Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think i'm starting to see the light on the itunes situation. I really don't mess with the app until yesterday when I was syncing music. I noticed there were several tabs in itunes. There is an option to sync pics, podcasts, calendar and contacts. Of course it didn't work. But if palm is able to get calendar and contacts to work on the next update that would be awesome. Especially for those of us clammoring for a desktop solution. Heck I would even pay for that option since I've never had any luck with the current third party solution.

Quick correction: you can sync movies, music, and photos with itunes.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 09/16/2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: You can sync movies, music, and photos with itunes
    I wouldn't want to rely on itunes for much...apple will keep breaking it every chance they get, and at some point they'll probably break it for good. I wish palm would just work something out with apple...
    I believe they can't fully break it for good w/out rendering the elder generation of ipods useless. lolz.
    NO....Apple needs work with Palm, and maybe even play fair. MS always gets into Monopoly legal battles, YET nobody touches Apple...hmmm....hope Apple gets hit hard for once and maybe sink their arrogance.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    NO....Apple needs work with Palm, and maybe even play fair. MS always gets into Monopoly legal battles, YET nobody touches Apple...hmmm....hope Apple gets hit hard for once and maybe sink their arrogance.
    Apple has every right to make their software work the way they want it to work, and we have every right to buy/use it or not. We certainly don't have a "right" to sync with iTunes.

Whether or not it's a good business decision on Apple's part is debatable, but their right to exclude non-Apple devices isn't.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6.    #6  
    I was thinking that palm should work with apple. Maybe charge $20 for syncing and have a fair portion going to apple.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I just hope the iPod plugin for Songbird will be updated to handle album art - the moment that happens iTunes will be uninstalled from my computer for good.

Not holding my breath though - seems like they have some dev issues and progress has slowed to a crawl on that plugin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I was thinking that palm should work with apple. Maybe charge $20 for syncing and have a fair portion going to apple.
    Nobody would pay for syncing when you have tons of other options.
    Just STOP using and supporting iToons and Apple. There are so many other perfect programs for the computer out there. THEY ARE FREE TOO!. You can read in other threads about this over and over and over again. Use something else and STOP supporting Apple. After all they are a competitor of PALM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Apple has every right to make their software work the way they want it to work, and we have every right to buy/use it or not. We certainly don't have a "right" to sync with iTunes.

Whether or not it's a good business decision on Apple's part is debatable, but their right to exclude non-Apple devices isn't.
    If apple is only excluding the Pre and not all other devices, then it could be argued that they are not allowing fair trade, and as far as I know, that is illegal and monopolistic activity considering the Pre right now is the main competitor against the iphone.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    If apple is only excluding the Pre and not all other devices, then it could be argued that they are not allowing fair trade, and as far as I know, that is illegal and monopolistic activity considering the Pre right now is the main competitor against the iphone.
    Monopolistic practices relates to the market rather than individual devices, even if that was the case, the pre simply has not sold enough devices to be considered in that way, Maybe the Blackberry storm has?

As for itunes - I don't think it's intended to sync with any other devices? so the pre has not been singled out in that respect.
    Apple can do absolutely nothing to stop Palm from competing against them. If Palm needs to make use of Apple technology to survive, then I think that says something important about Palm. And forcing Apple to work with Palm is an infringement of the rights of Apple's owners to make use of their property as they see fit.

Yes, Apple's actions might fit within the contemporary definition of "anti-competitive" activities, but I find that definition to be both nonsensical and contrary to government's legitimate function.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Last I heard Apple was letting itunes sync with other devices. Things could have changed since I last read that.

I wouldn't say the storm is the main competitor. I would say that blackberry in general is a competitor. However, the Pre comes closest to approximating the iphone experience IMO, so I would still say it is the main competitor. But that might just be me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Last I heard Apple was letting itunes sync with other devices. Things could have changed since I last read that.

Any device can access the iTunes music library (I believe it's an XML database) -- Apple doesn't have to give permission for this. They actually publish the details so that third party companies know how to do it. This is how Blackberry and other devices do it. You do not need to run or use the iTunes app to access the music library.

Palm chose not to take the public/open approach and develop an application to tie into the music library. Instead they set up the Pre so that it is masquerading as an iPod and using Apple's own iTunes app to do the work. That's the problem.
    I think you're all missing the point.

This is free PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$. $They$ $couldn$'$t$ $give$ $a$ %@# $that$ $you$ $can$'$t$ $use$ $iTunes$...$they$ $already$ $have$ $a$ $partnership$ $with$ $Amazon$. $Think$ $about$ $it$...$every$ $time$ $apple$ $breaks$ $Pre$ $syncing$, $Twitter$ $and$ $the$ $tech$ $blogs$ $are$ $all$ $a$ $blaze$; $same$ $thing$ $happens$ $when$ $Palm$ $fixes$ $iTunes$ $sync$. $It$'$s$ $free$ $buzz$.

In the end, those who don't have a Pre nor care to know all the in's and out's of IP protection game hear that big bag Apple is throwing-down on little old Palm.

It a genius PRPRPR $scheme$.
    oh god...people STILL whining about itunes?

WHO
    CARES?

REALLY?

I have two ipods and two macs and i STILL don't care. efff itunes
    No it's not. What you are showing people is that you dont have a reliable way to use itunes and manage music and not supporting any other alternative. The only certainty is that you KNOW that Apple will keep breaking it leaving you without a reliable program unless you stay with the last version that did work.

The OP idea of finding a way to being able to sync contacts and calendars would be the worst thing to happen because when Apple breaks that too and users/business users cant sync their calendars and contacts... You will have very upset users and they wont be upset at Apple... They will be upset at Palm for not coming up with a better alternative.

It's silly for Palm to keep playing this. They have much bigger issues to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    It a genius PRPRPR $scheme$.
    amen...palm has bigger things on their plate...the whole itunes thing is last on my list of priorities, as it should be for everyone
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    If apple is only excluding the Pre and not all other devices, then it could be argued that they are not allowing fair trade
    That's a big "If"! I'm not aware of *any* non-Apple device that will sync via iTunes. Can you name one? Of course, many devices will sync WITH iTunes, but this is distinctly different from syncing VIA iTunes.
    Apple just doesn't like to play with others...

From the admin's on the J River Studios forum(about thier new software not working with the latest iPods/iPhone):
    We've spent many man-years supporting iPods. It has been expensive. It helps Apple sell hardware.

In return, Apple has added locks to prevent software like ours from working with new iPods. They've threatened lawsuits to those working on the problem.

I'm sorry you think we're to blame.
    Personally, I can't stand iTunes. There are SOOO many better programs out there. I've been using J River's stuff for a few years now, and I find it light years ahead of iTunes. I'd even venture to say that Apple stole some of the features of J River's players(I noticed some features popping up in iTunes after using those features in J River's software).

Plus, I can hook up ANY iPod to my computer via this software, and it won't autosync or wipe the iPod. I'm hoping my (soon to arrive) Pre will work with it though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast