1.    #1  
    I work for a very company and looking for a device upgrade and hate Blackberry's. Can somebody point me to a review of how well the Palm Pre handles MS Exchange? I know it handles basic MS Exchange very well but beyond the basic.

My questions I are, lookup's? Accepting/Declining Meeting requests? Syncing Tasks?

Thanks for the help
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    I know that it does a pretty adequate job at syncing tasks. I haven't had to acknowledge a meeting request yet so can't tell you on that point.
    Seems to work here. Immediate sync of email/contact/calendar. Had an Exchange Client meeting request arrive and I responded. Worked fine.

So far so good.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I have mine set up to connect to my exchange 2003. The connection and receiving emails is fantastic. I may be mistaken, but I recall getting a meeting request and it handling just fine. I remember it then showing up in my calendar. But I don't remember having the various options, like being able to to request a different time (to the email request). I don't think there were any of the update type options in the calendar either.

Tasks sync, but I don't like the order in which they display in the list. I also thought there was something screwy with the way I "complete" recurring items (I set tasks to pay my own monthly bills). I do believe the coming OS update lists the tasks in the order I prefer them (I will like that).

It is a huge bummer for me that notes do not sync. I have found a workaround with evernote, but it is not the same by any means. I would prefer for Notes to just sync. Hopefully it will, but I still like the device anyway.

Lookups are pretty fast. It does a thorough search (as I can see). When you start typing a recipients name, there are two lists that appear below your entry: The first is searching your own contacts for me, my outlook contacts list, stored in exchange. The next has exchange as the heading, seeming checking against the GAL in exchange. I imagine another would search Palm's contact list, or Gmail, but I don't have any there, so I don't see that. The Lookup should more than adequately meet your needs.

I don't have any article to point you towards. I also just read your post again: Are you thinking of a device to upgrade the office? Or an upgrade just for yourself?

I liked my blackberry, but wanted an upgrade from my 8703e. I was anticipating something like the tour. I pointed my brother towards the Pre when he was finally thinking of succumbing to the iPhone. It was so cool, I decided to go for the Pre myself. I have loved it. I also anticipate getting into more things, like remote connectivity to my work computer or having the ability to reboot a server.

I am also the BES administrator. Last week we had a problem with the BES (that would be fixed with just a reboot, or restarting a bunch of services that went sour). On the minus side, I didn't realize there was a problem because my Pre was still getting messages without any problem. On the plus side, when people wrote emails asking for help very early in the morning, Pacific time, I was the only one in my department to get the email (As my coworkers had the same BlackBerry problem). I was able to connect remotely from home and reboot that server, fixing the problem, before any of us would even have been at work.

Good Luck,
    Dave
    Hi,

E-mail syncing and operations work just fine. You can send e-mail to individuals, groups (including those on your GAL), and one offs. I have a couple of tasks listed but we don't use the tasks function that much where I work so I can't comment on how complete it it.

Appointments and the calendar are a different deal. It handles the requests you receive from other people just fine. It also allows you to create an appointment for yourself just fine. If you want to create a meeting request from your phone, well, you just can't do that right now. There aren't that many times that I've needed to create a meeting using my phone but it would be nice if you could add invitees to an appointment without having to resort to creating it on your PC.

Other than that the Pre does Exchange e-mail just about as well as any other EAS type device with the same features and limitations. For instance, you're not able to set your Out Of Office message using EAS. We checked on the Pre, iPhone 3Gs, and an old PPC 6700. You are able to set your OOO on a Blackberry using BES.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by l0pher View Post
    I know that it does a pretty adequate job at syncing tasks. I haven't had to acknowledge a meeting request yet so can't tell you on that point.
    My wife sent me a meeting reques from her GroupWise system to my Exchange system. The Pre handled it fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Hi,

E-mail syncing and operations work just fine. You can send e-mail to individuals, groups (including those on your GAL), and one offs. I have a couple of tasks listed but we don't use the tasks function that much where I work so I can't comment on how complete it it.

Appointments and the calendar are a different deal. It handles the requests you receive from other people just fine. It also allows you to create an appointment for yourself just fine. If you want to create a meeting request from your phone, well, you just can't do that right now. There aren't that many times that I've needed to create a meeting using my phone but it would be nice if you could add invitees to an appointment without having to resort to creating it on your PC.

Other than that the Pre does Exchange e-mail just about as well as any other EAS type device with the same features and limitations. For instance, you're not able to set your Out Of Office message using EAS. We checked on the Pre, iPhone 3Gs, and an old PPC 6700. You are able to set your OOO on a Blackberry using BES.
    Exactly.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    The biggest issue I have with it, is the lack of a single "inbox". If you have rules setup, you need to "look" for your messages in the other folders. You could set them as favorites on the Pre, but it is still not an elegant solution.

Evernote on Pre is a huge disappointment.
    I don't have much to add, but just wanted to say that we have Exchange 2007 in my company and Pre works great. There are some meeting request issues: can't create a new meeting and invite people from Pre, replying to meeting requests doesn't send anything, and meetings seem to be owned by me in Outlook even though I was the organizer (though it appears there are other EAS phones that do the same).

Other than those issues, fantastic. GAL searching is awesome.
    I thought my sync to Exchange was working fine. Then I noticed I am missing old appointments. They are still there in outlook but gone on the pre.

Is there a way to force the pre to sync all calendar events. I have my mail set to sync only the past month (more than enough) but I need all of my appointment past, present and future?
    I still can't get it to send acceptances/declines to those who invite me to meetings. That's a major bug, IMHO, but I don't see much discussion of it. (I've raised it several times here and at the Palm boards to no avail.) Anyone else have this issue?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    EAS works fine for me.

A few quirks:
    * HTML e-mails get translated (viewed and composed) oddly on the Pre, viewing the same e-mail sent to my POP or IMAP accounts are normal
    * Unable to send a response when working with meeting requests, I don't use this much though there are times when a reply is needed.
    * Unable to view attached messages, Exchange will attach them as .EML files and the Pre does not know what to do with them.
    * Unable to determine the amount of time calendar items are kept.

The normal items work really well. I am pleasantly surprised on the GAL integration.