Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I can't get my yahoo account to link up my pre.....a friend of mine said I have to change my account to pop or pop3 or another pre supported format. Ooook that's just fine if you have gmail or aol.....but yahoo won't let you switch...I can only do so if I pay for yahoo plus or something....I can't just set up a new account with gmail........does anyone have any ideas.....does any think that palm will change what formats they will let anyone use.......jeffmcc
    Your friend is incorrect, you can get your yahoo mail just fine with a basic free yahoo account, there is nothing special to do other then adding a new account in email accounts and preferences.
    Here is an email overview if you are having difficulties:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-email-overview-video

If you are refering to syncing contacts with synergy then yes this is not available at this time, but as reviews are showing it a feature with pixi it will probably be released as soon as webos1.2 is released which will probably be soon.
    Last edited by rich_halvorson; 09/09/2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added synergy comment.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I just get ereor message.....do I use eas,imap or pop
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    My friend is right....the only thing is yahoo won't let me change it
    Actually your friend is not correct. You do not need to have a POP3 yahoo account. The Pre works perfectly with a free Yahoo account. Try removing the account from your Pre and then adding it again.
    And don't try to trick the Pre or manually set it up. Just put in your Yahoo e-mail address and password. The Pre will take care of the rest. What is happening behind the scenes is that the Pre is using a proxy IMAP server set up for Palm to give IMAP push capability to free Yahoo accounts. That's why you don't need a paid Yahoo account with POP3 service.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 09/09/2009 at 09:15 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I just want to put in my 2 cents...

You can create a new Gmail account, and then link your Yahoo account directly to it. You can also have your outgoing emails labeled as your Yahoo account, even though you're using Gmail.

Also, emails that come in from your Yahoo account will be labeled as such, so that there's no confusion.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    When I set it for imap....all it says is is like: "unable to sign in, unable to validate in coming mail server setting. Check settings and try again" I don't know what to do....I don't want to set up a gmail account...I just want it to work. When I linked my dad's basic yahoo account to his htc touch pro...it worked fine....any ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    When I set it for imap....all it says is is like: "unable to sign in, unable to validate in coming mail server setting. Check settings and try again" I don't know what to do....I don't want to set up a gmail account...I just want it to work. When I linked my dad's basic yahoo account to his htc touch pro...it worked fine....any ideas
    Okay, if you want to try to set it up manually, try this (Make sure you have a signal or it won't work):

1. From the email app, go to Preferences & Accounts
    2. Click Add An Account
    3. Tap the Email menu at the top and then choose Manual Setup
    4. Set the mail type to IMAP
    5. Type in your full Yahoo email address (ex. username@yahoo.com)
    6. For the incoming mail server type: palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    7. For the Username, type in your full Yahoo email address
    8. For password, your Yahoo password
    9. Change Encryption to SSL (this will change the port number to 993)
    10. Under Outgoing mail server, type palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    11. Set Use Authentication to ON
    12. Under Username, type your full Yahoo email address
    13. Enter your Yahoo password
    14. Change Encryption to SSL (this will change the port number to 465)
    15. Click Sign In

That should work for you.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    As a user has already said delete what you already have and just set it up with your email address:
    Open Mail
    go to Preferences and accounts
    Delete any yahoo account you currently have added.
    Click add an account:
    Enter your Email Address: yourname@yahoo.com
    Password: Enter your password
    Click Sign in.
    DO NOT go into the account and go into 'Change Login Settings'. There is nothing you should be doing here, but it sounds from your message that you are changing settings here.
    If you follow these simple directions you shouldn't have any problems.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I tried what "insp_gadget" said and all I get is: "unable to sign in." "could not sign in to account." "the mail sever responded: login failure.access denied."

What do I do?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I tried what "insp_gadget" said and all I get is: "unable to sign in." "could not sign in to account." "the mail sever responded: login failure.access denied."

What do I do?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I just tried it again and it says:" cheack incoming settings"
    Either the password is incorrect or your Yahoo account is inactive. Free Yahoo accounts have to be regularly used or they get deactivated (after 2 months, I think). You may have to log in via the website first to get your account going again.

For the password, verify that the Pre didn't inadvertantly capitalize the first letter (if it isn't supposed to be). The Pre briefly shows you what you type in masked fields, one letter at a time as you type.

Other than that, I don't know what else could be wrong. I have two regular free Yahoo accounts on my Pre (one I had to reactivate because I hadn't used it in a long time).
    Have you tried to log into the yahoo email account from the web? If you are able to log into the yahoo account there is not reason why you can't log in from the pre.

I was having the same problem when I set up my Pre. I went and logged into my yahoo account and found out that I was using the wrong password. It took me a few tries by I got my Yahoo email to work on the Pre.

Always start with deleting the account and staring with a new one.

good luck.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Mine has worked since release day just by entering the email address and password, letting the Pre do the rest. I did do the workaround to get my hotmail forwarded to my gmail account, but never had an issue with my yahoo one.

Would definitely try and log in from a computer first to make sure you have the correct email/password.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Still doesn't work.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    Still doesn't work.......
    So, you logged into your Yahoo account via your desktop and were able to access your mail without any problems, yet you still can't get your Pre to access the e-mail?

Hmmm, well I don't know what else to tell you. By all accounts, if you followed the instructions here it should work. I assume you tried both the instructions I gave and doing it as Rich suggested?

Either way should have worked. Not sure what else to try.

Just on the off chance.... For the outgoing mail settings, in the username field, try using just your Yahoo ID (without the @yahoo.com).

Anybody else got any ideas?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Mine has worked since release day just by entering the email address and password, letting the Pre do the rest. I did do the workaround to get my hotmail forwarded to my gmail account, but never had an issue with my yahoo one.

Would definitely try and log in from a computer first to make sure you have the correct email/password.
    I did mine the same way and I'm not having any problem getting my Yahoo mail.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Jeffmcc, have you tried making a new Yahoo account and seeing if the Pre will work with it? This would serve as a litmus test to see if the problem is specific to your existing Yahoo account or specific to your Pre.

If it works with a new Yahoo account, you might want to change the password on your old Yahoo account (using the Yahoo site). The Pre doesn't impose password complexity like the Yahoo site, but perhaps some hop between your Pre and Yahoo Mail is having problems with it. I used to have a short password on my Yahoo Mail (set before they implemented password complexity requirements) and my Pre would occasionally barf when trying to send/receive mail.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast