Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Forget all the struggling with syncing to itunes. I tried winamp and was really impressed with how well it synced. I was able to put a playlist file onto the pre and then it automatically synced all the songs contained in that playlist. This is really convenient when you have a large music library and can't sync it with the whole thing. It even automatically converted all my wma files to mp3 while syncing (without changing the original file). Highly recommended!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I've thought about it, and nearly made the plunge until I realized that I'm still going to need iTunes to sync apps to my iPod touch. It doesn't really solve anything if I have to keep track of two music applications.
  3. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    what about songs I purchased through itunes? Can Winamp transfer those as well?
    the playlists syncs the songs over but can you see the playlist in the playlists folder on the pre??? so its still not better option. if you really don't need the latest itunes, don't update. if you do, then u'll have to sacrifice something.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    just don't update itunes. they haven't added a feature i use in years. so it's not an issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    it is my understanding that if you buy songs on itunes they are most likey DRM'd and you wil NEVER be able to use them on any device that is not an apple device. The non DRM'd stuff will play on any compatible player. Someone feel free to correct me. I don't buy anything on itunes. but as far as i know buying itunes songs is buying a copyprotected song that plays only on an ipod, unless you can strip the copy protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    it is my understanding that if you buy songs on itunes they are most likey DRM'd and you wil NEVER be able to use them on any device that is not an apple device. The non DRM'd stuff will play on any compatible player. Someone feel free to correct me. I don't buy anything on itunes. but as far as i know buying itunes songs is buying a copyprotected song that plays only on an ipod, unless you can strip the copy protection.
    I heard, though haven't confirmed, that sometime earlier this year the iTunes store started selling non-DRM songs that were previously DRM. But I don't know. I haven't touched iTunes in a long time, I use J River's stuff.
    This is a really awesome, easy, program to convert all your DRM iTunes purchases

http://wma-convert.com/

Its not free, but its cheap enough and converts EVERYTHING including Audiobooks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Maybe you haven't noticed because you haven't updated your iTunes in so long, but their entire library is available free of DRM now. Older tracks before the change can be upgraded to higher bitrate DRM-free tracks for a fee instead of buying them again.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Without knowing... you hit the nail on the head.... itunes, Apple and AT&T can kiss my *****.... Why because they try and screw you at ever turn...

I didn't realize I was renting the music I "Purchased" from you... If I have my music on my ipod I can't get it off.. ***... I had to pay $20 for software that would do it for me how crazy is that.. I wish I had read this first

Get songs off your iPod | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Maybe you haven't noticed because you haven't updated your iTunes in so long, but their entire library is available free of DRM now. Older tracks before the change can be upgraded to higher bitrate DRM-free tracks for a fee instead of buying them again.
    actually i have installed almost every version released save the last one. i just have several saved old itunes install files and i normally revert back. i also have a laptop with very little music on it that i can use to test new versions of itunes with out risking ruining my main library.

that said if anyone is interested you can get old versions here http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

the reason i don't know specifics about the drm status of itunes store songs is because as i said, "I don't buy anything on itunes." So it's just something that hasn't concerned me. But i guess my statement is still accurate. "The non DRM'd stuff will play on any compatible player." they just now sell nondrm'd stuff i guess.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Winamp works well for syncing with the Pre.

I had some initial problems where Itunes would tend to take over but I figured out what was happening. Start up itunes with your pre installed. Unclick the option in itunes (under the Pre) "Open Itunes when the Ipod is attached". This is all using the old version of itunes. I am assuming the new version will ignore the pre and winamp can do all the syncing.

Once Itunes is out of the way:
    1. Start up Winamp.
    2. Connect the Pre in media mode (the Pre should show up under Portables).
    3. To send a playlist and files from Winamp, click on a playlist. Right click "Send To Palm Pre". It will send the playlist and files over. I have found that I need to delete the playlist and files on the pre if I update the playlist on the computer and want to send it again.

If you have Playlists in itunes that you want to send to Winamp.
    1. Start up Itunes.
    2. Click on a playlist. Right click on export. Export to xml.
    3. Use ItunesExportUI to convert xml to m3u playlists.
    EricDaugherty.com - iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter

Hope this helps. I have found Winamp much faster and better than Itunes. I still use Itunes for my Ipods. It is tempting to ditch Itunes altogether.

Scott
    Has anyone tried MLipod on Winamp with their Pre yet? Loved it for my ipod and am looking forward to trying it on my Pre...

Control your Ipod with Winamp
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrscott View Post
    Winamp works well for syncing with the Pre.

I had some initial problems where Itunes would tend to take over but I figured out what was happening. Start up itunes with your pre installed. Unclick the option in itunes (under the Pre) "Open Itunes when the Ipod is attached". This is all using the old version of itunes. I am assuming the new version will ignore the pre and winamp can do all the syncing.

Once Itunes is out of the way:
    1. Start up Winamp.
    2. Connect the Pre in media mode (the Pre should show up under Portables).
    3. To send a playlist and files from Winamp, click on a playlist. Right click "Send To Palm Pre". It will send the playlist and files over. I have found that I need to delete the playlist and files on the pre if I update the playlist on the computer and want to send it again.

If you have Playlists in itunes that you want to send to Winamp.
    1. Start up Itunes.
    2. Click on a playlist. Right click on export. Export to xml.
    3. Use ItunesExportUI to convert xml to m3u playlists.
    EricDaugherty.com - iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter

Hope this helps. I have found Winamp much faster and better than Itunes. I still use Itunes for my Ipods. It is tempting to ditch Itunes altogether.

Scott
    I've been messing around, trying to find the best way to organize the music I keep on the pre. It seems like this is the best method but one think I don't like about it is it renames all the MP3 files so I can look at the file system and find a specific file if I wanted too.

Hers one odd thing though.

I have a albumn of music with a precreaed playlist (.m3u). Looking in notepad, all it is is a list of the tracks, no additional formatting (# symbols, etc). When I copy the album over into the Music directory, the playlist showed up. Yet when I create a playlist using the same format, copied that albumn over but in this case the playlist won't show up.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I never really looked at the music directory on the Pre since I let winamp do the work. But you are right, what a mess with the renamed file names. I guess it doesn't matter too much since the music application can read the information and I don't really look at the raw data. I think this is also what itunes does.

I have always created the playlists in itunes or winamp (have never manually created the file). If I rip a cd, I also let the program auto-create the playlist. I wish winamp would read the xml playlists of itunes directly. I have been only using playlists since I have way too much music to look at the individual files. I haven't attempted to push individual albums over yet.

Oddly, I could not get album art with itunes sync but I pick it up perfectly with winamp.

I found winamp can also connect to other devices like the Sansa Clip. The clip only reads mp3s (and I have some itunes purchased non-DRM AACs). Winamp can convert on the fly using a sync feature but it wants to push the entire library. The playlist drag method I used with the Pre doesn't work with the Sansa since the drag just copies the file. Winamp could use some improvement but it works well enough.

I tried Songbird in addition to Winamp, but Songbird was dropping the first song in many playlists.
    I'm just wondering if anyone would like to comment on an obvious solution.

I've connected the Pre (as a Media device) to my laptop via USB. I've also disabled tethering (MyTether) prior to connecting.

It exists as a portable device when viewed through Windows 7, but does not appear as a sending option.
    Another option for syncing without iTunes, And getting playlists to show up on the pre:
    Use WMP for your music library, buy the dopisp plugin($10-20 can't remember as I've had it for years to sync my ipods), which allows WMP to see ipods. Syn pre by music sync, and it will show up on WMP as an ipod. Gives full playlist functionality.