Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I'm, sorry this is becoming subpar. who argues over this..all this time if Palm wants us "sync" why not create there own software..draging and dropping is fine with me I dont use my phone as my main .mp3 play anyways, just like I dont use my Pre to complete homework instead of my computer....Phone companies need to quit competing with "apple/iphone" and trying to MATCH them instead they need to SURPASS them become innovative stop giving so much credit to this iphone its getting old not everyone likes it or wants it or they would have it .
    I largely agree and don't use sh**-tunes anymore, but the sad fact is, a large portion of the market is made up of the 'set-it-and-forget-it' type. They don't want to do anything other than plug their devices in. Don't tell them about dragging and dropping cause it will go in one ear come out the next. Plus a lot people have already built up a large number of playlists over the years, so the thought of having to redo everything or conform to a new method is too painful. They'd rather stick with a brand they know will work the way they want it to or wait it out.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    iTunes is ok but its not a pure necessity. I have both PC & Macs... Doubletwist is a great substitute for the Mac when trying to sync media to the Pre (or any device) For PC there are a slew of apps. My favs are Doubletwist and Media Monkey.

Palm should really let this go and start on offering full BT compatibility as well as OBDEX. Being able to send files via BT is essential and should be standard for "Smart Phones" specially for one which hold to the "Synergy" theme. True the Pre is great but its not fully synergistic until it offers BT file transfer.

Come on Palm.... Lets get "Real" features which will take this phone to the next level!
    Not just that, they also want converts from the iPhone. Persons are not going to convert unless they can EASILY get all the music and videos they purchased for their iPhone / iPod. The easiest way to do this, by far, is what those iOwners already know how to use.... iTunes. So there you have it. They need iTunes to convert people from Apple.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ia517 View Post
    Can someone explain to me the point up upgrading itunes?
    What is the difference between say itunes 8 and itunes 9?
    If you wanted to buy new music, back under Fairplay when they were changing/tweaking the DRM with each release, you *had* to upgrade. I don't know if this is still true with stuff that is still DRM-restricted. (TV shows and movies are still DRMed, right?)

Otherwise, I agree.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Isn't it better in the long run to have the Pre report to the USB port that it is a Palm Pre and not an imposter.
    If you don't choose "Media Sync" then that's exactly what it does.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    But they are breaking rules set by the USB standard. Which Palm has already filed a complaint over.
    Of course, by spoofing someone else's ID, Palm is also breaking rules set by the USB standard....
    Itunes sucks!

if you want or like Itunes then why bother updating to 9.0. If it works for you then leave well enough alone.

If I wanted Itunes I would have bought an Iphone. Just my opinion, Who cares right?
    I bought an ITouch ver.2 because I DO want to use ITunes. Right after my purchase, Palm annonced that the PRE will synch with ITunes. I didnt care how the PRE accomplished this...as long as it works...and it did......uintil Apple decided to block it. Now who would I blame my not being able to synch with iTunes..Palm..or Apple?.....Apple!!!...why?...because they disabled the ability to synch with the Pre. i purhcased music and i have every right to put it on any device that I wish. There's nothing in Apple's agreement that says that I HAVE to have an Apple media product to use ITunes. In my book, Apple is infringing on MY right to place MY music on any device I like. The big picture is that no one big company should be given or have so much power that it infringes on one's right to choice!!!.....PALM FIGHT ON!!!!!!!

Edit: yes, i also have D-Twist.....also a choice. Again,it's about a person's choice!!!!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    My question is why would people penalize Palm (by not buying a Pre) when Apple is the one blocking the sync? .
    What you're missing is that there are large masses of people who will only use what they know. Once they have used iTunes, they won't easily change to using a different music library app. We may all agree that iTunes is pretty bloated and far from how friendly it could be. That other solutions are better or nicer or faster or whatever. But this is irrelevant to many who already know iTunes and will only buy a device that will sync with the program their music is already in.

These folks aren't thinking about punishing this vendor or praising that vendor. It's simply about doing what they have always done without having to learn a new way to do things.

Me, I don't buy a phone to be a music device. Especially one that is 8GB with no card slot. If I could add a $40 16GB flash card or a 32GB flash card to hold my music, then I would consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Not just that, they also want converts from the iPhone. Persons are not going to convert unless they can EASILY get all the music and videos they purchased for their iPhone / iPod. The easiest way to do this, by far, is what those iOwners already know how to use.... iTunes. So there you have it. They need iTunes to convert people from Apple.
    You can use DoubleTwist which is essentially exactly same layout as iTunes also it will read the info from iTunes and make it syncable to whatever phone you use.
    If you could easily tell millions of people to convert away from iTunes, then there wouldn't be an anti trust case against MS in Europe where they have to give people an opt out of Internet Explorer screen. People use what they know.
  12. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Of course, by spoofing someone else's ID, Palm is also breaking rules set by the USB standard....
    Exactly and Apple may well just say that they are simply verifying that all the information provided by the devices matches - i.e. it doesn't say Palm at one point and Apple at another.

The end game here could be that if Palm spoof everything Apple move to checking the formatting on the device and helpfully offer to reformat any "iPod" that looks like it has a corrupt file system. Actually offering this "service" to the user would be justification enough for insisting that all information coming from a USB device matches. After all they wouldn't want to attempt to reformat the wrong device now would they?

In fact a warning message about corrupt formats and all data being lost would probably be the end or Pre-iTunes syncing regardless of whether iTunes could reformat the Pre or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Itunes sucks!

if you want or like Itunes then why bother updating to 9.0. If it works for you then leave well enough alone.

If I wanted Itunes I would have bought an Iphone. Just my opinion, Who cares right?
    iTunes 9 has a lot of new features and a better user interface. I think it would be worth the upgrade for people that use it.
    Had PRE now for a few weeks...How long did it take PALM to send update last time the Itunes blocked the PRE...if this is the reason webOS update was delayed I am trying to figure out how long delay could be...I don't even use Itunes
    good to know that the talented developers at Palm are wasting their time in an infantile ego duel with apple instead of enabling business and research customers with the essentials (word doc edits, bluetooth push, a real pdf capability) that are glaringly absent right now.

even better to know that I am paying for their foolish follies by being less productive than I could be.

good Jobs Palm. good to know you got your priorities straight.

I think we should stop mocking the Pixi as the little, superficial mini Pre, and instead recognize the Pre as a meager, glorified Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    If and I say again *IF* Palm delayed v1.2 just to fix iTunes syncing then they really do deserve to fail because they are foolishly wasting time and resources on a minor feature which they should never have implemented in first place, rather than prioritising fixing the holes in WebOS. When you have limited resources you should expend them on the things that matter most.

I don't believe that using iTunes to sync their media is a particularly important feature for most Pre users, especially when the device only has ~7GB of non-expandable memory available. Palm should have just used the established means of syncing with iTunes, which is to create your own application and give it the ability to parse the iTunes XML library file.

It's simple, it puts things pretty much under your control and it doesn't require you to expend resources to spoof Apple devices every time they update iTunes. It also leaves your users with a working application (with it's own media library) if anything happens to iTunes letting you fix any issues that may arise from a major upgrade by Apple at your leisure.

Palm also need to stop trying to tweak Apple's tail and hoe their own row. What was the point of announcing the Pixi on a day when it was guaranteed to be buried under an avalanche of Apple coverage? Stupid!!

Palm have created a great OS that still needs quite a bit of work. They should be concentrating on improving it, resolving their hardware issues, getting the device into as many markets as possible and expanding the range of devices running WebOS instead of wasting so much as a single developer day playing cat and mouse with Apple. I'd like to see a phone with a much larger screen, 3.6" or so and also a thin MID style device that has a 6.25" or more likely a 7" 1024 pixel wide display, also running WebOS.

More information on the Library.xml file from the Apple support website.:

What are the iTunes library files?

"iTunes Music Library.xml
    This file contains some (but not all) of the same information stored in the iTunes Library file. The purpose of the iTunes Music Library.xml file is to make your music and playlists available to other applications on your computer. In Mac OS X other iLife applications (like iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie) use this file to make it easier for you to add music from your iTunes library to your projects."
    Everybody needs to chill out and realize it's not about you. The people who read and reply on this board are a vast MINORITY of Pre owners. I-Tunes is the largest multimedia hub available, like it or not, period end of story. The vast majority of people have no idea about other options, and use I-Tunes because everyone else did. As a result the consumer that Palm is marketing to uses I-Tunes, typically has a large catalog, and just wants it to work. They certainly won't take the time to find another option i.e Media Monkey etc.) Personally I cant stand I-Tunes, but again its not about me! I personally love the fact they they keep tweaking apple, quite frankly its given Palm priceless free marketing exposure. Given the simplicity of the fixes, I can't believe they are spending a lot of time or money to create them. So just chill out and watch Palm give Apple the bird again, and as a result sell a few phones.
    any word on how they did it or if it's fixable?
    DONATOM3.....I like the referece to Mad Max....LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    any word on how they did it or if it's fixable?
    Dont upgrade to 9.0 Its very simple!
    The last thing that was obviously wrong with Palm's Media Sync was the USB device info was still identifying the Manufacture as Palm Inc. (webOS 1.1 changed the Vendor ID from Palm to Apple, which is what got it working again last time.) Is there any way we can see if iTunes is now also checking this info? If it is, then this will probably be a quick fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    So I do like iTunes sync. But a great alternative if Apple continues to block Palm is a partnership with Amazon.

They should get together, take Songbird (open source so no problem), customize it to connect to the Amazon music story (simple plugin), add ability to browse and buy, and sync with Pre.

Then you could buy online or via the phone application, pull songs and playlists fron iTunes if that is your choice, manage playlists and music in Songbird, and sync up. Great solution and not very difficult.

Then the next step would be to integrate video!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast