Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm curious if there's a way to have Gmail or the Palm Pre trigger an alarm if an email is received from a certain address or with a certain subject line.

I'm monitoring some SQL server jobs that run at 1:00AM and it would be great if I knew about failures before our support center does. I receive a Gmail email upon failure, but I need an alarm of some type to wake me up.
    The only thing you could do is have a specific Gmail account for your notifications and have it set to ring when an email comes in.

Open email - Preferences and Accounts - Choose account - toggle Play Sound.

If you use My Notifications program from Homebrew, you could have a pretty annoying sound play for your emails. Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    There just aren't that many great ways to customize alerts/ringtones/etc yet-- that'll be a future release of the PalmOS I'm sure.

One hack I came up with, since I must monitor job logs for my work as well (sup IT buddy):
    1) Set up a new gmail account (baxtardALERT10248@gmail.com)
    2) Add a rule to your corporate inbox to forward joblog alerts to your new gmail account
    3) On the pre, add your new acct to the Mail accounts (click Mail icon, then upper left, "Preferences & Accounts")
    4) Under your new acct on the pre, you can specify "Play Sound" for when you get a message.

This is a crappy workaround but it'll give you a fighting chance to get notified as soon as you receive the message with what we currently have.

I'm sure sometime in the future someone (or Palm) will deliver us some flexibility & options, but for now we've gotta hack
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Similarly, there's an app out there that will play a different alert for each of your SMS contacts. If you can send your alerts as an SMS message (hint: you can use phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com if you can only send to an e-mail address) that would work. You'll need to add the sender to your contacts, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post

I'm sure sometime in the future someone (or Palm) will deliver us some flexibility & options, but for now we've gotta hack
    The WebOS email client needs to be able to push email to the phone from all folders not just the Inbox. It also needs to support a different alert per folder (Yet another Chattermail feature that didn't make it over).
    I just wanna say...the dumbest thing about this phone is not being able to customize alerts out of the box. I really don't get what Palm was thinking. If they want this to be a legit business phone, you have to have that! I have never heard of ANY other phone made within the past 6 years that didn't have this feature. I'd love an explanation to why they didn't include it.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    I just wanna say...the dumbest thing about this phone is not being able to customize alerts out of the box. I really don't get what Palm was thinking. If they want this to be a legit business phone, you have to have that! I have never heard of ANY other phone made within the past 6 years that didn't have this feature. I'd love an explanation to why they didn't include it.
    ]

My guess, answer is: we ran out of time and there were more important things.

There are many of these things. Yes, some are (if you think about it) likely intentional. Others, like this, are most likely simply that they ran out of time. If you look at the code for notifications, it sort of suggests that that there's more to come.