1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I've tried searching for a good answer, and can't seem to find one.

My wife currently has a Centro, and is looking at getting a Pre, since I'm digging mine. She uses Outlook for all her home business stuff. I can't seem to find an easy solution to sync to get contacts, and notes from Outlook to the Pre. The only thing I'm seeing so far is Chapura, and some mixed reviews (and $30) in the App catalog. It's a ton easier with the Centro, it seems... just plug it in, and sync it up.

I'm not too worried about email, as I have no problem at all setting that up.

Am I missing something easy here? I'd hate to have to sync all the contacts up to Google, and then back again... seems like the long way around, ya know?

Thanks!

Jeff
    My advice for your wife, as a former Centro user myself, is to stick with the Centro for the time being. The Outlook support in PalmOS is, regrettably, superior to WebOS. If she depends heavily on syncing with Outlook to run her business, she'll probably tear her hair out within a few days of switching to a Pre.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    My advice for your wife, as a former Centro user myself, is to stick with the Centro for the time being. The Outlook support in PalmOS is, regrettably, superior to WebOS. If she depends heavily on syncing with Outlook to run her business, she'll probably tear her hair out within a few days of switching to a Pre.
    That's kinda what I'm thinking as well. It's super easy with PalmOS.

If there was an easy way, either thru Software, or another way, I'd be open to it!

thanks!
    Not an Outlook person myself, but I was just curious and a quick google found this company ...

Sync CRM and PIM data with iPhone, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Google, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS - CompanionLink Software

It doesn't sync directly from Outlook to the Pre, but automatically does what you suggested ... use Google as a middleman to handle the sync. A little roundabout, but in some ways the best of all worlds ... you get access to everything from everywhere ... on your desktop (Outlook), your Pre, and in the "cloud" (from any computer).
    The best and easiest solution is to get an Exchange account. That way your wife's Outlook syncs with the Exchange server and so does the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Not an Outlook person myself, but I was just curious and a quick google found this company ...

Sync CRM and PIM data with iPhone, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Google, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS - CompanionLink Software

It doesn't sync directly from Outlook to the Pre, but automatically does what you suggested ... use Google as a middleman to handle the sync. A little roundabout, but in some ways the best of all worlds ... you get access to everything from everywhere ... on your desktop (Outlook), your Pre, and in the "cloud" (from any computer).
    I tried that, and trying to sync outlook to google first (then auto sync to Pre since you cant go from Pre->Outlook directly) just fouled up my outlook creating at least duplicates of contacts, even 4 copies of 1 contacts. Hasstle to go back through and delete 1000 contact duplicates. Plus when it syncs it takes a long time

Im in same boat have found no quick/simple solution to truly sync with Outlook
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I use CompanionLink. Like the software mentioned above, it syncs Outlook with Google. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well. I believe some of the problems I've encountered are not actually the fault of the software. The Pre simply does not always properly sync with Google.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The best and easiest solution is to get an Exchange account. That way your wife's Outlook syncs with the Exchange server and so does the Pre.
    Any idea on how to set that up? Do I go thru my hosting company, or is it something altogether different?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Since I don't need notes and tasks (too much) I can get by with Chapura, so I dropped the thirty bucks with an expectation that these and other features will be added in time.

The first things I would like to see them add is extended contact data like groups etc. and photos in contacts.

I might be a little paranoid, but I cringe at trusting my data to Google or FaceBook. A private Exchange account might be a viable option, but the cloud? No thank you!
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sipperphoto View Post
    Any idea on how to set that up? Do I go thru my hosting company, or is it something altogether different?

Thanks!
    Hosting companies often provide Exchange server mail hosting. If your hosting company doesn't offer it, you can get it directly from an email hosting service like Rackspace.

I actually use Chapura and don't mind at all. But I just use calendar and contact sync. If she really used tasks and notes frequently, it's not a good solution as of now.

I used to use hotsync with my 755p, but now I go with push email and I really don't miss having all those emails sitting on the old treo, or having to delete them.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    Hosting companies often provide Exchange server mail hosting. If your hosting company doesn't offer it, you can get it directly from an email hosting service like Rackspace.

I actually use Chapura and don't mind at all. But I just use calendar and contact sync. If she really used tasks and notes frequently, it's not a good solution as of now.

I used to use hotsync with my 755p, but now I go with push email and I really don't miss having all those emails sitting on the old treo, or having to delete them.
    I don't think the notes are a mandatory thing.. but it would be nice. Calendar and contact sync is probably all she would REALLY need in that regards.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sipperphoto View Post
    I don't think the notes are a mandatory thing.. but it would be nice. Calendar and contact sync is probably all she would REALLY need in that regards.
    Then Chapura is fine. Syncing over WiFi is pretty cool. She will need to have a computer with WiFi - that's the key. Both her Pre and computer must be logged into the same WiFi network for Chapura to work.

Yes, $30 is a little pricey, but if she uses it every day, it's worth it, IMHO. And I expect they will add additional functionality over time, as WebOS matures and gets a larger user base.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    If it helps, I was very worried about this and almost didn't switch to the Pre. Before I bought the Pre, I created a Google account for the sole purpose of syncing it with the Pre. I started with a blank calendar and contacts. First I exported my contacts from Outlook into a CSV file and imported them into Google. Next I downloaded the Google Calendar Sync from here: Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help and setup a 2 way sync with Outlook. I still use Outlook for my calendar but also use Google too and I sync with both my work and home laptop. It has been flawless so far. As for contacts, I have switched entirely to Google. I know it may not be the best solution for your wife but I can say that I am 100% happy with my switch to the Pre and don't regret making the move. I came from Windows Mobile so I was hesitant, but setting up Google ahead of time really helped ease my mind.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks all! Looks like we might try out Chapura, and see what happens! :-)