Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaarmadillo View Post
    What is a google EAS account? I thought google enterprise was this antithesis of exchange?
    It's your gmail
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaarmadillo View Post
    What is a google EAS account? I thought google enterprise was this antithesis of exchange?
    EAS, IMAP, and POP3 are forms of communicating.
    Google uses existing technology.

Example, the blackberry servers use the EAS technology
    Blackberry does not use EAS (Exchange Active sync) BB uses either a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) or BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) neither of which rely on EAS.
    So why are we getting this timed out message? A friend here at work enabled EAS for his iphone on our same google account and is downloading full messages on the iphone native app using EAS. What's the difference?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rji2goleez View Post
    So why are we getting this timed out message? A friend here at work enabled EAS for his iphone on our same google account and is downloading full messages on the iphone native app using EAS. What's the difference?
    Technically it's only supported on iphone and WM... it will probably work on the Pre, but its as-is at this point.
    Right - google uses a web interface, IMAP, or google outlook sync - none of those are EAS (Exchange Active SYnc) are they?
    Right now I use both, EAS for my work and IMAP for Google. Both work fine, though loading the message body can take a bit via EAS sometimes. (This is through my works Exchange system, not Gmail.)

I do like how EAS accesses the GAL when searching for names. My company has 200K people so I don't think synergy could handle having all them on my phone at once.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    so which one is better?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    uh, you are purposely skipping the inbox, and you wonder why you have to manually check for them?

No device I've seen, even Gmail itself makes it plainly obvious that you got a new email if you tell it to skip the inbox and archive it.
    I skip the inbox so that things stay organized. I have similar rules setup with outlook, and have no issues getting notifications (not on my phone, but by other means) without trouble. So why do I have to manually check other folders? Would be nice to get an alert about the email, but not have to go and archive everything in my inbox manually. I must just think differently.
  10. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    For people using EAS and Gmail, and who maintain multiple calendars with Google Calendar: is there some way of which I'm unaware to get those multiple calendars to sync with the Pre?

Trying to make sure of that before I just combine my four-ish calendars into one.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Right now I use both, EAS for my work and IMAP for Google. Both work fine, though loading the message body can take a bit via EAS sometimes. (This is through my works Exchange system, not Gmail.)

I do like how EAS accesses the GAL when searching for names. My company has 200K people so I don't think synergy could handle having all them on my phone at once.
    It doesn't try to have them all at once. I have exchange set up for my company on my Pre right now, and when you start doing a universal search for a name, and that name is not in synergy, it pulls up a box that says, Global Search. You tap there, and connects over your network connection to the EAS server and pulls down all applicable matches. Nothing gets stored to the phone. It's actually REALLY slick.
    My Programs: TipIt(TipCalc), FillUps
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exi View Post
    For people using EAS and Gmail, and who maintain multiple calendars with Google Calendar: is there some way of which I'm unaware to get those multiple calendars to sync with the Pre?

Trying to make sure of that before I just combine my four-ish calendars into one.
    sorry, why were you trying to do this? The standard way of adding gmail via IMAP to the phone, as is, will pull down all of your calendars automatically.

I actually have thought the IMAP implementation (via IDLE) for the PRE has been great. I have an exchange account and my IMAP gmail account on the PRE, and they both work about as good. I don't know which is better for battery, and I would suspect EAS may have the leg up, but that doesn't really seem to be why most people are desperate to switch? Normally, I always go for something new and shiny...but IDLE really does work pretty nicely.
    Are different contact fields made available via Google EAS sync or are they the same as through an IMAP synergy sync?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm also having the issue of 'Download of the message body timed out. The system will retry soon.'

Really irritating. EAS is better than IMAP.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skola28 View Post
    EAS is better than IMAP.
    Why? IMAP is downloading messages right now and EAS isn't. Why are you so compelled to move to EAS? I have used it for years on my WinMO phone for work, and I don't see any major difference. They both seem to work well
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234