Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Free press?

The only press i'm seeing is that Palm was told they were in the wrong. The only other press is in the tech news which isn't exactly mainstream.

Will this inspire anyone to buy a Pre? No.

I'm watching Heroes the other night (don't ask me why) and i see the giant Pre in the episode on the Hiro parts. While forwarding through commercials, i see several Apple iphone commericals that again detail what people want and shows off its strengths.

Which do you think will inspire people to buy?

Honestly, whenever i talk to someone interested in a new phone, they'll ask me...does the Pre have internet? Can it play songs?

You can't convince me otherwise that if Palm/Sprint had marketed the Pre in a normal manner, then sales would be much higher. Palm took an overcreative bizarre approach, and Sprint took the ADD approach. Neither effort shows the mainstream what the Pre can actually do.

Meanwhile, Apple continues to show only the iphone, its screen being the star as they highlight certain features. This is the stuff that wows the mainstream users.

Palm could do the same but chooses not to. The funny part is that the Pre may be more of a wow factor (webOS) than the iphone. Especially given that the iphone's icons screen is starting to look dated.
    Palm chooses not to? They have plenty of commercials that show off the features. Your entire post was nothing but a tangent, with nothing to do with the thread at hand. You can't convince me that 2.5 hours is too much time wasted on iTunes sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Free press?

The only press i'm seeing is that Palm was told they were in the wrong. The only other press is in the tech news which isn't exactly mainstream.
    Then you need to open your eyes, if that is the only press you are seeing. Tech sites, podcasts, video streams, and other outlets that get to the tech crowd see this and understand it. Nothing wrong with targeting the audience who is typically the early adopters.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    yea, lets just keep looking at the tailights of apple.PALM MOVE ON!
    but fetishes are hot
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    The fact that we and the media are still talking about this is proof that Palm's stradegy is achieving it's goal of getting attention. The reality is that 1) more options always better than less, 2) if apple thought they could sue for any compensation or for Palm to cease it's activities legally they would have, and 3) it's already been rumored that when this becomes an excessively labor intensive "fix" then they will stop. By then hopefully they will have some app that apple can't disable and this will all go away. And by the way, apple isn't the pretty popular girl it's more like the so so looking rich girl that your willing to overlook her flaws to play with all her expensive toys.
    I have been an AVID Mac fan for a few years...that is waning now...a LOT. I used to LOVE iTunes but over the past years, it has steadily become heavier & more bloated. Now it focuses on EVERYTHING OTHER THAN MUSIC!!! It can't even sort music in what I think is an easier, more efficient way!

So...any OS X iTunes alternatives????
    If you don't like the thread - Don't read it!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Another reason to not like Apple products.
    ??

Palm is clearly in the wrong here.

They need to just release a tiny program to copy files and playlists from iTunes to the Pre, just like RIM did months ago. They dont have 1/10 the resources they need to fight Apple on this, it is time to stop this embarrassing spat and move on with making their own platform the best it can be.
  8. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've been following this on the sidelines now for quite some time and simply wanted to throw a couple of points in. It was the 'spoofing' of the USB-ID that helped turned me AWAY from the Pre. (Wish I could provide link of what it was like at the time, but post count is too low)

- Palm could have licensed iTune access like RIM does with with their devices or simply used the xml export file. When I first read this, I realized that ONLY Pre owners would be hurt.

- Additionally, I couldn't understand why a company that had a stable, mature desktop sync product of their own (for years) didn't provide it for the Pre. The Palm Desktop synced everything well and could have been easily altered to interface with the iTunes xml file.

'Couldn't understand' was entirely correct. I knew what was going on. This product became more about cutting corners and it was becoming painfully clear.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Why do I need an iPod or other crapple hardware to use their software? Last time I opened iTunes, I was hit with ads, and other marketing info that Im sure Apple is using to help fund the software, in addition to the sales they make through it. So, using iTunes to sync to ANY other device shouldnt be a problem, but Apple doesnt like that - you have to pay them to be able to link into their software. Its anti-competitive.

The apple fan bois dont seem to understand that iTunes is nothing more than a repository, a library, a keeper of playlists and a portal to a webstore. If it only interfaces with a single piece of hardware, or a hardware family than its crippled, and IMO useless. What Palm is trying to do is paint Apple as the bad guy, and it will likely work.

"Hey, I can use iTunes with my Pre again, awesome.. oh wait, apple released an update and now I cant.. Damn you apple!" Palm isnt going to look bad to the lay person. By toying in this cat and mouse game, Palm will likely get more people to change to another program, than if they merely 'wrote an app' or did nothing about iTunes sync. This is in Palm's best interest for many a reason, no matter if you agree or not.

iTunes is what it is, I could care less if Apple ever changes it; Im already convinced that Apple is the spawn of satan, and that belief is hard coded into my DNA. Flame away :P.

What so many fail to recognize is that tech people have been trying to keep the market OPEN to keep as large a customer base as possible. Competition is good for us, but Apple doesnt want competition. They want to be THE ONE.

Why ANYONE wouldnt want Apple to make it that much easier for ANY device to sync is beyond me.

Don't you understand that the iTunes music library (not the app) is based on an open, published API that uses an XML directory? I don't see how it could be any more open or accessible. You can completely delete the iTunes app from your computer and still have full access to the library, with published open standards no less.

Seriously, I am not a genius, but if some company sells me music and then offers an open, published API based on the well known XML standard, I think that's pretty transparent. A caveman could figure it out.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    You do realize that you have to license the ability to sync, and advertise that capability? Licensing costs are never cheap, and would likely be a per-sale price. Ridiculous.
    That is totally incorrect. Anyone can access the XML database freely.
    ISN'T THERE A FREE 3RD PARY WORK AROUND IN CASE THE USB GROUP FORBIDS PRE FROM USING ITUNES ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Apple now has the support of a USB industry standards group in its battle to keep the Palm Pre from using the iTunes music service.

The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) said in a statement Tuesday that Apple can block the Pre from connecting to iTunes. The group issued a letter to both companies warning Palm that further attempts to use iTunes would violate the group's policy.

The voice of the USB-IF is strong in this case since the group is responsible for issuing Apple the hardware vendor ID that lets its devices connect to iTunes via USB. Palm has used this process to its advantage by simulating the same ID for the Palm Pre, tricking iTunes into thinking the Pre is an Apple device.

That scheme worked until the recent release of iTunes 9, which broke the Pre's access, prompting Palm to complain to the USB-IF that the vendor ID blocks competitors.

But the group supported Apple's stance and cautioned Palm by letter that any further attempts to use the code would be a violation of its rules.

In its initial complaint, Palm told the USB-IF that the latest update of its WebOS would restore iTunes functionality to the Pre. In response, the USB-IF quoted policy and reminded Palm that it may use only its own issued vendor IDs, not those of any other company. The group asked Palm to clarify its intentions within seven days.

Palm and Apple were not immediately available for comment.

Even before the Palm Pre was released in June, people discovered that the device could connect to iTunes. Since then, Palm and Apple have fought a tug-of-war over iTunes access. Apple has issued various iTunes updates to block non-Apple devices, triggering Palm to find a way past them. Despite not-so-subtle warnings from Apple, Palm has remained persistent.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Drag and Drop, my friend. Drag and drop.

It is not worth playing the game. It is fun to watch, though. Kinda like pig wrestling.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Drag and Drop, my friend. Drag and drop.
    Or Winamp
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    ISN'T THERE A FREE 3RD PARY WORK AROUND IN CASE THE USB GROUP FORBIDS PRE FROM USING ITUNES ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Apple now has the support of a USB industry standards group in its battle to keep the Palm Pre from using the iTunes music service.

The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) said in a statement Tuesday that Apple can block the Pre from connecting to iTunes. The group issued a letter to both companies warning Palm that further attempts to use iTunes would violate the group's policy.

The voice of the USB-IF is strong in this case since the group is responsible for issuing Apple the hardware vendor ID that lets its devices connect to iTunes via USB. Palm has used this process to its advantage by simulating the same ID for the Palm Pre, tricking iTunes into thinking the Pre is an Apple device.

That scheme worked until the recent release of iTunes 9, which broke the Pre's access, prompting Palm to complain to the USB-IF that the vendor ID blocks competitors.

But the group supported Apple's stance and cautioned Palm by letter that any further attempts to use the code would be a violation of its rules.

In its initial complaint, Palm told the USB-IF that the latest update of its WebOS would restore iTunes functionality to the Pre. In response, the USB-IF quoted policy and reminded Palm that it may use only its own issued vendor IDs, not those of any other company. The group asked Palm to clarify its intentions within seven days.

Palm and Apple were not immediately available for comment.

Even before the Palm Pre was released in June, people discovered that the device could connect to iTunes. Since then, Palm and Apple have fought a tug-of-war over iTunes access. Apple has issued various iTunes updates to block non-Apple devices, triggering Palm to find a way past them. Despite not-so-subtle warnings from Apple, Palm has remained persistent.
    I'm guessing, if it took them longer this time to do, that they found a way around it without using the code. I could be way wrong, but thats just my guess.
    What is the bid deal with itunes anyway? Another vote for drag and drop. Apple's "proprietary attitude" is becoming worse than PC's "I'm the big guy" persona.
    I think Palm probably has found a better way of doing the sync...BUT the hassle they have created for Apple is priceless, Apple might end up cutting off support of other USB devices by accident and ****ing off other companies. This is where I think Palm is really heading....to where Apple is shown to be the bully and intentionally hurting other companies by forcing its products on people.

Sound familiar....MS had lawsuits on them about some of the same type ideas.

I think Palm should continue...finally show everyone that Apple isn't the peachy perfect business model that everyone is brainwashed to beleive.

Palm is fully capable of producing their own stuff...when it is time to do so, and they will after they finish dicking around with Apple.

GO PALM!!!
    or don't update itunes... personally I think the itunes 6ish era was when itunes was actually usable... back before they **** blocked the world from using DAAP to access itunes music shares
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I just want to know how many of these threads are going to be opened up when in the last 543,748 of them all the free and pay alternatives to iTunes have already been discussed ad nauseam.
    Quote Originally Posted by loupy View Post
    I just want to know how many of these threads are going to be opened up when in the last 543,748 of them all the free and pay alternatives to iTunes have already been discussed ad nauseam.
    At least three more.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i don't sync my pre that often but i just downgrade to a working version and sync then upgrade back to the latest version. its maybe a 5 minute process.