Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    IN CASE THE USB GROUP FORBIDS PRE FROM USING ITUNES ONCE AND FOR ALL?
    Excitable much?

The USB-IF is neither a legislative, regulatory, nor a judicial body. They have absolutely no authority and hence no ability to "forbid" Palm from doing anything.

If they get really irritated, they can demand that Palm remove the USB logo from the Pre's box. That's it.

Palm's pushing the iTunes issue because they believe that Apple is also powerless to stop this. If Apple takes Palm to court for spoofing the iPod, one very likely outcome is that, in appeals, the court will order Apple to completely open the iTunes software to all competitors. With a >90% market share, it's no stretch to argue that Apple has a monopoly on the digital media market and is using their market dominance to suppress competition.

Calm down, mind the caps lock, and try enjoying this entertaining little cat-and-mouse game. It's fun to watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And most of these tech sites think Palm needed to do their own thing.

How is this positive free press for Palm? I was all over the Pre in the beginning, but the first time i heard about itunes sync and how Palm achieved it, i was pretty disappointed in Palm.

It's like the person who starts clapping hoping that others join in. Sometimes noone joins in and the person instead looks like an *****.
    You're right--mostly it isn't positive, except that everyone is saying Palm has some pretty large stones to try to take on Apple this way. Most do seem to agree that Palm should now drop this.

But all publicity is good publicity. You might think the person in the back looks like an *****, but at least you know who he is.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    But you bought a Pre. I think Pre owners would have understood from the get go that a Palm product might not be directly compatible with a non-Palm product (doesnt have to be just itunes). But as a consumer you hope that Palm would come up with an alternate solution. But they had to be cute and show how it they got it to pretend to be an iPod and made it a selling point themselves.

Third party solutions show they can develop their own solution. They should.

They should also build on it and make it a full management solution for the Pre... calendar, contacts, hold all the apps on file for backups and restore. Something cool too would be what Apple did for iPhones and allow app management as far arranging icons on the phone, etc.

Why use itunes? Why limit yourself when you can create something I mentioned above for your own product... that can be used across all future phone models that come out like Pixi and whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The real problem here isn't that Pre's may not work with itunes. The problem here is that people use itunes. That's the problem I'd like to see addressed most of all.
    Commodore Norrington: You are possibly the worst pirate I have ever heard of.

Captain Jack Sparrow: But you have heard of me?
    iTunes detractors:
    You guys just don't get it. The mass market uses iTunes. It's a fact of life. Palm would like webOS and the Pre to have mass market appeal. Therefore, the Pre needs to use iTunes. For most people, iTunes syncing is equivalent to the ability to use music on your phone. Palm could provide an application that mediates, but I think iTunes is a must one way or the other. Like it or not, drag and drop is not easy enough for most people, and most people will not look for other music solutions.

Oh yeah, and the free publicity is good too.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    [QUOTE=jbg7474;1914192]You're right--mostly it isn't positive, except that everyone is saying Palm has some pretty large stones to try to take on Apple this way. Most do seem to agree that Palm should now drop this.

But all publicity is good publicity. You might think the person in the back looks like an *****, but at least you know who he is.[/QUOTE]

I agree...we all know who the ***** is in this case. But does Palm want to remain one???
    [QUOTE=jbg7474;1914246]iTunes detractors:
    You guys just don't get it. The mass market uses iTunes. It's a fact of life. Palm would like webOS and the Pre to have mass market appeal. Therefore, the Pre needs to use iTunes. For most people, iTunes syncing is equivalent to the ability to use music on your phone. Palm could provide an application that mediates, but I think iTunes is a must one way or the other. Like it or not, drag and drop is not easy enough for most people, and most people will not look for other music solutions.

Oh yeah, and the free publicity is good too.[/QUOTE]

...and doing things illegally or unethically is good too...

...my neighbor has the biggest house on the block. Everyone wants to live there but he does not want to sell or rent it....I think I'll squat there tonight...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Because Palm understands what so many of you don't: users don't want another media management app. Most people have already selected one by now, whether it's WMP, songbird, or (in most cases) iTunes. Our libraries are set up, our playlists are set up, and we don't want to lose that work and have to use a different program just for our cell phone. What happens when we change phones in 1-2 years, you want us to change back?

Not to mention, iTunes is at version 9. Apple has had years and years to get it right and to figure out what people want. You think Palm, with extremely limited resources and talent, can make a full featured media player and sync solution right now? Do you think that's what they ought to be doing with their time? I hope not.
    Most people have selected phones that weren't webOS by now. Yet here Palm is hoping people will buy their Pre or Pixi. Why bother though? Other companies like Apple have had years to figure out what people want in a phone.

Do you think Palm should even be wasting their very limited time and resources making phones right now or developing yet another mobile OS? I hope not.

In case you didn't get it, i'm kidding. But what i'm not kidding about is that I would rather see Palm come up with their own "newness" of syncing media. Sure, i could get itunes..many use it. Or i could get an iphone (but already have one) as many use it. But for the same reason people actually do prefer the Pre, maybe..just maybe..those same people might prefer Palm's take on their version of "itunes" that would provide a full user experience for webOS devices.

And it goes without saying again, there is a revenue stream there to be had for Palm for directing (soon to be) millions of users to a specific store (or willing partner) such as amazon for media. Why give those millions of users to Apple's itunes store and for free??
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    But you bought a Pre. I think Pre owners would have understood from the get go that a Palm product might not be directly compatible with a non-Palm product (doesnt have to be just itunes). But as a consumer you hope that Palm would come up with an alternate solution. But they had to be cute and show how it they got it to pretend to be an iPod and made it a selling point themselves.

They should also build on it and make it a full management solution for the Pre... calendar, contacts, hold all the apps on file for backups and restore. Something cool too would be what Apple did for iPhones and allow app management as far arranging icons on the phone, etc.

Why use itunes? Why limit yourself when you can create something I mentioned above for your own product... that can be used across all future phone models that come out like Pixi and whatever.
    The alternate solution is to use any other music program out there, because they will all work with the Pre just fine.

People CHOOSE to use itunes. People CHOOSE to stay with itunes. Those people shouldn't expect any other device but Apple devices to work with itunes. If they didn't know that's how Apple operates, they know now. But that's part of the choice in using itunes, or any Apple product.

I have no sympathy. People that chose Apple products can't expect to be able to use other products with Apple products, that's part of the "benefit" of using Apple products.

My hope is that people wake up from their itunes slumber and get a real music program that works like a real music program is meant to.
  10. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Then why not use the existing 'Palm Desktop'? It syncs Calendar events, Contacts, Tasks, Memos and Media. It even allowed third party pass-through with conduits.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    iTunes detractors:

Oh yeah, and the free publicity is good too.
    Parsing the iTunes XML file is trivial work. The fact the Palm didn't develop their own solution led me to believe they don't have the resources to devote to the task.

I agree about iTunes market appeal. I've used it for years after most of the 'other' MMS (i.e. MusicMatch) had fallen off. iTunes may seem bloated but it has continued in development and it handles large libraries well. I couldn't imagine managing my family's (adults & children) music, videos, movies, audiobooks etc. without it. It was very good software before I even had a portable Apple product.

My hope is that people wake up from their itunes slumber and get a real music program that works like a real music program is meant to.
    And how would that be?
    Last edited by fid; 09/23/2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: response
    Agreed. But I really think an entire management package is best for Palm. Blackberry has theres.

And I was thinking of another great feature besides managing and storing apps...

That when sync'd you can have full access to the apps on your desktop and run them from your desktop console. I have so many cool apps like my Etrade or iPortfolio or BeeJive that it would be cool to hook up and while it's charging have the convenience of a larger screen and run them on my desktop.

I don't think another phone has that feature. Come to think of it, I hope Apple does that with iTunes in the future

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The real problem here isn't that Pre's may not work with itunes. The problem here is that people use itunes. That's the problem I'd like to see addressed most of all.
    exactly.
    Basically what you are asking for is a desktop app that basically does a kind of synergy with all the media on your computer for your Pre. It's a swell idea but as others have said, I don't think they have the resources for it. Their best hope is to adopt a program from someone else that does that.
    Agreed. But I really think an entire management package is best for Palm. Blackberry has theres.

And I was thinking of another great feature besides managing and storing apps...

That when sync'd you can have full access to the apps on your desktop and run them from your desktop console. I have so many cool apps like my Etrade or iPortfolio or BeeJive that it would be cool to hook up and while it's charging have the convenience of a larger screen and run them on my desktop.

I don't think another phone has that feature. Come to think of it, I hope Apple does that with iTunes in the future
    Your quoting ability is sub par.

[QUOTE]I'm an *****.
    uh... ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Your quoting ability is sub par.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    ...my neighbor has the biggest house on the block. Everyone wants to live there but he does not want to sell or rent it....I think I'll squat there tonight...
    Well that's a stretch.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sorry, i've not seen one. I have seen the ones with the weird chick. Surely you don't mean those?

BTW..do you really believe the 2.5 hours thing? Pump out that minor update then. Palm's mainstream customers are sitting in the dark wondering why their damn Pre won't sync.
    Cardfan,
    This time it will be sensitive.
    My 2 cents , PALM should make their own sync solution.

Or a document to explain the mainstream folks on how to drop the music in the folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Drag and drop.
    So old school.. Don't you think...
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    I have been an AVID Mac fan for a few years...that is waning now...a LOT. I used to LOVE iTunes but over the past years, it has steadily become heavier & more bloated. Now it focuses on EVERYTHING OTHER THAN MUSIC!!! It can't even sort music in what I think is an easier, more efficient way!

So...any OS X iTunes alternatives????
    I use songbird on my mac
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I couldn't care less about itunes. Really don't understand why palm keeps trying to make the phone sync with it.
    Because you're one person and they are trying to entice the millions of iTunes users that may want to buy their phone.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast