Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75
  1. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #1  
    Google just announced that you can setup Gmail with an Exchange client. So those who want real push email with Gmail, this is how to set it up:

    1) Open up Email > Preferences & Accounts



    2) Tap Add An Account



    3) Tap the menu and select Manual Setup



    4) Change the mail type to Exchange (EAS)



    5) Enter your Gmail email address
    6) Enter the incoming server name as https://m.google.com
    7) Enter google for the domain (though I don't think it's necessary)
    8) Enter your full email address for the username
    9) Enter your password
    10) Tap Sign In



    The Pre will start to sync and in a few seconds, it'll show up as an Exchange account. You can go back to your accounts list for it and change it Gmail.

    I just tried it on my Pre and push works like a charm like my real Exchange account.
    Last edited by Stake; 09/22/2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added screencaps
  2. #2  
    You get real push mail in regular gmail with IMAP.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3. #3  
    I'm wondering how well this works, these settings look like the activesync settings. But when I had my treo google's activesync only synced contacts.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    Google just announced that you can setup Gmail with an Exchange client. So those who want real push email with Gmail, this is how to set it up:

    1) Open up Email > Preferences & Accounts
    2) Tap Add An Account
    3) Tap the menu and select Manual Setup
    4) Change the mail type to Exchange (EAS)
    5) Enter your Gmail email address
    6) Enter the incoming server name as https://m.google.com
    7) Enter google for the domain (though I don't think it's necessary)
    8) Enter your full email address for the username
    9) Enter your password
    10) Tap Sign In

    The Pre will start to sync and in a few seconds, it'll show up as an Exchange account. You can go back to your accounts list for it and change it Gmail.

    I just tried it on my Pre and push works like a charm like my real Exchange account!

    Enjoy!

    I'll post screen shots if anyone wants them
    Do you have to change any settings in gmail to make this work? Where did you find out about this? Link?
  5. #5  
    What's the advantage?
  6. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You get real push mail in regular gmail with IMAP.
    I never found IMAP idle to work too well and I know Exchange push works very well. If this works just like Exchange, I think this will work a little better.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    I never found IMAP idle to work too well and I know Exchange push works very well. If this works just like Exchange, I think this will work a little better.

    What would be the disadvantages?
  8. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #8  
    This is Google's announcement for this support:
    Official Google Mobile Blog: Google Sync: Now with push Gmail support
  9. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #9  
    Google's IMAP implementation sucks.. Hopefully Exchange will provide a better solution. I'll report back
  10. #10  
    Can anyone tell me if you can use an alias with this??
  11. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
       #11  
    I think the advantage is full folder support setup as Exchange. I'll have to check since I don't really use it as my main email account.
  12. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #12  
    Looks like all your calendars are not synched, just the primary one. That is a bummer, but you can always independently add the Google account to Calendar.
  13. #13  
    So if you have multiple calendars in your Google Calendar, it will only sync your primary? If so, i'll stick with IMAP.
  14. evandena's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #14  
    Would like screen shots please
  15. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #15  
    Can we have more information on this? Imap vs exchange. I use Imap with my google domain and seem to get emails just fine. I also use exchange for my work email and that seems just as good.
  16. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #16  
    The only real difference between them is that one has to check for emails based on a set time (IMAP 15 min)versus the the other constantly doing a low ping for new email and receiving it almost instantly to your phone (Exchange as you reseave it). IMAP will conserve battery a little better than Exchange will.
  17. evandena's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    The only real difference between them is that one has to check for emails based on a set time (IMAP 15 min)versus the the other constantly doing a low ping for new email and receiving it almost instantly to your phone (Exchange as you reseave it). IMAP will conserve battery a little better than Exchange will.
    Incorrect.
    IMAP supports IDLE, so it does not have to check at an interval.
  18. jhp
    jhp is offline
    jhp's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    #18  
    I just tried this; everything seemed fine, but when I tried to retrieve any of my messages it timed out. Reverting to IMAP fixed it.
  19. jagowar's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #19  
    I have it syncing my email but not contacts.... one big reason to use exchange is contacts would be available to the nav app. As I understand it exchange contacts can be in there where gmail contacts cant.
  20. skp
    skp is offline
    skp's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    #20  
    I've tried this a couple times before they had the email sync but I couldn't get it to work right. Has anybody used this method to sync the contacts and if so, does it only sync the My Contacts folder? On Windows Mobile it only syncs the My Contacts folder which is preferable so you don't have all those random contacts in there.

    I would test this myself but I would have to remove my current setup because of the email address conflict and I don't want to go through the hassle of relinking everyone again after I find out it doesn't work.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions