you still call me absurd, Facebook has been performing analysis on whether or not they should charge members for having a membership to Facebook.

Absurd? Really? I'm still holding my 2 cents.
    Poor example on Gmail. So back when it first came out it was 1 gig for free.

Fast forward to 2009 and you get 7+ gigs free. Ouch, that hits my purse strings.

Evernote & Flickr have the same free capabilities they've always had.

--------

Your point on a premier Facebook may very well come to fruition, I'm not denying that, but you're missing my point... Facebook is currently free. Facebook on all mobile platforms is free. Now why would Palm & Facebook charge for a program that's free everywhere else? It makes no sense. Palm needs to compete with the iPhone & Blackberry, and Facebook is of a huge importance to the smartphone audience. Why in their right mind would they charge for Facebook?

The customer who values Facebook will simply choose a Blackberry or iPhone.

Case closed.
  9.    #29  
    [QUOTE=zeravla531;1914783]Philly, figures. I'm an hour away and we can meet in Camden if you'd like. The waterfront./QUOTE]

I see that you're in "sales". I'm a marketing manager. We're the ones that tell the company how a brand or products should be placed and then we tell you monkeys (aka "sales people") to follow our strategy because unlike the marketing people, sales people's minds are very linear.

BTW - I wouldn't touch Camden with a 10 ft pole. And I don't know what part of Philly you're thinking, but I can see Camden from my loft and if I turn to my right, I can see the Philly skyline. If you go to Camden tonight to meet me, I will probably not be there. But make sure to wave. Use the homebrew flashlight app to signal me. I may or may not signal back.
    Case closed.
    I really hope that you're right. But facebook makes *no* revenue off of it's mobile app. It doesn't deliver ads via that interface. It would not surprise me in the least if they decide to end that. Facebook's revenue stream depends entirely on the premise that people will go to the *website* so that they can deliver ads to faces.

I personally think that this is a topic worth discussing. If you don't think it's a valuable topic, fine. But do you mind if those of us who do see the value have a conversation without having to justify it to you?
  11.    #31  
    Poor example on Gmail. So back when it first came out it was 1 gig for free.

Fast forward to 2009 and you get 7+ gigs free. Ouch, that hits my purse strings.

Evernote & Flickr have the same free capabilities they've always had.

--------

Your point on a premier Facebook may very well come to fruition, I'm not denying that, but you're missing my point... Facebook is currently free. Facebook on all mobile platforms is free. Now why would Palm & Facebook charge for a program that's free everywhere else? It makes no sense. Palm needs to compete with the iPhone & Blackberry, and Facebook is of a huge importance to the smartphone audience. Why in their right mind would they charge for Facebook?

The customer who values Facebook will simply choose a Blackberry or iPhone.

Case closed.

You're still missing my point. Dude...look at the app "Pageonce" for the iPhone and Blackberry. It's probably one of the best and useful apps for any mobile device. Here's the kicker: The iPhone version is FREE. Blackberry is $10. iPhone version has more features FREE. Blackberry has less for $10.

So keep saying "but it's free everywhere else". It doesn't matter.
    [QUOTE=chiliu78;1914879]
    Philly, figures. I'm an hour away and we can meet in Camden if you'd like. The waterfront./QUOTE]

I see that you're in "sales". I'm a marketing manager. We're the ones that tell the company how a brand or products should be placed and then we tell you monkeys (aka "sales people") to follow our strategy because unlike the marketing people, sales people's minds are very linear.

BTW - I wouldn't touch Camden with a 10 ft pole. And I don't know what part of Philly you're thinking, but I can see Camden from my loft and if I turn to my right, I can see the Philly skyline. If you go to Camden tonight to meet me, I will probably not be there. But make sure to wave. Use the homebrew flashlight app to signal me. I may or may not signal back.
    I find it humorous that by my profile saying "sales" you assumed "salesperson". And i also find it humorous to tell me how great your job is, how smart you are, etc. I also find it humorous you told me to meet you somewhere, I said i would and you immediately backpedaled and went on about your extravagant lifestyle, and your loft, etc. Is this all to make you feel better about yourself? Because this thread and your points aren't exactly doing the job.

Very typical indeed.

Is Cherry Hill a place you would touch with your 10 foot diamond-encrusted pole? I can meet you there as well.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Let's see... the Facebook app will be included in the OS, so why/how on earth would they charge for it?
    You go there... I'll meet you there!!! (I live in Florida. Have a good wait and cool off )

Why couldnt you just answered the question like your second paragraph and move on and let the people that wanted to discuss it do so instead the way you did. You are just asking for whatever response followed. Talk about waste.

Philly, figures. I'm an hour away and we can meet in Camden if you'd like. The waterfront.

VickMackey saw the absurdity in this thread and the idea behind it. It makes NO sense. No officially licensed Facebook app has ever been anything but free, why would you ever think Palm would put one out people had to pay for?
    I really hope that you're right. But facebook makes *no* revenue off of it's mobile app. It doesn't deliver ads via that interface. It would not surprise me in the least if they decide to end that. Facebook's revenue stream depends entirely on the premise that people will go to the *website* so that they can deliver ads to faces.

I personally think that this is a topic worth discussing. If you don't think it's a valuable topic, fine. But do you mind if those of us who do see the value have a conversation without having to justify it to you?
    I can see Facebook eventually charging across the board, but not putting out a paid Pre app when it's free on every other platform.

I think we're arguing about two different things.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The outcry if Facebook came out as a paid app would be tremendous and make absolutely no sense when EVERY major smartphone platform has an officially licensed free app.
    First off, public outcry doesn't keep people from supporting a product. The big Facebook TOS scandal proved that because people kept posting pictures while messaging their friends how crappy FB is.

But more to the point, who is making the Facebook app? The iPhone developer confirmed he won't do it so as end users we have no way to know the quality of the app, how they're getting paid and what quality to expect. Hopefully it's paid by Palm but if it's a 3rd party app then they could charge whatever they want.
    Palm, trying it's hardest to establish itself would not want to polarize a MAJOR part of the smartphone customer base by saying they have to pay for something that can be found free everywhere else.
    Palm may be trying to "establish itself" but from what we've seen so far their priorities are screwed up. Palm spent time and resources in hacking iTunes sync, yet provided the phone with a disappointing Media Player. And they made some impressive Facebook integration throughout the phone, yet didn't even bother making a Facebook app.

The Pre is a fantastic product, but it has yet to be revealed as to how well thought out this product is. So sure, this Pre FB app could be the ultimate king kong facebook app that will star in commercials around the globe. OR this could be a half-a$$ed app that is almost as good as the blackberry one. There's no guarantees for anything.
  17.    #37  
    [QUOTE=zeravla531;1914895]

I find it humorous that by my profile saying "sales" you assumed "salesperson". And i also find it humorous to tell me how great your job is, how smart you are, etc. I also find it humorous you told me to meet you somewhere, I said i would and you immediately backpedaled and went on about your extravagant lifestyle, and your loft, etc. Is this all to make you feel better about yourself? Because this thread and your points aren't exactly doing the job.

Very typical indeed.

Is Cherry Hill a place you would touch with your 10 foot diamond-encrusted pole? I can meet you there as well.

Actually, I'll be at the ISC center at Cherry Hill from 8:45PM till about 10PM tonight. Since you have that baseball avatar, I assume you're a huge baseball fan. I'll be at the batting cages coaching.

And yes, cause I am swimming in money, I find that I need to spend that extra time coaching kids just to cushion some of that guilt.

And maybe if you spend a little more time explaining why you insisted commenting in a d-bag way on your first response, maybe this entire forum would be a tad bit happier place.

Are you usually VERY comfortable insulting people from behind a computer screen?
    I think we're arguing about two different things.
    I'd just like to discuss the topic w/out having to justify it to the topic police.

Do I think a paid facebook app is likely? No. Do I think it's possible? Yes. And if it happened, I'd be willing to pay for a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    You go there... I'll meet you there!!! (I live in Florida. Have a good wait and cool off )

Why couldnt you just answered the question like your second paragraph and move on and let the people that wanted to discuss it do so instead the way you did. You are just asking for whatever response followed. Talk about waste.
    Sometimes I prefer sarcasm. But i cannot argue your point, it's valid.

You're still missing my point. Dude...look at the app "Pageonce" for the iPhone and Blackberry. It's probably one of the best and useful apps for any mobile device. Here's the kicker: The iPhone version is FREE. Blackberry is $10. iPhone version has more features FREE. Blackberry has less for $10.

So keep saying "but it's free everywhere else". It doesn't matter.
    Pageonce is an exception, not the rule. And i don't recall Pageonce being a dealbreaker with customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    First off, public outcry doesn't keep people from supporting a product. The big Facebook TOS scandal proved that because people kept posting pictures while messaging their friends how crappy FB is.

But more to the point, who is making the Facebook app? The iPhone developer confirmed he won't do it so as end users we have no way to know the quality of the app, how they're getting paid and what quality to expect. Hopefully it's paid by Palm but if it's a 3rd party app then they could charge whatever they want.

Palm may be trying to "establish itself" but from what we've seen so far their priorities are screwed up. Palm spent time and resources in hacking iTunes sync, yet provided the phone with a disappointing Media Player. And they made some impressive Facebook integration throughout the phone, yet didn't even bother making a Facebook app.

The Pre is a fantastic product, but it has yet to be revealed as to how well thought out this product is. So sure, this Pre FB app could be the ultimate king kong facebook app that will star in commercials around the globe. OR this could be a half-a$$ed app that is almost as good as the blackberry one. There's no guarantees for anything.
    The outcry did affect their TOS, as it changed.

I am not referring to 3rd party "unofficial" apps, they can charge whatever they wish, like some Android & Winmo apps did before they received an official app.
    I'd just like to discuss the topic w/out having to justify it to the topic police.

Do I think a paid facebook app is likely? No. Do I think it's possible? Yes. And if it happened, I'd be willing to pay for a good one.

There's no topic police. I said there's no way on earth Palm is releasing paid Facebook app when it's free everywhere else.

You said you can see Facebook eventually charging (which means across the board).

These are two different things.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast