Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    So I setup my email to connect to my work's MS Exchange server (through OWA) and as I expected it required me to configure the PIN. The real painful part is the the Pre asks for the PIN even after just a couple seconds of having the display off. Is there a way to delay or disable that? I like the security of the PIN but would prefer just to change it to a 5 or 10 minute delay, not 2 seconds. I know the iPhones connected to my work's server don't have the PIN requirement so I assume it's something in the Pre. Thanks in advance for the help on this.
    Would really like to know this as well. Exchange e-mail works very well on the Pre but entering the PIN every time you need to do anything is a PITA.
    I posted this complaint the day they came out with EAS support...

My previous smart phones included a feature where you could bypass the PIN for 30 minutes from the last touch so if i checked an email and set my phone down for 25 minutes i wouldn't have to re-enter the PIN.

To answer your question, no, there's nothing you can do and you're stuck entering the PIN 100's a times a day! I went back to using my PRE for phone calls and texts and using my WinMo phone for emails because it's more annoying to keep typing a PIN hundreds of times than it is to carry 2 phones.
  4. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Bummer! Not the answer I was hoping for.
    Patch WebOS Bypassing Lock Screen - WebOS Internals

Only for 1.1 I wish i would not have updated now, I forgot how annoying it is.
    Damnit. I would def not have upgraded to 1.2 if I knew this was going happen. I didn't need to use any sort of patch with 1.1 and the lock never happened. DANGGGITTTTTT
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsblair17 View Post
    Patch WebOS Bypassing Lock Screen - WebOS Internals

Only for 1.1 I wish i would not have updated now, I forgot how annoying it is.
    Actually, it says it works on 1.2. I may just try this until we come up with a way to increase the timeout.
    i looked at the file from 1.2 it looks different i will look again but I really think has changed
    1.2 is different and I cannot find that line of code... help anyone??
    Quote Originally Posted by chad.birkholz View Post
    1.2 is different and I cannot find that line of code... help anyone??
    good I am not losing it I am about to steal the file off a 1.1 and compare and possible throw it on mine and see it will work until it gets fixed it is REALLY annoying.
    hey that's a great idea!!

can you post your findings?
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    hey that's a great idea!!

can you post your findings?
    Ok compared the 2 files with Notepad++ only small differences.
    From what I can tell the fxed it so you can't back swipe (or made some change) while locked and on a phone call, and changed the code so we can't use the hacked code, they took out 4 or 5 lines and made it call some other process. I stuck the old file on seems to work fine back to normal until next upgrade. I think they changed to make it more secure because that was really the only main difference in the 2 files.
    Whoa there. Keep in mind that by putting a hack in place do bypass or delay the requirement of a PIN you are obviously disregarding your company's security policy. This completely undermines the point have requiring a PIN on the active sync process-- and exposes your company to further risk of data loss.

From a compliance perspective (depending on the type of company), if the phone can enforce this policy then it must-- depending on your company's policies...

If the fact that the pre locks when the screen turns off is a problem for you, you have three options that won't result in you getting fired if you HR/IS Security teams find out...

1. Buy a phone that doesn't lock every 30 seconds
    2. Disable active sync on your phone
    3. Live with it locking everytime the screen turns off
    ok mom
    yea really jematlock.... calm down.

So am I missing something because I am not seeing:
    "After line 71 "this.controller.listen('password', ..."

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...-problems.html

Hey fellas, Please check out this similar thread and give any thoughts... I am having an issue with a PASSWORD (alpha numeric) requirement, not a PIN. Everything was gravy until I did the 1.2 update last night. Until then, I never needed to set any password. Now, all of a sudden, I do... What gives???

And just like everyone above, I now need to put in this password literally everytime my screen goes to sleep/turns off. SO ANNOYING!!! The only option that gives me the ability to turn off the locking password (allows the drop down to work again in the "Screen & Lock" menu) is when I completely remove the EAS email account from my phone, but this is not the option I favor. I need my work email and Outlook appts on my phone, but can't realistically deal with entering an alphanumeric password every single time I pick up my phone.

Thank you so much for any help given.
    Last edited by snafu2dj; 09/30/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    yea really jematlock.... calm down.

So am I missing something because I am not seeing:
    "After line 71 "this.controller.listen('password', ..."

Thanks!
    People like you are the reason IT managers get a bad name. if you want the privilge of getting your Pre sync'd to my Exchange server, then you play by my rules. If you don't like it, then you can do 1 of 2 things: hack it to bypass it or simply opt out of using EAS. Hacking it will get you suspended without pay and most likely move to terminate. One thing that management simply will not tolerate is broken trust. No matter where you work or how small the infraction, once you show your employer that you aren't trustworthy, expect to be working on your resume.

In my line of work, I deal with sensitive personal information and it requires the utmost security to protect from identity theft, etc. In our security policy, it specifically states that if you make ANY attempt to bypass security processes within the company, its ground for termination.

yeah, I know...its' not missle codes to start a war that I'm protecting. But its there for a reason. It just sounds like you are whining about being "inconvenienced" by EAS. My corporate EAS policy is a 4 digit PIN. WOW!! The 2 seconds it take to enter it is just KILLING my productivity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Major.Malfunction View Post
    People like you are the reason IT managers get a bad name. if you want the privilge of getting your Pre sync'd to my Exchange server, then you play by my rules. If you don't like it, then you can do 1 of 2 things: hack it to bypass it or simply opt out of using EAS. Hacking it will get you suspended without pay and most likely move to terminate. One thing that management simply will not tolerate is broken trust. No matter where you work or how small the infraction, once you show your employer that you aren't trustworthy, expect to be working on your resume.

In my line of work, I deal with sensitive personal information and it requires the utmost security to protect from identity theft, etc. In our security policy, it specifically states that if you make ANY attempt to bypass security processes within the company, its ground for termination.

yeah, I know...its' not missle codes to start a war that I'm protecting. But its there for a reason. It just sounds like you are whining about being "inconvenienced" by EAS. My corporate EAS policy is a 4 digit PIN. WOW!! The 2 seconds it take to enter it is just KILLING my productivity!

Maybe you should also step off your high horse for a second and come down to a level with the rest of us. In IT there is security and usability. If your data is that sensitive then why allow access to it on the phone in the first place? The 4 digit pin is the worst security feature anyway. How hard is it to root the phone and bypass that pin feature with a few code modifications?

Better yet as the IT Manager do you yourself have the pin feature enabled on your Pre? Or are you just the type to enforce and not follow your own rules? Palm could have done a much better job implementing the forced lock feature on this phone and did a terrible job with it. Have you tried to shut the alarm clock off at 5:30 in the morning by needing to type your pin in first!? Palm left us with no features outside of the lock unlike Win Mobile and iPhone. We also have no options for timeouts.

I am also in IT.. I understand what you are saying but the bigger picture that most IT guys forget the two points; there is security and there is usability. You need to give and take to make the system the most productive, useful but yet as secure as possible.... Palm isn't helping here with that one bit, so for now... I'm hacking.
    I am also in IT.. I understand what you are saying but the bigger picture that most IT guys forget the two points; there is security and there is usability. You need to give and take to make the system the most productive, useful but yet as secure as possible.... Palm isn't helping here with that one bit, so for now... I'm hacking.
    I'd second that sentiment, our hel[lp]desk team in fact no longer supports mobile devices at all except as a "favor" to executives, instead those of us on call or deemed to have no lives buy whatever device we want and fend for ourselves. I've had to advise them enough on the Unix side that I've got a realistic idea of just how buried they are down there and they have no-one at all who can address EAS policy issues. I knew it was hitting the wall when I had to decrypt the Cisco VPN group password for the IT manager so that he can get his iPhone to connect properly. The kicker?

The EAS policy includes remote wipe and it's been used accidentally... this isn't a company-owned device, it's got non-company confidential info and the aftermath of that happening wouldn't be pretty even with backups, but you can't prevent that kind of thing with an overworked staff. When Palm supports backing up messaging, call logs, etc. OTA I'll be a happy camper, but until then I'm going to be looking long and hard at figuring out how to kill wiping. The fact that I don't look at mail as often because of the PIN timeout? Just icing on that cake.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Here at my company, almost everyone has a Blackberry. I decided to go against the grain and get the Pre. My EAS was working flawlessly with 1.1. Literally, the second that my phone finished the install and restarted the other day, I had to enter a password to move forward having no idea what it was for until a few minutes later after my screen shut off and I went to do something on my phone again...

I think it is absolutely BS that everyone else using their Blackberrys here DOES NOT have to do this annoying password/PIN at all, ever, and I do, every single time I pick up my phone just to turn the screen back on. I can't even look at the time without entering a password. Obviously we are all on the same server falling under the same server settings/policies. If a Blackberry doesn't need to follow these settings/policies, then why does a Palm? They (at Palm) obviously over did it with this update following policies for EAS.

And some people out there are saying that hacking past this or finding a work around, tweak, or patch could find someone losing their job for breaking security rules. What is the security difference if no one else in my company has this issue other than the few of us Pre owners??? What's the point anyhow??? Just so if someone else gets their hands on my phone, they can't access my emails/appointments??? Well if someone loses their Blackberry, it's all accessible.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast