Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For the record, I did the hack described in the link today, and then added my Exchange account back to the phone (deleted it after the PIN lock became active), and bam ... no more PIN lock. What IT doesn't know won't hurt them
    Quote Originally Posted by chad.birkholz View Post
    Maybe you should also step off your high horse for a second and come down to a level with the rest of us. In IT there is security and usability. If your data is that sensitive then why allow access to it on the phone in the first place? The 4 digit pin is the worst security feature anyway. How hard is it to root the phone and bypass that pin feature with a few code modifications?

Better yet as the IT Manager do you yourself have the pin feature enabled on your Pre? Or are you just the type to enforce and not follow your own rules? Palm could have done a much better job implementing the forced lock feature on this phone and did a terrible job with it. Have you tried to shut the alarm clock off at 5:30 in the morning by needing to type your pin in first!? Palm left us with no features outside of the lock unlike Win Mobile and iPhone. We also have no options for timeouts.

I am also in IT.. I understand what you are saying but the bigger picture that most IT guys forget the two points; there is security and there is usability. You need to give and take to make the system the most productive, useful but yet as secure as possible.... Palm isn't helping here with that one bit, so for now... I'm hacking.
    If you are in IT you should know why this policy is in place and why it shouldn't be circumvented. Entering the PIN takes less than a second. However Palm needs to implement a timeout feature like posted above (I had it with Good on my Centro) so you don't have to enter the PIN again if you just used the device a minute ago.

There is no high horse, only rules that need to be followed.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I don't really see the harm in removing the PIN lock. If you're careless enough to lose your phone, rescue is a remote wipe away. In all my years of owning cell phones, I've yet to lose one or have one stolen, so I feel completely comfortable in circumventing the PIN lock. And hey, it bugs the IT guys, so that's an added bonus
    I also work in IT and I understand the need for the lock but like most people have said the no timeout just instant lock is annoying. I downloaded a exchange client for my Hero yesterday and it is nice because it requires a Pin but just when I want to go check that email. Now that in my mind is very acceptable. But having to type a pin in every time i send a text or do anything on my phone is ridiculous.
    I agree with Cait about my phone is not a company owned phone. They would like me to be more productive when not in the office then help work with me on it... don't jam security measures down my throat, help me make my phone usable. At what point does the company decide how i use my own phone that I pay for?

snafu2dj also had a very good point... This is what really grinds my gears. EAS security is in place here at my company but for blackberry users... nothing. I guess can you seriously blame snafu2dj or myself for circumventing the pin lock when the blackberry users here don't have to have the same pin requirement? The company is contradicting itself and obviously doesn't take the requirement seriously anyway... so i feel no pain hacking.

jrstinkfish also has a good point. Who the heck looses their phone anyway? I understand... it can happen and if it does Palm offers a remote wipe from their website OR I can call my IT dept and its done.... quickly!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I spoke to Palm last night. After some searching on their site, I found a number. I spent over !!!2hours!!! on the phone with them working all the way up to a level 4 customer relations expert at Palm Corporate in CA with the assistance of a Chief Technician over there. They claim there is no higher up than them. They apologized for not being able to help me. Long story short... No matter how I present my issues and arguments, they say the fault resides on the server settings, and that Palm stands by their security enforcement measures that should have already been in place long before 1.2. Supposedly they had gotten many complaints that they weren't following the proper policies (even though no one else is either). I explained to them that at my company we have about 400 employees, most of which are using Blackberrys. I also found out and told him about the many of my co-workers that are currently using I-phones (which btw hold 40% of the market share and have no issues/complaints/lawsuits in regards to EAS security and/or enforcement; and i told him this). NONE OF THEM HAS TO USE A PASSWORD ON THEIR PHONES AT ALL WHATSOEVER AT ANY TIME, even the Iphone! There are 2 of us that I know of here with Pre's... So you mean to tell me that we are the only ones in the entire company that have to put up with this password nonsense??? So out of 400, 2 have to have this level of security??? His answers were very unsatisfactory nor helpful and he only defended Palm, ran in circles, and said I had to have my IT guy make changes to my specific account on the server settings (and btw, he is NOT a nice guy; me being nice). Granted, however, he did treat me with respect and dignity and remained very professional throughout the conversation. His name was Patrick if any of you get the chance to speak with him. Apparently we all need to call because he claims there aren't enough calls coming in about this for Palm/Pre to do anything about. Apparently, I'm one of the few that actually picked up the phone and had enough fortitude to stay on for over 2 hours and refuse to accept any help or answers from some joke at a call center that gets paid $12/hr to tell me nothing and, "report my feedback." I have the number direct to call the corp. headquarters in CA that Patrick gave me and will gladly post it later here along with Jon Rubinstein's (Palm CEO) email once I get home to where they are written down.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    For the record, I did the hack described in the link today, and then added my Exchange account back to the phone (deleted it after the PIN lock became active), and bam ... no more PIN lock. What IT doesn't know won't hurt them
    Btw... Where do I find that link??? And how do I do it???
    Just FYI, I am NOT the guy who came up with this -- someone way more clever than I am dug around and figured it out -- I've pimped it so much the past 24 hours that I don't want anyone to think I'm taking his credit! I'm just passing it on with the step-by-step method that worked for me. For some reason, linking to my post isn't working, so I'll paste it here:

Download and run the latest version of WebOS Quick Install.

From the WebOS Quick Install menu, choose "Receive File."

Paste this into the first text box: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/pin-assistant.jsjsjs

Then choose a destination for the file in the second text box.

Click the "Receive" button and in a second or two, it will tell you the transfer is done.

Go to wherever you chose to receive the file (BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILE BEFORE YOU MODIFY IT!!!), open it in a text editor (Notepad in Windows, TextEdit on a Mac).

If you don't have line numbers, just key down 32 lines until you see a line with the following: setup: function() {

Immediately after that line (or after the { if you want) paste this: this.unlock(); return;

Save the file, and then go back to WebOS Quick Install

This time choose "Send File"

In the first box, select the file you just modified

In the second box, paste this: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/

Click "Send" and when it's done, reboot your phone.

All those steps sound time consuming, but really, it'll take you only a minute or two. Hope this helps.
    The above worked for me. Thanks!
    Just FYI, I am NOT the guy who came up with this -- someone way more clever than I am dug around and figured it out -- I've pimped it so much the past 24 hours that I don't want anyone to think I'm taking his credit! I'm just passing it on with the step-by-step method that worked for me. For some reason, linking to my post isn't working, so I'll paste it here:

Download and run the latest version of WebOS Quick Install.

From the WebOS Quick Install menu, choose "Receive File."

Paste this into the first text box: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/pin-assistant.jsjsjs

Then choose a destination for the file in the second text box.

Click the "Receive" button and in a second or two, it will tell you the transfer is done.

Go to wherever you chose to receive the file (BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILE BEFORE YOU MODIFY IT!!!), open it in a text editor (Notepad in Windows, TextEdit on a Mac).

If you don't have line numbers, just key down 32 lines until you see a line with the following: setup: function() {

Immediately after that line (or after the { if you want) paste this: this.unlock(); return;

Save the file, and then go back to WebOS Quick Install

This time choose "Send File"

In the first box, select the file you just modified

In the second box, paste this: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/

Click "Send" and when it's done, reboot your phone.

All those steps sound time consuming, but really, it'll take you only a minute or two. Hope this helps.
    Totally worked for me as well. THANKS
    how exactly should this look?

like this "setup: function() {this.unlock(); return;" makes it so when I drag up to unlock or slide to unlock changes the screen but then does not allow any other input of any kind.
    how exactly should this look?

like this "setup: function() {this.unlock(); return;" makes it so when I drag up to unlock or slide to unlock changes the screen but then does not allow any other input of any kind.
    Is this considered a patch? Will it need to be undone before the next update?
    I hate logging in with a password. So, I downgraded back to 1.1 after 1.2. Then when 1.2.1 came out I thought, fine, I can handle entering a PIN number. I upgraded to 1.2.1 and I still have to enter a password. This seems like a deal breaker to me. This has significantly changed the functionality of my phone. I have to enter a 8-digit password to reply to a text message? That's asinine!!

And I'm not going to ask my IT department to change the security settings on the server. No other phones require a server change so why does the Pre?

It looks like I'm going back to 1.1.

I tried the solution above but I didn't get it to work. It's probably my fault. I installed Web OS Quick Install but it's not recognizing my device. I'm so annoyed.
    Last edited by dreis; 10/04/2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added more info
    I didn't remove it for this most recent update, but you will need to re-do after an update.

And Mega, that looks right ... my javascript isn't all that, but try either adding a space after the {, or just adding a new line after it and putting the new code there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreis View Post
    I hate logging in with a password. So, I downgraded back to 1.1 after 1.2. Then when 1.2.1 came out I thought, fine, I can handle entering a PIN number. I upgraded to 1.2.1 and I still have to enter a password. This seems like a deal breaker to me. This has significantly changed the functionality of my phone. I have to enter a 8-digit password to reply to a text message? That's asinine!!

And I'm not going to ask my IT department to change the security settings on the server. No other phones require a server change so why does the Pre?

It looks like I'm going back to 1.1.
    Take few minutes and use this process I posted here. No need to downgrade -- 1.2.1 is great, don't miss out on the goodies when you can solve your problem with a few minutes worth of work.
    So, I followed all of the steps. I think I modified right, but I still have the pin lock. I put my phone in developer mode and hit "just charge" when I plugged into the computer. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by totally lost View Post
    So, I followed all of the steps. I think I modified right, but I still have the pin lock. I put my phone in developer mode and hit "just charge" when I plugged into the computer. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?
    really make sure that when you send the modd'ed file back to the phone that you type the path correctly. Not doing so will still send the file to the phone, it will just be in the wrong place.
    Do you need to remove the exchange account, then re-add it?
    Take few minutes and use this process I posted here. No need to downgrade -- 1.2.1 is great, don't miss out on the goodies when you can solve your problem with a few minutes worth of work.
    Thanks for the reply jrstinkfish. I tried it once and I couldn't get it to work. But, I followed the steps here plus the instructions you listed and now it works. This is much better.

Thanks for your help.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast