Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I use Salling to sync with iTunes, mainly because I don't like having some weird proprietary iPod blob that I won't be able to extract files from if something happens. So this doesn't concern me.

But long term, we really shouldn't put up with Apple becoming the gatekeeper of digital music, so I do support Palm in principle even as I hope it's not becoming too much of a distraction.
    On the front page of Precentral, a source is quoted as saying it really doesn't take much in the way of resources to re-enable iTunes sync.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    My Pre still syncs with iTunes since I didn't update past 8.2 or whatever. YE YE
    If Palm doesn't fix iTunes sync Joe Blow will find a hack. Apple may be able to stop Palm, but they can't stop the masses.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts

That's not the problem, the technical challenges are neither here or there - the problem is now political in that they have been told to stop by the standards group - sure they can tell the standards group to take a running job but it's not a smart political move to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If Palm doesn't fix iTunes sync Joe Blow will find a hack. Apple may be able to stop Palm, but they can't stop the masses.
    Definitely. For example, they could use their own Vendor ID but in such a read-write manner that a simple hack can "update" it to Apple's.
  6. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post

But long term, we really shouldn't put up with Apple becoming the gatekeeper of digital music, so I do support Palm in principle even as I hope it's not becoming too much of a distraction.
    If you don't want Apple to become the gatekeeper of digital music then you should NOT support Palm in this.

However this episode may have started Apple thinking about becoming the gatekeeper no matter which device is used and they may now go down that route and open up to all vendors. A sensible thing to do in the face of increasing competition.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's not the problem, the technical challenges are neither here or there - the problem is now political in that they have been told to stop by the standards group - sure they can tell the standards group to take a running job but it's not a smart political move to make.
    I was surprised when I heard that Palm had gone to the USB-IF - Palm: "Hi, were spoofing another vendors ID while they are just checking to see if all ID's match up before they sync." Who was going to win?

Anyway now Apple have been give the go ahead to implement some truly rigorous checks and Palm have been told that they are in the wrong. Palm really need to let this one go and move on.
  7. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by abilvio View Post
    Definitely. For example, they could use their own Vendor ID but in such a read-write manner that a simple hack can "update" it to Apple's.
    Which would be pointless since the people they are trying to target with this iTunes stupidity are not likely want to install this hack or even know about it.

Those that are knowledgeable enough to employ the hack would probably be more open to just using a different application that syncs with the iTunes XML catalog (which Apple make available for just this sort of use).
    I just feel like if I wanted seamless syncing with itunes I would have an iPhone. Plain and simple. I just want a better Pre, to hell with itunes. I don't care how long it takes to "fix" this. My God, people.

This is a smartphone first and foremost, not a music player.
  9. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    I just feel like if I wanted seamless syncing with itunes I would have an iPhone. Plain and simple. I just want a better Pre, to hell with itunes. I don't care how long it takes to "fix" this. My God, people.

This is a smartphone first and foremost, not a music player.
    Which is why they should have released v1.2 over two weeks ago after it had been tested and verified by both Palm and Sprint instead of delaying it for iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Which is why they should have released v1.2 over two weeks ago after it had been tested and verified by both Palm and Sprint instead of delaying it for iTunes.
    and while this is supposed to make us hate apple, it is backfiring quite a bit. anyone who DID care at one point about itunes is going to burn out from this senseless back and forth
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Maybe, but they seem to be doing a good job of getting their name thrown all over the internet right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    Maybe, but they seem to be doing a good job of getting their name thrown all over the internet right now.
    well press or no press, they look ridiculous. and they are alienating their customers. instead of capitalizing on features, they are throwing those in the backseat for this prprpr $stunt$.
  13. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    Yeah but not for anything good: rubbish build quality, rubbish adverts, leeching of others for media file syncing and finally getting slapped down by the USB-IF after being the ones that whined and lodged the complaint.

They need to get on with fixing their hardware problems, updating the OS with the missing features (and v1.2 added major improvements) and getting their message about the benefits of WebOS and an Open platform out.

There was a lot of excitement about this platform when it was announced, as I said in another thread I've been eagerly following this one since the day it was announced. However I saw a significant drop-off in interest in May when they still hadn't released full specs and wouldn't let anyone really play with the device (keeping the iTunes sync under wraps?) and even more drop-off in interest with all the messing about with the SDK.

They are distracting themselves from the mission at hand because of the mistaken believe that all the original iPhone owners would dump Apple and move to Palm once their contracts ran out. Well that didn't happen, time to move on and try for a new demographic.

Lastly this on again, off again iTunes syncing is a disservice to anyone that actually USES iTunes and a selling point against Palm. Either it syncs 24/7 or it doesn't.
    iTunes is like that really hot girl that most everyone wants to get with. Those with half a brain see that she is a bimbo (she's all looks), but nevertheless she is wildly popular.

Palm is a really cool guy on the inside (smart, caring etc.) he knows she is out of his league but continues to stalk her, feeling that one day she will just give in and at least give him a 'chance'. She keeps shutting him down.

Palm likes being 'seen' around her, it makes others think that they are together, it makes people feel bad for him. If he's seen with the most popular girl in school he is sure to become more popular right?

Well the other day, Palm's friend, Mr. USB told him to give it up, he gave him a laundry list of why they will never be together...Palm doesn't listen and although he has a crowd of girls wanting to get to know him, he ignores them for iTunes, pretty soon those love interests of his will go away....

Alas, Palm just looks sad even trying anymore. It pains other people to see it. When will it end???
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Indeed, it's the wrong battle to fight - what are they going to do? constantly be fighting an update war with itunes ? How does that enhance the customer experience?

Best just to leave it alone and concentrate on providing support for other media players.
    Palm completely blew this from the get go. And this is not going to end well for Palm. They should of chose a different method from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    You do realize that you have to license the ability to sync, and advertise that capability? Licensing costs are never cheap, and would likely be a per-sale price. Ridiculous.

Why are you AGAINST being able to use your precious itunes with your pre? Palm has made it possible to put your media on their phone by means of USB transfer. Its just a THUMB DRIVE. So is an Ipod, but Apple forces you to use their hardware to utilize their software to put files onto said USB drive.

How would you feel if MS made you buy a thumbdrive from them to save your office docs?
    The better argument would be why is Palm not spending all this time, effort and energy they seem to have into developing their own media management software. You say that licensing costs are never cheap, so would developing your own app not solve that? Plus iTunes mainly syncing with iPods didn't just fall out of the sky yesterday, it's the norm.

Why aren't you this vocal that the Pre doesn't sync with Zune software? Surely i might want to enjoy my unlimited Zune pass on any device i want. If it's just a thumbdrive like you say, then use it like a thumbdrive by dragging and dropping files into it. My thumbdrive doesn't sync with iTunes or the Zune software natively either. Nobody is being forced to use (*iTunes) a thumbdrive to (*sync) save their (*music) office docs.

There's a proper way to go about these things and Palm is definitely not in the right here. We can ding Apple for not allowing the Pre to sync with iTunes all day long, but the onus falls on Palm to handle their business properly and not make end runs that ultimately HURT their own customers.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    The better argument would be why is Palm not spending all this time, effort and energy they seem to have into developing their own media management software.
    Because Palm understands what so many of you don't: users don't want another media management app. Most people have already selected one by now, whether it's WMP, songbird, or (in most cases) iTunes. Our libraries are set up, our playlists are set up, and we don't want to lose that work and have to use a different program just for our cell phone. What happens when we change phones in 1-2 years, you want us to change back?

Not to mention, iTunes is at version 9. Apple has had years and years to get it right and to figure out what people want. You think Palm, with extremely limited resources and talent, can make a full featured media player and sync solution right now? Do you think that's what they ought to be doing with their time? I hope not.
    Too much Oprah my friend
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Songbird sync please
    You can sync the Pre with Songbird using the iPod plugin. However, the iPod plugin for Songbird does not have the ability to sync album art.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast