Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    good. maybe now palm will concentrate on more important things now.

(this is just my opinion, of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by prejune View Post

i know what you mean. I bet palm wasted at least two months with this whole itunes thing. Now its all for nothing.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Well Rubenstein, you gave it a shot. Time to move on to better things. Seriously doubt it is over though.
    Quote Originally Posted by knip View Post
    Well Rubenstein, you gave it a shot. Time to move on to better things. Seriously doubt it is over though.
    Can he backtrack now? Somewhere there's a lawyer pondering a class action lawsuit. Interesting situation.

BTW, the significance of the vendor ID looks hokey. Nobody cares about browser user agents, how is that different? Also a standard.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Nonsense, why don't you try using a Cannon printer with HP software for their printers and see how well that works out for you.
    That's a poor analogy and you know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Nonsense, why don't you try using a Cannon printer with HP software for their printers and see how well that works out for you.
    I can (and have) installed many a printer without the need for 'software'. Drivers yes, but not a software to run it. When I buy a car, I dont need to get tires, oil, and air filters at the dealer - I can get them any number of places. Why quote my entire post if you didnt read the whole thing?

Why do I need an iPod or other crapple hardware to use their software? Last time I opened iTunes, I was hit with ads, and other marketing info that Im sure Apple is using to help fund the software, in addition to the sales they make through it. So, using iTunes to sync to ANY other device shouldnt be a problem, but Apple doesnt like that - you have to pay them to be able to link into their software. Its anti-competitive.

The apple fan bois dont seem to understand that iTunes is nothing more than a repository, a library, a keeper of playlists and a portal to a webstore. If it only interfaces with a single piece of hardware, or a hardware family than its crippled, and IMO useless. What Palm is trying to do is paint Apple as the bad guy, and it will likely work.

"Hey, I can use iTunes with my Pre again, awesome.. oh wait, apple released an update and now I cant.. Damn you apple!" Palm isnt going to look bad to the lay person. By toying in this cat and mouse game, Palm will likely get more people to change to another program, than if they merely 'wrote an app' or did nothing about iTunes sync. This is in Palm's best interest for many a reason, no matter if you agree or not.

iTunes is what it is, I could care less if Apple ever changes it; Im already convinced that Apple is the spawn of satan, and that belief is hard coded into my DNA. Flame away :P.

What so many fail to recognize is that tech people have been trying to keep the market OPEN to keep as large a customer base as possible. Competition is good for us, but Apple doesnt want competition. They want to be THE ONE.

Why ANYONE wouldnt want Apple to make it that much easier for ANY device to sync is beyond me. Sure, its their software, they developed it, but its nothing much fancier than any other media player thats been around - they just put a couple of scripts into it that give some nice features via sync. The music store is where they spent their development, the front-side player/delivery method isnt all that special in comparison. Putting music onto a usb device isnt rocket surgery, and there is NO need to keep it proprietary, but Apple insists on it, and insists that if you're anyone but apple, that you need to jump through additional hoops to allow a user to put their music anywhere but on an apple device. How would you feel if you had to use a different file explorer for every different brand of thumb drive? Its the same thing.

There's no reason Palm should write their own iTunes. There are other places to get music, and the market is pretty well tapped by current solutions. Many users already have their libraries setup in their choice of program: most of which will sync directly to anything. So why would they want to write their own sync interface? So you can redo all that hard work of setting up your playlists, libraries, and what-not in ANOTHER software? BS.

If an update from Apple just happened to break the sync capability of the Pre, fine - palm would fix it and the world would go back to normal. But Apple is evil, and must stop any effort by someone to make their device friendly to people who happen to use Apple soft/hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I think you guys are missing the point. You buy a Palm device, and it's Palm's responsibility to enable you use your media.

What if there was no Apple and no iTunes but you had a slew of MP3 and AAC music files on your computer? Would you hold a grudge against the companies that sold you the music just because Palm has no sync solution for the device you bought?

I'm sorry, this is Palm's problem and they need to nut up and handle it. The iTunes music library has an open, public API; any third party can access it and allow the media sync with their device. I think it's ridiculous for Palm to think they can just rip off the iTunes app, which Apple developed for their own devices.
    You do realize that you have to license the ability to sync, and advertise that capability? Licensing costs are never cheap, and would likely be a per-sale price. Ridiculous.

Why are you AGAINST being able to use your precious itunes with your pre? Palm has made it possible to put your media on their phone by means of USB transfer. Its just a THUMB DRIVE. So is an Ipod, but Apple forces you to use their hardware to utilize their software to put files onto said USB drive.

How would you feel if MS made you buy a thumbdrive from them to save your office docs?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Can he backtrack now? Somewhere there's a lawyer pondering a class action lawsuit. Interesting situation.

BTW, the significance of the vendor ID looks hokey. Nobody cares about browser user agents, how is that different? Also a standard.
    They use the same webkit browser as far as i know. A crap ton of sites are developed for the iPhone screen so I dont think that would be such a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by knip View Post
    They use the same webkit browser as far as i know. A crap ton of sites are developed for the iPhone screen so I dont think that would be such a big deal.
    I meant that it's no one's business what a software identifies itself as. For example, here's how Apple's own Safari identifies itself to sites:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en) AppleWebKit/526.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0dp1 Safari/526.8

One could argue in the same way that Apple is lying by pretending to be Mozilla, except no one cares if a browser reports as being compatible with another, and by the same token no one should care what USB devices report themselves to be.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I meant that it's no one's business what a software identifies itself as. For example, here's how Apple's own Safari identifies itself to sites:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en) AppleWebKit/526.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0dp1 Safari/526.8

One could argue in the same way that Apple is lying by pretending to be Mozilla, except no one cares if a browser reports as being compatible with another, and by the same token no one should care what USB devices report themselves to be.
    So then you're all for the Pre reporting itself to iTunes as being an iPod, right?
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prejune View Post

Right, because it sure does take a significant amount of resources to implement iTunes sync, doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Let it be said: **** Apple.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts

I agree. And I believe that to be the basis of Palms complaint to the USB-IF - that Apple is using what is essentially an open standard technology to block interoperability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Let it be said: **** Apple.
    I was thinking the same thing...except the exact opposite. **** Palm. Leeches cant even develop their own software and have to piggyback off all of Apples hard work. Pathetic.
    yeah this is good news. lets MOVE ON PLEASE from itunes as there is a growing laundry list of things that we need on the pre
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    my comment was based on if the delay for updates was because of the itunes sync, whether they are waiting for a mediator to back them up for thier right to do so, or if it was a software thing.

also, i made my comment before the story broke.

thank you for pointing it out though.

Last edited by prejune; 09/23/2009 at 02:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    I was thinking the same thing...except the exact opposite. **** Palm. Leeches cant even develop their own software and have to piggyback off all of Apples hard work. Pathetic.
    By that logic, would not Apple themselves be subject to your wrath as the roots of much of their hard work was done by others? I mean really, they did piggyback off the hard work of AT&T employee's with their big claim to fame, Mac OS. Unix ring a bell?
    Apple owns Itunes. Palm need to get a life. This really is embarrassing for them.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I don't care one way or the other, iTunes will never defile my computer. I prefer MediaMonkey which knows a Palm Pre when it see's one and doesn't try to cockblock someone just to be a ****. Which, obviously, is what Apple gets off on.

Also, Apple needs to get a life. So someone else wants to use their software, who the hell cares? Apple should be the one embarrassed here, not Palm. Would you rather be the ******* in the room or the cool guy everyone likes?

Apple chose *******.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I agree. And I believe that to be the basis of Palms complaint to the USB-IF - that Apple is using what is essentially an open standard technology to block interoperability.
    I use Salling to sync with iTunes, mainly because I don't like having some weird proprietary iPod blob that I won't be able to extract files from if something happens. So this doesn't concern me.

But long term, we really shouldn't put up with Apple becoming the gatekeeper of digital music, so I do support Palm in principle even as I hope it's not becoming too much of a distraction.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast