Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 193
  1. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #1  
    USB Standards Group: OK for iTunes to Block Palm Pre | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

    An unfortunate decision on the part of the USB-IF.

    My guess is that Palm has re-enabled functionality in 1.2 (The all thingsD post almost confirms it). I bet Palm will proceed regardless of what the USB-IF says.
  2. #2  
    I'm tired of this back & forth regarding iTunes sync. Palm, we love you and all...But get some of your team off their butts & make your own media program. Let the hackers enable iTunes sync via a 3rd party app.
    Follow Me On

  3. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I'm tired of this back & forth regarding iTunes sync. Palm, we love you and all...But get some of your team off their butts & make your own media program. Let the hackers enable iTunes sync via a 3rd party app.
    I disagree with you and agree with Palm on the fundamental outlook that folks should have freedom and choice in how and where they use the non-rights managed media they already own.
  4. #4  
    Was it really a surprise? They are playing games using Apples Vendor ID and wasting time by fighting it with USB-IF.

    They just need to come up with a their own syncing solution that you already see out there. They are wasting time trying to tie up with iTunes directly.

    Stuff like this and some other things make me wonder about Rubinstein

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    USB Standards Group: OK for iTunes to Block Palm Pre | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

    An unfortunate decision on the part of the USB-IF.

    My guess is that Palm has re-enabled functionality in 1.2 (The all thingsD post almost confirms it). I bet Palm will proceed regardless of what the USB-IF says.
  5. nowise's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #5  
    I would rather Palm spend more time and money working on the core OS than the ability to sync with iTunes anyway. There is still much work to be done.
  6. #6  
    Songbird sync please
  7. #7  
    Why use iTunes anyway? Can't you sync the Pre with Windows Media Player and use songs off that?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    Why use iTunes anyway? Can't you sync the Pre with Windows Media Player and use songs off that?
    No support for .wma. Other than that, though.
  9. #9  
    This is unfortunate. I agree with Xyg. If I buy music from Apple, it's on my hard drive and technically I could drag and drop it onto my Pre, but it's all cryptic, so it's hard to figure out what I've got where. Apple has made it difficult to use my music anywhere I want.

    Having said that, this looks like a dead end for Palm now. If they've figured out how to make the Pre sync with iTunes again in 1.2, they now have to decide whether they are going to provide it directly as before in violation of the USB-IF (which has only the power to deny them a sticker), or whether to drop the direct sync and provide some other solution. They pretty much have to provide some way to sync music with iTunes because they've set up the expectation in their customers' minds that the Pre will be able to do so. This now becomes a mess.

    However, as my belief is that the original motivation for the whole thing was more driven by the publicity the cat and mouse game would create, it may still have a little life left in it. A little more scandal would actually up the ante a bit, I think.

    I would like a solution that Apple can't break, whether directly syncing or with a plug-in ala Blackberry. Whatever it is, Palm has made me want it. Otherwise I'll be forced to use doubletwist or something, and that's a little less attractive.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  10. #10  
    Another reason to not like Apple products.
  11. #11  
    Abstract: what he said^

    full version:
    Palm is making the point that a software solution should be just that, a software solution that doesnt need proprietary hardware to make use of it. I can attach any number of printers to my computer, and they will print. I can put any brand of tire on my car, and they roll. Why do I need an APPLE piece of hardware to use apple software? This is the biggest reason I have never been attracted to the fruity brand. I get locked into THEIR hardware/software and cannot do much else outside their world. Now, if their business model were better, there would be a large price savings because of all the development they avoid by not having to develop an 'open' platform that has some measure of robust interaction with other devices. Instead, we get to pay bloated prices due to the reduced demand caused by the highly proprietary nature of the system.

    Palm has no say in how apple should model their business, nor any ground to stand on to object to not being 'allowed' to sync with iTunes. They DO, however, have the ability to influence consumers to demand apple be more open about what kind of device they can sync to. We tech geeks are all knowing about the real reasons that our Pre cant sync with iTunes any longer, but the lay customer will only know that "hey, apple is screwing with my ability to put music on my phone! apple blows!". Others may try to inform them, but their opinion is likely to be that they should be able to put their music on whatever they damn well please. Or at least I can see this vein of logic within the Palm developers.

    So in all honesty, its likely a passive-aggressive protest of apples proprietary nature that will also result in publicity for Palm's hardware (and company).
  12. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Abstract: what he said^

    full version:
    Palm is making the point that a software solution should be just that, a software solution that doesnt need proprietary hardware to make use of it. I can attach any number of printers to my computer, and they will print. I can put any brand of tire on my car, and they roll. Why do I need an APPLE piece of hardware to use apple software? This is the biggest reason I have never been attracted to the fruity brand. I get locked into THEIR hardware/software and cannot do much else outside their world. Now, if their business model were better, there would be a large price savings because of all the development they avoid by not having to develop an 'open' platform that has some measure of robust interaction with other devices. Instead, we get to pay bloated prices due to the reduced demand caused by the highly proprietary nature of the system.

    Palm has no say in how apple should model their business, nor any ground to stand on to object to not being 'allowed' to sync with iTunes. They DO, however, have the ability to influence consumers to demand apple be more open about what kind of device they can sync to. We tech geeks are all knowing about the real reasons that our Pre cant sync with iTunes any longer, but the lay customer will only know that "hey, apple is screwing with my ability to put music on my phone! apple blows!". Others may try to inform them, but their opinion is likely to be that they should be able to put their music on whatever they damn well please. Or at least I can see this vein of logic within the Palm developers.

    So in all honesty, its likely a passive-aggressive protest of apples proprietary nature that will also result in publicity for Palm's hardware (and company).
    Nonsense, why don't you try using a Cannon printer with HP software for their printers and see how well that works out for you.
  13. #13  
    Good points on both sides... but it will hurt Apple for being propriatary ******s and not letting other products sync with an unfortunately popular media application they produce.

    Very Sony-like.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Another reason to not like Apple products.
    I tried so hard not to spew berry juice on my lovely computer screen when i saw this.

    Yes, yes, a Palm Pre that cannot sync to iTunes is "another reason to not like Apple products"... That makes a lot of sense, doood.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is unfortunate. I agree with Xyg. If I buy music from Apple, it's on my hard drive and technically I could drag and drop it onto my Pre, but it's all cryptic, so it's hard to figure out what I've got where. Apple has made it difficult to use my music anywhere I want.

    Having said that, this looks like a dead end for Palm now. If they've figured out how to make the Pre sync with iTunes again in 1.2, they now have to decide whether they are going to provide it directly as before in violation of the USB-IF (which has only the power to deny them a sticker), or whether to drop the direct sync and provide some other solution. They pretty much have to provide some way to sync music with iTunes because they've set up the expectation in their customers' minds that the Pre will be able to do so. This now becomes a mess.

    However, as my belief is that the original motivation for the whole thing was more driven by the publicity the cat and mouse game would create, it may still have a little life left in it. A little more scandal would actually up the ante a bit, I think.

    I would like a solution that Apple can't break, whether directly syncing or with a plug-in ala Blackberry. Whatever it is, Palm has made me want it. Otherwise I'll be forced to use doubletwist or something, and that's a little less attractive.
    How in the world does Apple make it difficult to use your music anywhere you want? Surely it can't be the DRM-free music that are conveniently downloaded to your Music folder in another folder aptly called iTunes all nicely organizized for you..?

    Maybe if Palm developed their own media sync app....just maybe...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  16. #16  
    Good for the USB-IF. Shame on Palm for wasting (obviously limited) developer time trying to disguise their phone as something it is not. Move on Ruby - grow a pair and write your own software - stop suckling off of your former employer.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I tried so hard not to spew berry juice on my lovely computer screen when i saw this.

    Yes, yes, a Palm Pre that cannot sync to iTunes is "another reason to not like Apple products"... That makes a lot of sense, doood.
    I was more referring to their actively blocking other devices from syncing with their software and then crying to the USB-IF about it.
  18. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #18  
    I think you guys are missing the point. You buy a Palm device, and it's Palm's responsibility to enable you use your media.

    What if there was no Apple and no iTunes but you had a slew of MP3 and AAC music files on your computer? Would you hold a grudge against the companies that sold you the music just because Palm has no sync solution for the device you bought?

    I'm sorry, this is Palm's problem and they need to nut up and handle it. The iTunes music library has an open, public API; any third party can access it and allow the media sync with their device. I think it's ridiculous for Palm to think they can just rip off the iTunes app, which Apple developed for their own devices.
  19. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #19  
    Reached for comment, Palm had only this to say: “We engaged with the USB-IF because we believe consumers should have freedom and choice in how and where they use the non-rights managed media they already own. We are reviewing the letter from the USB-IF and will respond as appropriate.”
    See, this is the problem. Palm is correct in their assertion, with emphasis on media. But I think they are confused about the difference between the iTunes app and media, or they are purposely trying to blur the difference.

    Apple is not preventing access to the media. There is an open published API that any company can use to access the media from their device. All Apple is doing is preventing Palm from coming along and ripping off Apple's own custom software solution and using it on their competing device.
  20. #20  
    Interesting article on the AP about the pre / itunes syncing. What a waste.

    Link below.

    The Associated Press: Industry group: OK for iTunes to block Palm Pre
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions