webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Synergy and Synchronization > iTunes 9 DOES break Pre sync!
iTunes 9 DOES break Pre sync!

Old 09/09/2009, 02:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
Im curious as to how it has been stopped by Apple.
Palm was spoofing the USB id. They could have put in some other detector targeted towards the Pre. Or used another identifier for the iPods other than the USB id.
gage006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 02:54 PM   #42 (permalink)

Apple can suck it...
Old 09/09/2009, 02:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Editor Emeritus

title changed
Old 09/09/2009, 02:57 PM   #44 (permalink)

there is nothing useful to me in the itunes download. i'll stick with whatever old version i have. it's basically just an app delivery platform now. that's all they concentrate on. They haven't addressed any of the issues i have with the media player, like folder monitoring or resource hogging, and they have no intention to do so.
9thWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 02:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Its not the end of the world like I said before webos 23.6 ..apple will give up on breaking sync.
One_Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 02:58 PM   #46 (permalink)

Hmm interesting. In the iPhone/iTouch 3.1.1 update, iTunes 9 support is noted in the changelog. So even apple had to update their devices to work with 9. I guess best way is for Palm to download those files and see what they changed on the iPhone to make it work with iTunes.

donatom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Dieter Bohn
Old 09/09/2009, 02:59 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
Palm was spoofing the USB id. They could have put in some other detector targeted towards the Pre. Or used another identifier for the iPods other than the USB id.
That much I knew but were bound to find out how it was blocked this time around right?
Klownicle#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 02:59 PM   #48 (permalink)

If you already upgraded and want to go back, here's the link for 64 bit. Still trying to find a link for the 32 bit version.:

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....nes64Setup.exe
Old 09/09/2009, 03:00 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
Hmm interesting. In the iPhone/iTouch 3.1.1 update, iTunes 9 support is noted in the changelog. So even apple had to update their devices to work with 9. I guess best way is for Palm to download those files and see what they changed on the iPhone to make it work with iTunes.
at least apple actually delivered an update. wish palm could do ALOT more.
9thWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 03:01 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
at least apple actually delivered an update. wish palm could do ALOT more.
Palm releases updates a lot faster than Apple. Would you like an updated every 6 months that only grants features to the newest device?
Thanked By: Elysian893
Old 09/09/2009, 03:01 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
someone email Dieter. And THIS is THE REASON 1.2 is delayed folks. Lets go Palm, get to work. Thanks iharley
How about Palm get to work on making normal .m3u playlists work so we don't have to use the trash that is iTunes? Anyone else agree with me? Why waste time on this nonsense when an standard format doesn't work?
estockda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RanGT
Old 09/09/2009, 03:02 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
Well my old 5G iPod works fine with 9.0 without any updates. So I don't think that should be a problem.
Tamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 03:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
If you already upgraded and want to go back, here's the link for 64 bit. Still trying to find a link for the 32 bit version.:
I can't post a link but go to FileHippo and search for iTunes. They have versions that go WAY back.
Tamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 03:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

Can't Palm get over this.

Isn't it better in the long run to have the Pre report to the USB port that it is a Palm Pre and not an imposter.

That way developers can use that information to do some stuff (built some specialized apps) with the Pre being connected to a computer.

Isn't that a better option for Palm, than playing this childish game.

Rob

PS I wonder how much time was being wasted trying to get around Apple's iTunes that could have gone into fixing the existing problems in the WebOS and maybe even building one of their own music/etc transfer programs?
Version 1.4.1.1
Sprint Configuration 2.3
Model: P100EWW
Hardware Version: A
Firmware: CC1.4(510)

rlanza1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by estockda, jay2, Mitalis, terryg
Old 09/09/2009, 03:05 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerz View Post
Well my old 5G iPod works fine with 9.0 without any updates. So I don't think that should be a problem.
Yeah looking at the changelog more closely it looks like it's just updates to support advanced features of 9.
donatom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 03:06 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
rut ro
LMFAO

Although, for the record, I've been using DoubleTwist or MediaMonkey to sync my stuff to the Pre - both blow iTunes away... DT because it automatically converts/compresses media (read:video) to a more reasonable size for the Pre, and MediaMonkey for music because it's infinitely configurable... Both would work for music, but only DT currently for video.

Lee
Old 09/09/2009, 03:08 PM   #57 (permalink)

Here is a site to get the older itunes if you want them. Sorry if i broke a rule posting that, if i did i am terribly sorry.

itunes - App Downloads – Katz
Partyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jakerome
Old 09/09/2009, 03:09 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
Can't Palm get over this.

Isn't it better in the long run to have the Pre report to the USB port that it is a Palm Pre and not an imposter.

That way developers can use that information to do some stuff (built some specialized apps) with the Pre being connected to a computer.

Isn't that a better option for Palm, than playing this childish game.

Rob

PS I wonder how much time was being wasted trying to get around Apple's iTunes that could have gone into fixing the existing problems in the WebOS and maybe even building one of their own music/etc transfer programs?
palm is more like the underdog who only want to sync itunes to there users. And apple being the big selfish bad guy. When it give them more money when pre users can buy from the itune store.
One_Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 03:09 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
If apple specifically restricted the Pre, but allows other 3rd party media players to sync, how fast do you think Palm would sue them over breaking fair trade laws?

Apple cannot restrict a specific party if they want to continue to exist as a company.
Complex Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2009, 03:13 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
If apple specifically restricted the Pre, but allows other 3rd party media players to sync, how fast do you think Palm would sue them over breaking fair trade laws?

Apple cannot restrict a specific party if they want to continue to exist as a company.
They don't allow other 3rd parties to. That's exactly what Palm is battling over. I think they feel like Apple needs to open up their software and that is why they're going through all this.

As far as the fair trade law, I don't think that applies here. But they are breaking rules set by the USB standard. Which Palm has already filed a complaint over. We'll see if anything happens over that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0