Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm surprised to see no posts regarding gmail being down. This is one of the main reasons why I think palm is going the wrong direction with relaying on google in regards to calendar and contact info syncing with pre. Its ok to have info as a cloud as one solution but there should also be a palm desktop solution.
    How long has it been down? I just sync'd my email this morning just fine.
    It seemed yesterday when Gmail went dead, I still received notifications from Gmail on my Pre.

Now that Gmail is back up, it seems when I get new emails, it's not notifying me on the phone.

Any ideas? Is this happening to anyone else?

Jeff
    Ya just check my gmail acct. It's fine??? Could be on your end m8?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I do not use GMAIL personally but have you tried removing the battery and replacing it, or even just doing a soft reset to see if it would resume connectivity afterwards?

Dave
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I agree, i use gmail and am not having any problems. Try a reset and see if that helps.
    It was down yesterday for almost two hours (100 minutes), but only the web UI was impacted (IMAP and POP were not). I see your point about trusting the cloud, but between client side storage (which the Pre has) and the fact that no online service is 99.9% reliable, I really don't think it's a big deal, which is probably why it wasn't talked about more.

Here's Google's post-mortem on the outage: GMail Blog
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    No problem here and personally, I love Gmail integration.
    Resetting now... see if it makes a change. It was working fine early this morning... then about the time I got to work, no mas!
    Yeah I experienced the outage, PC side yesterday. Picked up my Pre and was able to grab that email I needed. Pre ftw.
    Palm isn't forcing you to use GMail. There are other options.

I haven't had any GMail issues. I am using Google Apps for Business so maybe it has higher priority than the normal GMail users.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It didn't affect Pre users at all - Palm even Tweeted that.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    It didn't affect Pre users at all - Palm even Tweeted that.
    The only way I've found to accept meeting requests through Gmail is to log into the Web portal and accept them from there. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$'$t$ $accept$ $meeting$ $invites$ $directly$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$ $so$, $yeah$...$the$ $Web$ $portal$ $being$ $down$ $DID$ $affect$ $Pre$ $users$.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    It was down yesterday for almost two hours (100 minutes), but only the web UI was impacted (IMAP and POP were not). I see your point about trusting the cloud, but between client side storage (which the Pre has) and the fact that no online service is 99.9% reliable, I really don't think it's a big deal, which is probably why it wasn't talked about more.
    I'm also confused by the original post. Google guarantees an incredible 99.9% reliability and yet people are worried about a downtime of 100 minutes out of 525,948 minutes in a year.

Google Apps

There are many other things that will go wrong before gmail goes down such as interruptions in power to your home and internet access.
    I've been using Gmail for over 3 years, and that's the worst outage that they have had. Gmail has provided more reliable e-mail service than any ISP I relied upon previously.
    Yes Gmail was out yesterday, and guess what the only people ho had access to their gmail and contacts were people who had an IMAP or POP3 client setup, and people using a phone that used the same protocol such as everyone on a Pre. Obviously everyone here had only been checking their Gmail on their Pre. The mail servers didn't go down, the web interface did.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I couldn't access Gmail on my laptop during the brief outage, but was still receiving my emails (gmail) on my Pre during the outage
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    I couldn't access Gmail on my laptop during the brief outage, but was still receiving my emails (gmail) on my Pre during the outage

That's because Gmail's Imap was still working fine. What went down was their gmail web interface. If you had your gmail setup on your laptop through thunderbird or windows live mail, or outlook, you would have had full access to all your emails through those programs during the outage of the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    I've been using Gmail for over 3 years, and that's the worst outage that they have had. Gmail has provided more reliable e-mail service than any ISP I relied upon previously.
    I'll second this. I've been using gmail since it was beta when you had to get someone to invite you to use it, and invites were limited. This is the FIRST time I've ever experienced an issue when I couldn't log in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I'm surprised to see no posts regarding gmail being down. This is one of the main reasons why I think palm is going the wrong direction with relaying on google in regards to calendar and contact info syncing with pre. Its ok to have info as a cloud as one solution but there should also be a palm desktop solution.
    And what if a person's desktop goes down?
    Seriously, you are attaching a single source problem and treating it as if it's a systemic problem.
    I'm assuming you meant relying, not relaying. Palm did not rely on Google in regards to calendar and contact info. They offered that as one of the avialble options.
    GMail going down didn't affect me, I don't use it for calendaring. I use Exchange. If that goes down, it wouldn't matter if I was syncing to a desktop solution or over the air using EAS - I'd have the same problem, it would be down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast