Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    i went back to 1.1 because the pin thing is irritating.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    go to developer.palm.com in their forums and post about this BS feature. My company to has blackberry supported devices and iphone supported devices that do not require a pin to unlock the phone or check email.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    thanks worked great! WOSQI did not receive file, for some reason. Logged in as root, cp'ed over to /media/internal and then plugged it in as a USB drive to copy file off to edit. Then, I used WOSQI to put the file back, and all went well!
    My Programs: TipIt(TipCalc), FillUps
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Two things everyone:

1. There is already a thread in Palm's forums on this, post your complaints here: turn Secure Unlock off - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
    2. More importantly, submit your complaint to Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA They are actually monitoring this and have been using the submitted feeback when considering which new features to add.
  5. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I'll checkout that PALM forum, thanks for the link.

For the record, I do not want to disable the PIN feature, just delay it some. There should be a lockout time delay not related to just turning off the screen.
    So I have read through all the posts here and have come to my own conclusion.

Some of the messages I find ridiculous others humorous, but they all make you think about both sides of the security story. The lovely thing about an open platformed device is that you can make the right decision for yourself and take steps to correct whatever you see wrong with said device.

For the IT guys, if you don't like the idea that someone is able to bypass your security policy then block the device. Since the nature of an "open" device makes it open to be changed by the end user then there really is no way to ever guarantee that it can be "locked" down. You are always subject to the end user. If you want a locked down POS then only allow windows stuff.

For the end users of the phone. If you have agreed to abide by the security policy of your company that either respect that or don't. I don't care and neither should anyone in this forum. The one word of caution I would give you is be aware of what the consequences may be if you violate said policy. You may have a person in the IT dept that are like some of the people posting here who threaten to get you fired for not following the company policy. So don't let them find out and it is probably a good idea to never send confidential data over you device in any fashion.

As for me and my phone I bypassed after doing my 1.2.1 update and everything worked out great.

Oh and for all those people out there stating that the other people in their company can connect to an exchange server without the pin but you have to use one on the Palm Pre are you sure they are connecting through the activesync portion of the of exchange or are they connecting through webmail? I know that the blackberries in my work can "sync" with exchange through webmail "linking". However every iPhone user that I have ever come across connect through the EAS and have to enter a pin too.
    So I am an IT guy, and Exchange Administrator and a Pre owner. I Setup our exchange server so we could us EAS for iPhones, and we enabled the PIN lock feature. Part of the exchange security policy is how often to require the phone asks for a PIN. it can be set any where from immediately to once a day. Ours is set for 30 minutes. That means if you unlock your phone, then turn off the screen, it will not require a PIN for 30 minutes.

Palm simply does not allow for this security policy. They ignore it, and lock your phone immediately. I have no problem typing a pin into my device at reasonable intervals, but not allowing all security policies is just a ****-poor implementation.

I have used this hack on my Pre temporarily until palm decides they want to fully support security policies. Just don't tell my boss.
    Whoo Hoo!!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adma84 View Post
    Two things everyone:

1. There is already a thread in Palm's forums on this, post your complaints here: turn Secure Unlock off - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
    2. More importantly, submit your complaint to Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA They are actually monitoring this and have been using the submitted feeback when considering which new features to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    So I am an IT guy, and Exchange Administrator and a Pre owner. I Setup our exchange server so we could us EAS for iPhones, and we enabled the PIN lock feature. Part of the exchange security policy is how often to require the phone asks for a PIN. it can be set any where from immediately to once a day. Ours is set for 30 minutes. That means if you unlock your phone, then turn off the screen, it will not require a PIN for 30 minutes.

Palm simply does not allow for this security policy. They ignore it, and lock your phone immediately. I have no problem typing a pin into my device at reasonable intervals, but not allowing all security policies is just a ****-poor implementation.

I have used this hack on my Pre temporarily until palm decides they want to fully support security policies. Just don't tell my boss.
    refer to my message above. Complain to Palm. Get this on the priority list!
    Call me crazy- but couldn't they require a pin to access the EAS email rather than lock the entire phone?

If I don't password protect my phone for MY data- that's my problem- but having work security for access on the phone should protect ONLY the work related information.
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    Call me crazy- but couldn't they require a pin to access the EAS email rather than lock the entire phone?

If I don't password protect my phone for MY data- that's my problem- but having work security for access on the phone should protect ONLY the work related information.
    That's how Exchange pin lock policy is defined. Exchange is used for provisioning the device, not just email. The assumption is that you might also be carrying confidential files and contacts, not just email.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Wow I just went through this whole post. Mainly due to the fact that my company is up grading there email servers tonight. I.T. called and gave me all the new info to get going in the morning. I am curious if any of you have talked to sprint in regards to this? Personally When I purchased my phone it worked and would have continued to work the way I bought it if palm had not changed it. Now that they have changed it I would not have purchased it. What is sprints stand point on this? Will they exchange if your out of your 30 days? does anyone know? This is very very unacceptable. I guess I`ll find out in the morning. I must say I refuse to enter a code every time. Theres a reason why we can log into palm and wipe are phones.It is called security! entering a code every 2 min is a nuisance.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liljohn View Post
    Wow I just went through this whole post. Mainly due to the fact that my company is up grading there email servers tonight. I.T. called and gave me all the new info to get going in the morning. I am curious if any of you have talked to sprint in regards to this? Personally When I purchased my phone it worked and would have continued to work the way I bought it if palm had not changed it. Now that they have changed it I would not have purchased it. What is sprints stand point on this? Will they exchange if your out of your 30 days? does anyone know? This is very very unacceptable. I guess I`ll find out in the morning. I must say I refuse to enter a code every time. Theres a reason why we can log into palm and wipe are phones.It is called security! entering a code every 2 min is a nuisance.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

We all need to complain.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Any new ideas how to implement a delay for the renewed PIN input? I don't want to disable it completely. Something like 20-30 minutes would be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Take few minutes and use this process I posted here. No need to downgrade -- 1.2.1 is great, don't miss out on the goodies when you can solve your problem with a few minutes worth of work.
    Has anyone tested this hack on webOS 1.4.1.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by wiscboy_2003 View Post
    Has anyone tested this hack on webOS 1.4.1.1?
    Well, it looks like this version is supported if you look at the top of this link:

dBsooner's webOS-Patches Web Portal
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123