Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhp View Post
    I just tried this; everything seemed fine, but when I tried to retrieve any of my messages it timed out. Reverting to IMAP fixed it.
    It's timing out alright. Emails do come through quickly. It's probably a bug they need to iron out.

If anything this is a guide to alternate way of adding Gmail to a device that supports Exchange FWIW.
    I pulled off my IMAP Gmail connection in favor of EAS, but was having issues getting it setup. Finally did get signed in, but the "push" certainly was not pushing fast at all. I sent an email to my Gmail account, and after several minutes had still not pulled it down to the phone. Plus I was getting the "retrieving email text" on my older emails that you guys mentioned, until they timed out.

Going back to IMAP for now, I really just wanted to try this to see if the email would push like BB's BES that I've got on my work phone. Negative.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    People are indicating on the Google blog that the service is running super slow.
    Official Google Mobile Blog: Google Sync: Now with push Gmail support

It might be crazy influx of iPhone users trying it out.

"Thanks for the feedback. As you've noticed, the service has been slow for some as we deal with the increased demand. We're working furiously to increase capacity so if you bear with us, we hope to have speeds back to normal soon.

We'll be following up in the Help Forum as things progress, so stop by there if you have more questions, requests, or discussion topics!"

Robin
    September 22, 2009 1:35 PM
    Last edited by Stake; 09/22/2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Cool concept but I am getting an error when I open emails. The error says: "Download of the message body timed out. The system will retry soon."

I would have liked this feature to work because when using IMAP, when I open an email on my computer it doesn't synch the read status to my Pre. The message still shows up as unread on the Pre which is annoying because I am back and forth between my computer and my Pre all day.
    read somehwhere in palm's forums that if it's setup via exchange, contacts sync with my contacts instead of all contacts on google...not sure if it's the case, haven't tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    Cool concept but I am getting an error when I open emails. The error says: "Download of the message body timed out. The system will retry soon."

I would have liked this feature to work because when using IMAP, when I open an email on my computer it doesn't synch the read status to my Pre. The message still shows up as unread on the Pre which is annoying because I am back and forth between my computer and my Pre all day.
    Same.
    I don't see the benefit of this for the Pre, unless EAS is faster, or somehow preserves battery more.

...and why would you want this on ANY phone? honestly, I tried reading through multiple pages on engadget and could not find the answer. Why not use the default gmail interface?
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Doesn't EAS work similar to a text message? IMAP IDLE leaves a connection open all the time, which is fine, except when you're in and out of reception and it has to re-initiate.

Also similar to BIS/BES... The "Exchange Server" acts as an intermediary, sending you the email instead of pushing it to you if you happen to have an open connection.

I could easily be wrong.
    Was the post earlier correct about the calendar sync? Does it only sync your primary Google calendar and not any shared calendars?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    Was the post earlier correct about the calendar sync? Does it only sync your primary Google calendar and not any shared calendars?

Thanks
    correct.
    Then no reason at all to switch from IMAP... thanks
    IMAP works great for me.
    Read the documentation on the calendar sync, supposedly you can make it sync all calendars.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evandena View Post
    Doesn't EAS work similar to a text message? IMAP IDLE leaves a connection open all the time, which is fine, except when you're in and out of reception and it has to re-initiate.

Also similar to BIS/BES... The "Exchange Server" acts as an intermediary, sending you the email instead of pushing it to you if you happen to have an open connection.

I could easily be wrong.
    The way I understand it, they both work in a similar fashion. With both protocols it boils down to: open connection to server and wait X number of minutes for a response indicating new messages. If the server doesn't respond in that time indicating new messages, check to make sure connection is still alive and wait again. The "open connection" really shouldn't take a lot of power as it is just a countdown to when the connection should timeout. The application just needs to make sure it sends its keep alive before the system times out the connection.

Reference:
    EAS: Understanding Direct Push: Exchange 2007 Help
    IMAP IDLE: RFC 2177 - IMAP4 IDLE command

Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Same.

Thirds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlozon View Post
    I pulled off my IMAP Gmail connection in favor of EAS, but was having issues getting it setup. Finally did get signed in, but the "push" certainly was not pushing fast at all. I sent an email to my Gmail account, and after several minutes had still not pulled it down to the phone. Plus I was getting the "retrieving email text" on my older emails that you guys mentioned, until they timed out.

Going back to IMAP for now, I really just wanted to try this to see if the email would push like BB's BES that I've got on my work phone. Negative.
    Well maybe the problem might be something with the Pre because on my Win Mobile, it's instantaneous. No timing outs like you're reporting also.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    How does GMail over IMAP suck? I get the messages within 15-30 seconds of sending it if not instantaneous.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    This is my problem with IMAP on the Pre too. Otherwise it works decently well.

Also, it looks like Google Sync is not yet setup to respect changes in the default "from" address. It only displays the Gmail address by default. This is no good for me.
    Last edited by Peteman100; 09/22/2009 at 08:06 PM.
    I get my gmail messages on my phone before they show up in Gmail!! same with Gtalk, calendar reminders, etc. So IMAP seems to be working pretty well for me(I have it set to get email as items arrive).

My only complaint is that the messages that 'skip' the inbox dont show, and I have to manually check for them. Would EAS automatically pull down the messages that skip the inbox?

My read status does sync to my phone, but notifications remain until dismissed. Delete status also syncs in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    I get my gmail messages on my phone before they show up in Gmail!! same with Gtalk, calendar reminders, etc. So IMAP seems to be working pretty well for me(I have it set to get email as items arrive).

My only complaint is that the messages that 'skip' the inbox dont show, and I have to manually check for them. Would EAS automatically pull down the messages that skip the inbox?

My read status does sync to my phone, but notifications remain until dismissed. Delete status also syncs in my experience.
    uh, you are purposely skipping the inbox, and you wonder why you have to manually check for them?

No device I've seen, even Gmail itself makes it plainly obvious that you got a new email if you tell it to skip the inbox and archive it.
    no 'Thanks'
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast