Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    people STILL whining about itunes?

WHO
    CARES?

REALLY?

I have two ipods and two macs and i STILL don't care.
    yea, exactly.
    Itunes is so overrated! And using an 8gb device to store music is another story altogether....
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Palm is Lame to chase apple itunes. For those of you who want pre to sync with itunes get an IPHONE....Was there all this hooplay when other smart phones DIDNT sync with itunes..OMG NEXT
    Hell, now that Music (Remix) allows me to make playlists directly on the device, it's official: iTunes can kiss my a$$.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Hell, now that Music (Remix) allows me to make playlists directly on the device, it's official: iTunes can kiss my a$$.
    easy now, you're actually being logical about something.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    iTunes represents 69% market share of digital music as of H1 2009. Certainly a dominant position.

Now, let's say a company makes a device that I'll randomly call "Netscape player". Netscape player wants to interact with iTunes.

Apple prevents "Netscaper player" from working with iTunes. In addition, Apple ensures that iTunes only works with their device, a competing product to "Netscape Player".

Is there any anti-compete harm to the "Netscape player" here?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    iTunes represents 69% market share of digital music as of H1 2009. Certainly a dominant position.
    What you're missing is that Apple does not prevent people from syncing any device of their choosing against the iTunes database. They only prevent people from syncing via the iTunes software itself. Now, I think Apple is being stupid, anti-consumer, is biting off their nose to spite their face, and is taking action actively against the interests of the average iTunes user and iPod user. But this is all besides the point.

Apple doesn't prevent anyone from writing a program that will sync any random device with the contents of your iTunes database. There's a published API for doing so. They only don't support doing so via direct use of the software they wrote.

Kind of like complaining that Ford hates Sony if they don't pre-install Sony stereos in the cars ... when *any* aftermarket dealer can install any Sony stereo in any Ford. ANYone can write software that will sync the iTunes database with your favorite device. Apples doesn't prevent anyone from doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

Now, let's say a company makes a device that I'll randomly call "Netscape player". Netscape player wants to interact with iTunes.

Apple prevents "Netscaper player" from working with iTunes. In addition, Apple ensures that iTunes only works with their device, a competing product to "Netscape Player".

Is there any anti-compete harm to the "Netscape player" here?
    Apples (heh) to Oranges...

There are number of unsupported third-party programs created to help a user of iTunes to synchronize songs with any music player that can be mounted as an external drive. I guess if Palm did it that way and let the phone be recognized as an external drive then they would be just fine. You want to pretend your Pre is an iPod to sync... you get the door shut.

It's this waste of time Pre is doing when they have perfectly good alternatives. They don't have the time to waste. Apple could care less if they wanna play Cat and Mouse... cause they'll happily let them waste time until Palm is out of money and the users are out of patience waiting for fixes.
    Well, if you buy Missing Sync for Palm Pre, problem is solved for iTunes syncing. Yes, it's $40, but as you can see, Palm hasn't come up with a truly official iTunes Media Sync program. Missing Sync does local backup as well.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Apple has every right to make their software work the way they want it to work, and we have every right to buy/use it or not. We certainly don't have a "right" to sync with iTunes.

Whether or not it's a good business decision on Apple's part is debatable, but their right to exclude non-Apple devices isn't.
    Actually they are in violation of the agreement made in order to produce stuff that uses USB.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsie28 View Post
    Actually they are in violation of the agreement made in order to produce stuff that uses USB.
    Of course, it's even more true that Palm is in violation by spoofing another vendor's vendor ID. However, is it true that a vendor's software is not allowed to distinguish hardware by vendor ID or hardware ID?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Well, if you buy Missing Sync for Palm Pre...
    Does Missing Sync also sync other things to Palm Desktop? Contacts, Calendar, Notes, settings, configuration, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Well, if you buy Missing Sync for Palm Pre, problem is solved for iTunes syncing. Yes, it's $40, but as you can see, Palm hasn't come up with a truly official iTunes Media Sync program. Missing Sync does local backup as well.
    Yeah, I did that. But unfortunately Missing Sync doesn't make the playlists properly, if you have DRM'd music in the lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Does Missing Sync also sync other things to Palm Desktop? Contacts, Calendar, Notes, settings, configuration, etc?
    There are some major "missing" sync features, e.g. bookmarks/launchpoints created on the Pre, tasks, notes, and settings. It does not sync to Palm Desktop, but to the Missing Sync desktop app. Also, Missing Sync only syncs its own calendar, as Palm doesn't allow software to access calendars that are created by other software. It's rather lame, IMO. I wouldn't count on Missing Sync as a comprehensive sync solution.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Correction - iTunes does sync with other third party MP3 players. They have supported every Rio I have ever purchased.

I am a lifelong Mac user, and even I get pissed at some of the hypocritical things that Apple does. Especially when we are so quick to slam MS for their underhanded monopolization of everything.
    why are we still caring about itunes?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    why are we still caring about itunes?
    Because Palm promotes Itunes to its users?

I never have bought the good PRPRPR $angle$. $All$ $i$ $get$ $is$ $calls$ $from$ $friends$ &$amp$; $family$ $who$ $wonder$ $why$ $their$ $Pre$'$s$ $won$'$t$ $sync$ $anymore$ $and$ $blame$ $the$ $Pre$ $for$ $being$ $a$ $POS$.. $They$'$ve$ $no$ $clue$ $Apple$ $is$ $against$ $it$.

Another dumb argument is itunes having a majority of the music market. So what? RIM has over 50% of the US smartphone market..Apple has 20 something percent. Why then would Palm bother trying?

Because they're confident they have a unique product that can get part of the market even though most use RIM or Apple.

Most hook up to computers to sync, but Palm was confident people would prefer the cloud to sync.

Most use itunes to sync music but Palm was confident they had a better way...oops..sorry. Geez..palm might have over a million users now and they're encouraging them to use itunes? That's throwing a revenue source away. I suppose Palm and Amazon lack the resources to put together an alternative desktop sync program with store portal to amazon?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Correction - iTunes does sync with other third party MP3 players. They have supported every Rio I have ever purchased.
    I agree with you about irritation over many things that Apple does. There's a reason I own nothing whatsoever created or sold by Apple, except a very small number of iTunes songs.

I have a question: you were able to use the iTunes software itself to sync to a Rio? This wasn't a different software that synced from the iTunes database?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    apple is the new micro$oft. They never had my business and never will due to their childish crytunes sync behavior.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    apple is the new micro$oft.
    What so many people don't understand is that Apple was ALWAYS like this, from the very beginning. Part of the reason Apple never took over the world was due to their seeming obsessive need to control everything, whether it made sense to do so or not. This is nothing new.

Microsoft has always woo'd the developer. Apple has always told the developer, "You are lucky to have our platform to develop on. You'd better do things our way." Palm seems to be wooing developers, which is by far the better stance!

I'm simplifying and exaggerating a bit for effect here, but people think Apple has changed. It was always like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast