Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I understand the Palm Pre has this capability. However, I have an email account that is derived from gmail. Meaning it's a gmail account that does not have the standard @gmail.com address. It's personalized. ie: @myownbizaddress.com. Is there any way to get my email on my cell with this exception?

    When I tried to go into gmail and enable IMAP to start the process, I can't sign in, cause of course it's not @gmail.com. I'm by fair a newbie when it comes to gmail...so I don't know how this affects things, therefore don't know how to research the problem. Thank you.
  2. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #2  
    yes. you need to set it up manually. To imap and use the servers imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com.

    Beware google does not implement the full IMAP protocol, so you dont get synched read and replied items. I switched to Rackspace email because of this.

    Gmail is also really slow and you can only connect to 2 machines at once with it.
  3. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #3  
    All my messages and their statuses are sync'd just fine. I also have way more than two PCs sitting on the account actively at a time. This has worked just fine on both of my Google Apps accounts as well as 2 standard @gmail.com accounts.
  4. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    All my messages and their statuses are sync'd just fine. I also have way more than two PCs sitting on the account actively at a time. This has worked just fine on both of my Google Apps accounts as well as 2 standard @gmail.com accounts.
    Consider yourself lucky. Im not able to have 2 computers and the Pre online at once. Google's own documentation confirms this to work as I described, since they limit the amount of connections from 1 IP address and/or account.

    Also if I mark an item as read on my computer it does not mark it as read immediately on the Pre, as other IMAP implementations do. You're gmail app accounts do this immediately?
  5. #5  
    I login with at least 4 computers at a time including my Pre. No problems and everything syncs including read marks.

    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. Im not able to have 2 computers and the Pre online at once. Google's own documentation confirms this to work as I described, since they limit the amount of connections from 1 IP address and/or account.

    Also if I mark an item as read on my computer it does not mark it as read immediately on the Pre, as other IMAP implementations do. You're gmail app accounts do this immediately?
  6. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. Im not able to have 2 computers and the Pre online at once. Google's own documentation confirms this to work as I described, since they limit the amount of connections from 1 IP address and/or account.

    Also if I mark an item as read on my computer it does not mark it as read immediately on the Pre, as other IMAP implementations do. You're gmail app accounts do this immediately?
    I've never really chalked it up to luck... it's always been that way for me (and I've asked around and it functions the same for those around me at the moment). Can you link the IP-access restriction you mentioned? It's weird that it would work for so many people if they don't intend it to. Are you sure you're not confusing IMAP IDLE access with like, multiple PCs logged into the web interface?

    As far as the read status sync'ing immediately. Usually, yeah. It's always fast, but I do sometimes see a message stay "Unread" for a little bit (less than a minute for sure) before catching up. I'd say 85% is "immediate" and the other 15% is "pretty quick." lol

    Edit: I just tested with a bunch of emails and even in the cases where the read status doesn't instantly update, it's the Pre client not Gmail (confirmed because two PCs get the status sync'd as well as the web client). Although if it is taking you much much longer to update, perhaps it's a whole other sort of issue.
  7. #7  
    I also use Gmail for my business email addresses and I just entered it into my Pre just like a regular gmail account and everything registered just fine. Didn't have to enter anything at all manually. I think when you create the account and hit enter it sees the MX record is with Gmail and that's all it needs.
  8.    #8  
    I did it manually...it worked! Thanks for all your help!!
  9. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    I've never really chalked it up to luck... it's always been that way for me (and I've asked around and it functions the same for those around me at the moment). Can you link the IP-access restriction you mentioned? It's weird that it would work for so many people if they don't intend it to. Are you sure you're not confusing IMAP IDLE access with like, multiple PCs logged into the web interface?

    As far as the read status sync'ing immediately. Usually, yeah. It's always fast, but I do sometimes see a message stay "Unread" for a little bit (less than a minute for sure) before catching up. I'd say 85% is "immediate" and the other 15% is "pretty quick." lol

    Edit: I just tested with a bunch of emails and even in the cases where the read status doesn't instantly update, it's the Pre client not Gmail (confirmed because two PCs get the status sync'd as well as the web client). Although if it is taking you much much longer to update, perhaps it's a whole other sort of issue.
    Sorry for the late reply, I never saw this message.

    Im still not able to get Google Apps to sync read status. If there is a mail notification on the Pre and I read the message on another IMAP client, the Pre should remove the mail notification. It does not, it never does, not when using Google. If I use another IMAP server, this happens instantly and is _very_ convenient when using the touchstone, as it lets me preview what _new_ emails have come in.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions