Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 193
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by loupy View Post
    You can sync the Pre with Songbird using the iPod plugin. However, the iPod plugin for Songbird does not have the ability to sync album art.

    I tried songbird - it's bloatware.
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #62  
    Pre: Hey itunes

    itunes: Talk to the hand B**ch.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Because Palm understands what so many of you don't: users don't want another media management app. Most people have already selected one by now, whether it's WMP, songbird, or (in most cases) iTunes. Our libraries are set up, our playlists are set up, and we don't want to lose that work and have to use a different program just for our cell phone. What happens when we change phones in 1-2 years, you want us to change back?
    There appears to be some confusion about the difference between a public utility and a private utility. iTunes isn't a public utility, it's private, proprietary software. There are ample appropriate means for accomplishing what Palm is too lazy/overwhelmed/unskilled/selfish/arrogant (pick one or more) to accomplish on their own. There are decent free and pay capabilities in the marketplace that accomplish what Palm is trying to do in an underhanded fashion - I'll bet anyone of them would be willing to enter into a business arrangement with Palm. Palm needs to get over their underdog syndrome and stop pretending to be victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Not to mention, iTunes is at version 9. Apple has had years and years to get it right and to figure out what people want. You think Palm, with extremely limited resources and talent, can make a full featured media player and sync solution right now? Do you think that's what they ought to be doing with their time? I hope not.
    I don't know how to build a car - can I use your car, without your permission, because clearly whoever built it has many more years of experience building it than I do? How about if a friend of mine makes me a false ID that matches your ID so the police won't know I'm not you if I get pulled over?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish
    What so many fail to recognize is that tech people have been trying to keep the market OPEN to keep as large a customer base as possible. Competition is good for us, but Apple doesnt want competition. They want to be THE ONE.
    I love this line of argument. Because Apple doesn't donate, for free, to whomever wants it, the software Apple built to support Apple's own product lines that's anti-competitive? What's stopping another company, like say ... PALM, from developing their own software/hardware system that does the very same thing as the iPod/iTunes combo to compete with Apple? (hint: Nothing) Just because a company is incapable of competing with another company do to incompetence/poor product line/laziness/martyr syndrome/underdog syndrome/cheapness (pick one or more) doesn't mean the playing field should be leveled for them. Do you make more many than me? Will you pay me the difference please? I'm unable to earn more on my own merits.
  4. #64  
    I couldn't care less about itunes. Really don't understand why palm keeps trying to make the phone sync with it.
  5. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    That's a poor analogy and you know it.
    Why don't you explain so smart ***?
  6. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    I can (and have) installed many a printer without the need for 'software'. Drivers yes, but not a software to run it. When I buy a car, I dont need to get tires, oil, and air filters at the dealer - I can get them any number of places. Why quote my entire post if you didnt read the whole thing?

    Why do I need an iPod or other crapple hardware to use their software? Last time I opened iTunes, I was hit with ads, and other marketing info that Im sure Apple is using to help fund the software, in addition to the sales they make through it. So, using iTunes to sync to ANY other device shouldnt be a problem, but Apple doesnt like that - you have to pay them to be able to link into their software. Its anti-competitive.

    The apple fan bois dont seem to understand that iTunes is nothing more than a repository, a library, a keeper of playlists and a portal to a webstore. If it only interfaces with a single piece of hardware, or a hardware family than its crippled, and IMO useless. What Palm is trying to do is paint Apple as the bad guy, and it will likely work.

    "Hey, I can use iTunes with my Pre again, awesome.. oh wait, apple released an update and now I cant.. Damn you apple!" Palm isnt going to look bad to the lay person. By toying in this cat and mouse game, Palm will likely get more people to change to another program, than if they merely 'wrote an app' or did nothing about iTunes sync. This is in Palm's best interest for many a reason, no matter if you agree or not.

    iTunes is what it is, I could care less if Apple ever changes it; Im already convinced that Apple is the spawn of satan, and that belief is hard coded into my DNA. Flame away :P.

    What so many fail to recognize is that tech people have been trying to keep the market OPEN to keep as large a customer base as possible. Competition is good for us, but Apple doesnt want competition. They want to be THE ONE.

    Why ANYONE wouldnt want Apple to make it that much easier for ANY device to sync is beyond me. Sure, its their software, they developed it, but its nothing much fancier than any other media player thats been around - they just put a couple of scripts into it that give some nice features via sync. The music store is where they spent their development, the front-side player/delivery method isnt all that special in comparison. Putting music onto a usb device isnt rocket surgery, and there is NO need to keep it proprietary, but Apple insists on it, and insists that if you're anyone but apple, that you need to jump through additional hoops to allow a user to put their music anywhere but on an apple device. How would you feel if you had to use a different file explorer for every different brand of thumb drive? Its the same thing.

    There's no reason Palm should write their own iTunes. There are other places to get music, and the market is pretty well tapped by current solutions. Many users already have their libraries setup in their choice of program: most of which will sync directly to anything. So why would they want to write their own sync interface? So you can redo all that hard work of setting up your playlists, libraries, and what-not in ANOTHER software? BS.

    If an update from Apple just happened to break the sync capability of the Pre, fine - palm would fix it and the world would go back to normal. But Apple is evil, and must stop any effort by someone to make their device friendly to people who happen to use Apple soft/hardware.
    What a load of drivel, I didn't bother reading the rest after you start using "crapple". Grow up!
  7. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    The better argument would be why is Palm not spending all this time, effort and energy they seem to have into developing their own media management software. You say that licensing costs are never cheap, so would developing your own app not solve that? Plus iTunes mainly syncing with iPods didn't just fall out of the sky yesterday, it's the norm.

    Why aren't you this vocal that the Pre doesn't sync with Zune software? Surely i might want to enjoy my unlimited Zune pass on any device i want. If it's just a thumbdrive like you say, then use it like a thumbdrive by dragging and dropping files into it. My thumbdrive doesn't sync with iTunes or the Zune software natively either. Nobody is being forced to use (*iTunes) a thumbdrive to (*sync) save their (*music) office docs.

    There's a proper way to go about these things and Palm is definitely not in the right here. We can ding Apple for not allowing the Pre to sync with iTunes all day long, but the onus falls on Palm to handle their business properly and not make end runs that ultimately HURT their own customers.
    Yeah I wonder why Palm isn't making the Pre sync with the Zune software. After all Palm is all about helping the customer, lol.
  8. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    There appears to be some confusion about the difference between a public utility and a private utility. iTunes isn't a public utility, it's private, proprietary software. There are ample appropriate means for accomplishing what Palm is too lazy/overwhelmed/unskilled/selfish/arrogant (pick one or more) to accomplish on their own. There are decent free and pay capabilities in the marketplace that accomplish what Palm is trying to do in an underhanded fashion - I'll bet anyone of them would be willing to enter into a business arrangement with Palm. Palm needs to get over their underdog syndrome and stop pretending to be victims.

    I don't know how to build a car - can I use your car, without your permission, because clearly whoever built it has many more years of experience building it than I do? How about if a friend of mine makes me a false ID that matches your ID so the police won't know I'm not you if I get pulled over?

    I love this line of argument. Because Apple doesn't donate, for free, to whomever wants it, the software Apple built to support Apple's own product lines that's anti-competitive? What's stopping another company, like say ... PALM, from developing their own software/hardware system that does the very same thing as the iPod/iTunes combo to compete with Apple? (hint: Nothing) Just because a company is incapable of competing with another company do to incompetence/poor product line/laziness/martyr syndrome/underdog syndrome/cheapness (pick one or more) doesn't mean the playing field should be leveled for them. Do you make more many than me? Will you pay me the difference please? I'm unable to earn more on my own merits.
    Seriously how old are a lot of the Palm ******* in this forum. What world do they live in, so because Palm can't get off their lazy *** to develop a proper syncing solution, it makes it right for them to hack into itunes and use it because Apple has spent a lot of years and resources developing it, and because its popular. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure they would be crying foul for their beloved Palm.
  9. #69  
    iTunes is like that really hot girl that most everyone wants to get with. Those with half a brain see that she is a bimbo (she's all looks), but nevertheless she is wildly popular.
    ....and just ends up screwing like a dead fish in the end.
  10. #70  
    I HATE Itunes...it's like Norton Antivirus for music...boggs down everything...and for what? PURCHASED music? LOL

    Drag n drop man...draaaag n drop.
  11. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #71  
    The fact that we and the media are still talking about this is proof that Palm's stradegy is achieving it's goal of getting attention. The reality is that 1) more options always better than less, 2) if apple thought they could sue for any compensation or for Palm to cease it's activities legally they would have, and 3) it's already been rumored that when this becomes an excessively labor intensive "fix" then they will stop. By then hopefully they will have some app that apple can't disable and this will all go away. And by the way, apple isn't the pretty popular girl it's more like the so so looking rich girl that your willing to overlook her flaws to play with all her expensive toys.
  12. #72  
    Im so over this itunes bs.it sounds like a bitter divorce or something.move on please!
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    Im so over this itunes bs.it sounds like a bitter divorce or something.move on please!
    And lose the free press? Are you high? They reportedly spent 5 minutes to fix it with 1.1, and 2.5 hours to fix it with 1.2, so what exactly is the problem, and why is it worth another whine-a** thread?
  14. #74  
    i would be better off if i was
  15. #75  
    its like beating a dead horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Which is why they should have released v1.2 over two weeks ago after it had been tested and verified by both Palm and Sprint instead of delaying it for iTunes.
    Itunes wasn't the source of the delay. You can see this because the leaked 1.2 build had quite a few bugs in it that people here reported. It's doubtful it passed full QA, and the people here weren't even able to test the app catalog which is a huge part of 1.2.

    It's pretty doubtful that Itunes had anything to do with the delay.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    its like beating a dead horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This thread is beating a dead horse
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    This thread is beating a dead horse
    thanks to you
  19. nowise's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #79  
    I am confused as to why Palm marketed iTunes sync in the first place. When I had my iPhone, the worst part was needing to sync with iTunes and not being able to drag and drop my media. Not only that, but you couldn't even sync on more than one computer without hacking the Windows registry.

    Drop iTunes support, pull a page out of Orwellian 1984 tactics and pretend like it never existed, and then market the device as being open and not locking you in to one media managing software.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    And lose the free press? Are you high? They reportedly spent 5 minutes to fix it with 1.1, and 2.5 hours to fix it with 1.2, so what exactly is the problem, and why is it worth another whine-a** thread?
    Free press?

    The only press i'm seeing is that Palm was told they were in the wrong. The only other press is in the tech news which isn't exactly mainstream.

    Will this inspire anyone to buy a Pre? No.

    I'm watching Heroes the other night (don't ask me why) and i see the giant Pre in the episode on the Hiro parts. While forwarding through commercials, i see several Apple iphone commericals that again detail what people want and shows off its strengths.

    Which do you think will inspire people to buy?

    Honestly, whenever i talk to someone interested in a new phone, they'll ask me...does the Pre have internet? Can it play songs?

    You can't convince me otherwise that if Palm/Sprint had marketed the Pre in a normal manner, then sales would be much higher. Palm took an overcreative bizarre approach, and Sprint took the ADD approach. Neither effort shows the mainstream what the Pre can actually do.

    Meanwhile, Apple continues to show only the iphone, its screen being the star as they highlight certain features. This is the stuff that wows the mainstream users.

    Palm could do the same but chooses not to. The funny part is that the Pre may be more of a wow factor (webOS) than the iphone. Especially given that the iphone's icons screen is starting to look dated.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions